Gentlemen, I present... the ".220 REDLINE"

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by fredo, Sep 15, 2017.

1. fredo

fredo Silver $$ Contributor

Been away hunting, too.
    Nothing to follow up with yet!
    To comment again on bullet stability, I realize the calculated risk of opting for a 1:9. With all things considered, I'll suffer the slight decrease in calculated b.c. value due to 'marginal' stability. Trade off being, insuring bullet integrity and terminal performance...

Surely, an 'optimal' stability factor would be nice. However, if a faster twist rate required to achieve it results in the bullet literally blowing up in mid-air, or 'splashing' upon impact, then what's the point? This project will all have been a waste of time, effort & expense. If anyone knows of a high b.c. .224 caliber bullet that will survive ~350,000 rpm thru upwards of 1,000 rds of barrel life, then I'm all ears! Short of a monolithic, I'm just not seeing any?

I've already done some homework regarding monster .224 cartirdges with 1:8 barrels blowing up bullets at 'x,xxx' fps. And given that my .220 Redline will have quite a bit more horsepower than anything previously researched, going 1:9 seems to be the only way for my bullet(s) of choice to survive the trip to target. My 1:9 Redline is either gonna work, or it ain't. When the time comes, seeing round holes in paper will be all the data points I need! Then, we can let the fur fly and have some fun!

sscoyote likes this.
  2. dedogs

dedogs Gold $$ Contributor

PO Ackley's .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer achieved 4600 fps with a 50g bullet and 105g of H507 according to his "Handbook volume 2". Unfortunately he does not give barrel twist or brand of bullet information. You might find some more info in the archives of "Guns and Ammo" magazine. Sorry if this info has been posted earlier-- I didn't have time to read entire thread. Hope this project works out for you. dedogs

3. fredo

I'd already surmised that bodacious cartridge to be more of a novelty experiment, than something remotely field useable? Necking down a monster weatherby case is not my idea of practicality. And by those #s, it looks to be terribly inefficient?

My considerations were focused around more commonly 'uncommon' wildcats like the 22-6mm & AI , 22-284, 22-06 & AI, .224Vais. .224Clark, etc... which have some matter of established performance record to compare against. Given those examples, the Redline will hold several grains more capacity than any of them. So, even if my baby only matches one of them in ballistic performance, the extra capacity should allow for a cooler, lower pressure avenue toward attaining it. Which, in turn, may allow for a barrel life that is more acceptable to an avid varmint/predator hunter...

Heck, guys are necking 6.5Creed brass down to .224, and they ain't getting anything a .22-243Win can't do. And the old 'Cheetah' wildcatters took .308Palma brass all the way down to .224, for not much more performance. Neck turning aside, I'm not doing any more work than the above, yet will (hopefully) yield a lot bigger return on investment!

It's either gonna work, or it ain't. But, I think it will...:)

Grant G, sscoyote, long40shot and 3 others like this.
  4. Zero333

Zero333 Gold $$ Contributor

I have no problems shooting 77gr SMK's in a 9" twist 20"bbl 223rem.

I think you made the right call with the 9" twist for such a stupid fast cartridge.

fredo likes this.
  5. Westex91

Westex91 Silver $$ Contributor

Following this

6. redrockranger

redrockranger Silver $$ Contributor

Just what the world needs. It will be forgotten by all but one within 12 months,. But wait maybe Winchester will buy the rights to it and have a SUPER Duper Magnum for their collection of failures.

7. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

I beg to differ. YOU may forget it, but if it works and I get to shoot it (Fredo????) I am NOT forgetting it!!! :D

nmkid, sscoyote, MTSLW and 2 others like this.
  8. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens

I need to design a 17 Cheytac or 20bmg. Now you’re talkin.

snert likes this.
  9. fredo

P, you're definitely in cue as a credentialed chuck whackin' beta tester... :)

P.S...
    BRUX has barrel shipped!
    Waiting on my reamer now...

10. fredo

until that time, grabbed the lil' .17Predator for some predator calling. Had a few 400+ yd chuck kills with the .17P, this summer. Talk about a cartridge that punches above its weight class...a 30gr @ 4100 is friggin' lethal, and can't hardly find the entrance hole...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grant G, 17VLD, Shoebox and 2 others like this.
  11. MTSLW

MTSLW Silver $$ Contributor

I think you're referring to the 17 Incinerator:)

12. sscoyote

sscoyote

You are da man Cap'n Fredo! Woulda' loved to have seen the end result of you and Blaine Eddy talking wildcat what-ifs. Most likely he's watching and smiling from above though.

fredo and 17VLD like this.
  13. 17VLD

17VLD

My friend Dan C who designed the 17Predator will be glad to know it has not been forgotten.I still shoot the 2nd one built and you are right Fredo it is an awesome round.I love shooting it at coyotes with my stash of highly coveted 30 Golds.DAA out in Utah likes it too:)
    Matt

fredo likes this.
  14. DOGCAPPER

DOGCAPPER

I have a 17/222M with a 32 gr bullet @ 4100 fps that whacks 90 pound animals dead in their tracks.

15. BforByron

BforByron

Where do you guys source there heavy 17 bullets and what's the estimated BCs?

16. Grant G

Grant G

The reamer is finished, and going out in the mail today! Hope this thing is as amazing as it sounds! Good luck Fred!

17VLD likes this.
  17. 357Mag

357Mag

Fredo -

Howdy !

Gonna try the new IMR8133 powder ?

With regards,
    357Mag

18. fredo

Thanks for the update, Grant!

Prolly bad timing that this project is happening squarely during deer season, but I'll be sweet talking my smith to get after it!

In the meantime, whacked a couple coyotes with my 6.5SAUM, just for chits & giggles. A 130VLD @3200 is not pelt friendly, LOL. Exit from a brisket hit...
    [​IMG]
    Necked down with nearly the same powder charge, the .220REDLINE is gonna be serious coyote overkill! As if that's ever really a problem???

P.S.
    17VLD, I'm friends with DAA, he was an inspiration for building a .17Predator! I got enough 30Golds to smoke at least one barrel when Greg Tannel built mine. Total opposite end of the spectrum from the REDLINE, but still just as fun!

Will be taking my time with this project. No need to rush when breaking ground...

Hope you guys are having a great season so far, stay tuned!

Grant G, long40shot, 17VLD and 2 others like this.
  19. 17VLD

17VLD

Well the stock is the right color for that rifle:DVery nice setup Fredo.
    Love the carnage,my 6.5 WSM that Greg built shoots the 142 Sierra at 3300 with Retumbo very nicely,just wish she wasn't 19 lbs or I would shoot coyotes with it too.My 6.5 was built before the advent of the SAUM case,perhaps it's time for a 257 SAUM:)
    Matt

20. fredo

I know Greg can sure build a rifle! That 6.5WSM must be a beast cuz I know what a 140 does @3100...

My friend Dave has a VERY cool blog centered around all kinds of neat-O stuff. Topics ranges from coyote hunting, rifles, shotguns & reloading, to back country adventures & 4wheelin'. Anyhoo, was honored when Dave asked if I'd share about the REDLINE on his page!

Here's a link, if you'd care read a parallel to this thread. And like I said, there's a TON of other cool stuff to enjoy. Dave knows his stuff, and was a mentor in getting me started with the crazy fun world of wildcatting...

http://coyotestuff.com/

As for an update, soon as I get barreled action in hand, I've got a stock to drop right in and begin load testing. Crazy holiday season right now, so hoping we'll be rollin' sometime soon into the new year...

Grant G likes this.