Gearing up for Rifle&Pistol Nationals

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Paula Marie Hamilton, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Paula Marie Hamilton

Paula Marie Hamilton Gold $$ Contributor

First I don't want to sound bragging but you guys helped John get here so you deserve to see that he is serious and practicing. It's been hard with rain and storms, but today he had about 30 min between monsoons to shot some 50y practice. He was only able to get 2 sighters & 2 2×10s shot but he will go again when this let's up.

Don't get real excited because this is 50y, prone, with only a light wind, but I think he is making progress. If he would truly dedicate himself he would be unstoppable, but at 17, I goofed off a good bit as well.

IMG_20190608_125200.jpg IMG_20190608_125258.jpg collagemaker_2019681384600.jpg

2. TAJ45

TAJ45 Gold $$ Contributor

Definitely competitive. Stay the course Jon.

Mom, it ain't bragging, just a progress report. Most everyone on this board will give group size or score with some posts as a statement of where they are, or results of x load etc.
    It ain't hard to weed out the LookatMees.
    You guys aren't one of them.
    So, please continue with the factual reporting.
    :) :) :) ;)

hpshooter, USMCDOC and Dusty Stevens like this.
  3. Paula Marie Hamilton

Does anyone know how they score targets like that. He has a 9 on both pretty clear, I think 3-4 in the bull on the top one, but how would they score the bottom target. Just wondering.

4. riflewoman

riflewoman Gold $$ Contributor

The usual corse is to shoot 5 on each Bullseye-to-count. That way there are only 5 shots and they’re easy(ier) to score.

That said the groups are all to the right by 1/4 to 1/2 minute of angle. So he needs to be mindful of where the group is actually forming up and making the necessary adjustments. Two clicks left would have saved two of those 9s.

Paula Marie Hamilton likes this.
  5. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Gold $$ Contributor

Looks great. I never goofed off at 17. I waited till I was 21 and it was epic!!!!

Keep us posted.. You all are family..

TZaun and Paula Marie Hamilton like this.
  6. TAJ45

Man, I wish it wasn't true but that was me. :-/

7. TAJ45

I had a problem with the .45 in BE indoor slow fire, esp 50'. If I happened to get a decent not quite centered group the first 3 shots, the extra blackness would be like a tractor beam on the sight picture portion of aiming. The killer 8s would chew me up.

8. Paula Marie Hamilton

Thanks Rifle Woman. We were working on groups with those targets and wind. He hadn't ever shot past 50f till 8weeks ago, but this dang weather is killing practice. He had a little wind, & didn't adjust enough for the distance, but he is learning fast. BTW on those targets the inner circle is the bullseye with the next the ten, then 9 so only 2 was a true 9. I'm trying to get him to look at grouping instead of scores, then we talk about what he could do when like you said he was to the right constantly. He did make several adjustments (clicks), but at that distance he underestimated what a little wind does at longer distances.

I appreciate all the feedback because John needs a coach not a mom who reads shooting books and videos.

9. TZaun

TZaun Gold $$ Contributor

Looking good Paula. You're doing a great job helping him along. Don't cut yourself short.

It has been just a mess up here with all the rain too. Normally I'd be about done planting a month ago. I still have 1/2 my beans to get in. Not sure I will be in Benning now. It'll be a game time decision, but my wife may have to take Katie down. Good luck to John down there. He will have a great time. It's an awesome event.

10. riflewoman

Also, There is a technique/strategy in shooting these multi-bullseye targets.

My technique was to set up a good natural point of aim on the upper left (sighting) Bullseye. Then shoot a few sighters. Once zeroed, (about 5 shots) I went for record on the upper left #1 Bullseye AFTER adjusting my Natural point of aim. Then adjust my position again for #3. After record firing was complete on the LHS, I’d pivot the position to the right and then repeat the process. There are occasionally minor windage adjustments between “sides” as the position was never fully the same. But you had sighters to correct it.

Paula Marie Hamilton and TAJ45 like this.
  11. TAJ45

It is info like that, applicable methodology, that is so difficult to acquire. Riflewoman, you are an ASSET. I wish I knew half of what you've forgotten.

My pistol and High Power coach, back in the dinosaur dodging days, said that GOOD information was hard to get. Still true but the 'net has really helped. To wit, your post.

12. riflewoman

Thanks, I usually get called worse...

13. TAJ45

Simply sheer envy I'd say.

14. Paula Marie Hamilton

I've had a hard time finding out how they shoot these as it only discusses block time in the rules, so I didn't know if he could shoot left sighters, then left side, then go back to right sighters so me and John came up with a plan like yours if the did allow, only he starts left. If they don't then he is going to right slighter zero first, then go left slighter noting any sight adjustments it takes to R<L zero complete L high, L low, move to R low up to R high sort of like his air rifle strategies. He he is making a shooting plan to put on his stand knowing he is going to be nervous. Also plan to stay for the whole practice session to see how other top shooters ( TZans Katie) do things. It's his first National so a lot to learn.

Thanks again

If anyone ever calls you out let me know, I'll cane slap them in Oct. when I'm in Florida, you are a wealth of info.

15. Paula Marie Hamilton

I understand we only have about a third of our corn out and at 7inches above normal rain so far. I'm not sure the corn we have out will come. My husband is staying home again. It's hard being away from him as much as we have been. I almost wish he'd quit the farm so he could go with us once in a while. These events are so cool. Especially watching the kids, gives hope for the next generation. Good luck on beans, but you still got some time on them.

TZaun likes this.
  16. riflewoman

You may shoot them in any sequence, but for tie-breaking they are scored in reverse of the number printed adjacent. They usually don’t need to do this too often. But I suppose it could cost a match.

I just found that it was easier for me to adjust point of aim vertically than it was horizontally.

hpshooter likes this.
  17. pfiori

pfiori

A couple of notes on training for Ft. Benning.
    1. The matches are shot on electronic targets. There is only 1 aiming black on the target at which you will shoot all sighter and record shots so while establishing NPA remains important, there is no need to train moving from one bull to another.
    2. The match format is you are allowed on your firing point 30 minutes prior to the match start time and you can set up your equipment. At 15 minutes prior to the match start time, your sighting period starts and you may fire unlimited sighter shots. At the conclusion of the sighter period, range control will switch the targets to Match and you will be given the command "Match firing, start". This will start your match time and you will be firing record shots.
    Once you have completed your record shots (40) for your first position (Kneeling), you will switch your target to sighters, change over to prone, shoot your sighters and when ready, switch your target to Match and fire your prone record shots .
    Once you have completed the prone stage, you will repeat this procedure for your Standing stage.
    Once the Match time starts, you proceed at your own pace to complete the match.
    Once you go to record for each position, you can not go back to sighters for that position.
    Hope you find this helpful.

Pete

18. TAJ45

Man Pete, that is great !!!
    I'd take that and do a run through several times. With a pattern worked through previously, it smooths things out - a bunch.

19. dc.fireman

dc.fireman Sling & Irons! Silver $$ Contributor

Paula - a transparent overlay is used when the shots are not a single well defined hole; in the case of five single well defined holes, they use a scoring plug. If he's practicing prone, he should do so on the NRA A-26 or A-27, aka, 'Meter' target.

Nice shooting though - what are his 100 yd. scores looking like?

20. dc.fireman

dc.fireman Sling & Irons! Silver $$ Contributor

Yep - I've been 'creedmoored' several times.