Gentlemen, I present... the ".220 REDLINE"

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by fredo, Sep 15, 2017.

1. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

I am looking forward to putting a round or two down range with that rifle. When we are done the space place can be called the 19th hole! outta be craters where groundhogs stood!

2. Huckleberry75

Huckleberry75

That is an expensive "T-shirt", I have one too. Yowza, it was fun though.

Shoebox likes this.
  3. 284winner

284winner Silver $$ Contributor

What stock will it set in ?

4. fredo

fredo Silver $$ Contributor

Ultimately, in a Micky GameScout that is on order.
    McMillan is like 3-4 months on lead time, but I have an A3 that's already been bedded to this action. So, I will just drop 'er in there to get up & runnin'...
    The #4 contour barrel should finish out somewhere under 12 lbs, slung & loaded? That'll soak up some recoil & still be manageable to carry. I sure like having a bit of mass to 'settle' a field bipod/tripod, etc. And this sucker is gonna get some blood on it, I promise!

17VLD likes this.
  5. long40shot

long40shot Gold $$ Contributor

When do you think you'll have the barreled action in hand?

6. 284winner

My new Ackley build sits at 15 lbs on a bipod. The 30" straight taper barrel helped that number considerably. It's NOT manageable to carry but i will make it work. Carrying it across fields is doable. Mine sits in a Boyd's pro varminter just purchased here. Perfect fit for this gun. Hard to beat a McMillan in any of the "A" configurations. Look forward to hearing how that 220 performs. My decision to do the 22-250 Ackley was a good one for now. I still have that itch to step up to the 22-243 AI. Once this barrel is smoked, I'll run that one next.

17VLD likes this.
  7. fredo

John, my .22-243AI is a #4 contour @ 27", in a GameScout. I LOVE how that rifle swings & sits on bipod/stix/tripod. It's juust heavy enough to be steady, but not too much on the shoulder to hike a bit with. No complaints after a few days of contest hunting with lots of back & forth at a decent pace. The overall length is not great, but I'm tall enough to cross-carry it behind the back. And that extra length is wonderful for controlling swing on movers...

I pretty much modeled the REDLINE to the same ergos. "Cept, this GameScout will have an adjustable cheekpiece to address the one shortcoming of that stock...comb height. Hope McMillan's 'swirl' of colors comes out lookin' wacky!!!

Your .22-250AI is a dandy! Very efficient for what it does. And the 22Creed does seem to have a growing fan base, for good reason. It can make some pretty good speed, too. Once ya get those 75-80s over 3400, you're doing something!

Good ya held off on the .22-243AI, though. If this REDLINE pans out, the step up in performance might friggin' obsolete it! :cool: IN truth, I'll always have a 22.243AI, just for what it does on a standard SA .473" BF...

Waitin' on good news from 'smith!!!
    Good thing I got a thermal scope to mess with in the meantime. Killin' predators after dark has never been so easy! And the .17Predator makes for a dandy 0-250yd pin point killer...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I shudder to think what the REDLINE might do to a pretty grey fox? :eek:

nmkid and thekriebles like this.
  8. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Fredo,

What type of thermal scope are you running? How do you like it? Thanks and Happy Holidays. :D:D

Paul

9. fredo

Trail XQ50.
    It's BADAZZ, this pic doesn't near do it justice, coyote @ 150yds.
    The firmware for StreamVision app leaves something to be desired, as all the snow/cornstalks & brush don't seem to make it thru being compressed into a data file. IE, the image thru the viewfinder is MUCH better and very useable...
    [​IMG]

CTshooter and boltfluter like this.
  10. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

I gotta stop logging onto this post! Every time I visit I start getting an itch!!

11. Preacher

Preacher Silver $$ Contributor

Scratch it !!!!!

nakneker, fredo and 17VLD like this.
  12. snert

Fredo! You are officially now my best friend! Thermal imaging!! Dang! I might even return to NY for a crack at that.

Merry Christmas and may your holidays be pleasant.

Snert

13. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

Can't. Just scratched it 2 days ago for a new RRA .223 Varminter!!

14. 284winner

Initial testing with my rig gets me in the 3500 fps range with no pressure issues and accuracy that's less than half inch out to 500 yards. Shooting 80 ELDM and jumping them a bit. The 30" barrel is taking credit for the added speed. Looks like a winner. After shooting it in an 8 twist barrel and getting that kind of speed, I'm thinking that 9 twist you chose is about right for that extra speed you'll get from that SAUM case. Not nearly as much in the RPM area either. An 8 twist would smoke the jackets right off them bullets. Look forward to the end result in your project. PS...That trail XQ IS BaddAzz !!! Merry Christmas Fred.

15. Preacher

Preacher Silver $$ Contributor

Less than 1/2" at 500 yards, thats some kind of shooting right there...

16. snert

Methinks, on behalf of my good friend, that he might have mispoken. I have shot with Fredo and i think what he meant was his groups are not 1/2 inch at 500, but averaging group dispersion of 1/2 inch per hundred yards.

I have found him to be honest and not an armchair shooter.

Preacher likes this.
  17. 284winner

Half moa. 2-3" groups. Actually my best group was 2.8. I will expect .3 out to 600 with this gun when I'm finished with load development. I think 2" groups at 600 are attainable given the right conditions.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    fredo and Preacher like this.
  18. snert

Wow, see that...I went to bat for Fredo...not realizing I was defending 284! Either I am just a nice guy or I need to read more carefully!!

And I only wish I could shoot 1/2 MOA anywhere. I have determined my groups are sufficient at 1/2 GHA...Ground Hog Arse!

Shoebox, fredo, misfire and 1 other person like this.
  19. 284winner

That's ok, i appreciate the error anyway. My reference to group size may have been misunderstood or my error. Either way, my groups are a result of the Shilen barrel much more than by me. All my guns can outshoot me.

Preacher likes this.
  20. CTshooter

CTshooter Silver $$ Contributor

really enjoying reading all this. Although just looking at that 220 redline is scary!
    I have a plain ole Rem 700 22-243 that I really like. Looking forward to seeing the 220 redline built.
    let us know so we can all put on ear protection...