Gempro 250 problem

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Ringostar, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Ringostar

Ringostar

I hope someone may know of a solution, otherwise a may have to send it in. I went to load for a mid range match. The scale stays plugged in, but turned off. When I turned the scale on, it started doing some major variation. I tried the tare button many times, but it wouldn't zero. After about 12 tries it zeroed, but gave me strange weight readings. 142 SMK's were coming up at 195 gn. my brass that weighs 195 gn were coming up at 225 gn. I tried to calibrate with the supplied 20 g weight. After going through the process several times I kept getting the same results. The check weight after calibration was reweighed and comes up at 20.5 g each time. Has anyone had issues like this before?

2. BigDMT

BigDMT Guest

do you have any sort of air movement in the room where your scale is located? like a fan or something? its pretty sensitive to even the slightest air movement.

if not, maybe try unplugging it for a while to "reboot" it like you would a computer. then turn on and recalibrate.

3. Ringostar

Ringostar

I made sure that there wasn't air movement. I even tried switching outlets. Still got odd readings.

4. BigDMT

BigDMT Guest

Call MyWeigh customer service and see if they can get you in contact with a tech. They'll know a lot more than any of us here. Good luck.

5. savageshooter86

savageshooter86 Silver $$ Contributor

have you tried turning it off and unplugging it for several hours then trying it again? I might try that then let it warm up and try to re-zero the scale :-\

6. Ringostar

Ringostar

I will try plugging back in tomorrow, then see what happens. If that doesn't help, then I will have to call myweigh.

7. madderg

madderg Silver $$ Contributor

...make sure that you are not under florescent lights, they screw things up with this, and many other scales.

8. BigDMT

BigDMT Guest

i know that if I plan to use mine, I always turn it on well ahead of the time I plan to reload so that it is warmed up all the way. they can do crazy things if not fully warmed up. maybe just unplug for 10 minutes, plug back in, turn on (dont calibrate) and leave overnight. then in the morning go out and calibrate and test.

9. jlow

jlow

Keeping any sensitive electrical equipment plugged in when not in use is a bad idea especially if you don't have it plugged in via a surge. When there is lightening in you area, lightening strikes will put mini (or major) spikes in your power line which can damage your equipment or worse blow it....

A good warm up time is 30min. Fluoresce lights don't affect this balance, I have a huge set above mine and its been dead nuts the 4 years i've been using mine.

Remember, this thing can weight 0.02 grains and so any rough use or heavy jarring/drop can also damage it.

10. Elwood

Elwood

I followed this advice, taken from this forum about 1 year ago, and it worked for my scales and a friends scales who had similar problems.

Unplug it and turn it upside down and give it a gentle shake, see if a kernal of powder has found its way under the plate.

11. SDDasher

SDDasher Wes Cummings Silver $$ Contributor

All good suggestions for solution to your problems. Another is a cell phone or radio even if turned off can have influence on the scale. I turned everything off with the exception of the Chargemaster and GemPro which were plugged into a surge suppressor outlet. For lighting I use battery powered lights from Lowes. Leave the scale powered up for a significant time before use (I never turned mine off) and most importantly never place anything on the weighing surface while the little g in the lower right hand corner is moving. Let the "g" settle and then place the pan or test weight on the scale. Remember this is a precision instrument and must be handled accordingly. This procedure has worked for me.

12. Ringostar

Ringostar

Ok, I left it sit over night. Plugged it in this morning, and let it warm up. I tried my check weight, and it came up at 30g. I then tried a 165gn bullet, it came up 255gn. I then went back through calibration, and it straighten out. Comes up 20g with check weight, and 165gn with bullet. So now it's working fine. Thanks for the replies Keith!

13. jlow

jlow

Glad it’s working out for you. One thing to consider is to buy the 50 gram calibration weight. With that and the 20, you will be able to do a linear calibration which you cannot do with just the 20.

14. BigDMT

BigDMT Guest

+1 - Very important to do the calibration correctly

15. thumper4fun

thumper4fun Silver $$ Contributor

The little plastic weigh pan can get a static charge and cause issues. Be sure to wipe it down with a dryer sheet or better yet do what I did stop using the plastic pan and get a metal pan. Also, if you haven't done this yet get a Snap Coke Core from RadioShack (p/n 273-0067) and put it on your GemPro AC cord.

16. captkaos

captkaos

My 500 did the same thing a few weeks ago. Tried calibrating w/50G, no go. It kept climbing from any zeroed tare.
    Let it sit unplugged for a day & tried power on for 2 hours - no help.

I did the hold upside down and shake thing as well as blowing under the pan and it finally functioned fine. I think a granule of powder gets under the pan and sticks in there with static or something. Going to try wiping everything down with dryer sheets including the hopper on my powder charger occasionally to see if it helps.

Have had the scale for 2 months now, use it 2-3X a week and this was the only time it happened.

17. AR Shooter

AR Shooter

Been thinking of purchasing a GemPro250, but the reviews from those who have had problems are not very encouraging as far as customer service at MyWeigh. Several complain about lack of response when they call or e-mail. Not very good support for a 30yr warranty.

Has anyone actually had a service issue response from MyWeigh?

18. DJ111

DJ111

I have found that when I unplug mine and take it on the road with me I will have to turn it upside down and give it a tap and it will then work just fine. Had it for over a year and it still works just fine.

I do not really expect more for a 130 dollar scale.....makes some pretty good ammo though.

Good luck,

19. snakepit

snakepit Gold $$ Contributor

The drift on my GemPro 250 got so bad that it became unuseable. I called MyWeigh several times and left my name and number and never received a return call. You can never get a hold of a live person there. I sent them several emails and never received a response. I then called Will Knott Scales where I had purchased the GemPro to ask what I should do. Will Knott customer service said that was a common complaint about MyWeigh but she said for me to just return the GemPro 250 to MyWeigh and I would receive a new scale or they would fix the old one. I did what she said, went to the MyWeigh website and followed their return instructions and after a few weeks I just received a new GemPro 250 the other day. But while all this was going on I ordered a new FX-120i for $400 Canadian and now the new GemPro 250 is a backup scale. The difference between the FX-120i and the GemPro is well worth the extra money.

20. Alexander-M

Alexander-M Gold $$ Contributor

Snakepit,

I just received the Gempro-250 yesterday and so far so good, but it is too early to pass judgement. However, I looked up the FX-120i you mentioned, and it does sound great. I read about it on the Old Will Knott website, and there they have the FX scale priced at $701. You said your were able to buy one for 400-CAD, which is about $388. If I may ask, where did you buy it?

Thx!

Nando