FYI Graf's

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by avidflyer, Jan 14, 2019.

1. avidflyer

avidflyer Silver $$ Contributor

Put an order in at Graf's, like to buy local and they support local matches. Just a FYI they are now charging sales tax on out of state orders. It didn't show on the web invoice but they did mail a hard copy and it showed it. Called and spoke with accounting and they verified it. NOT A BITCH at all they have great service and I've never had 1 problem with them... Just a FYI seems to be a sign of the times...no more freebies

2. Greg Taylor

Greg Taylor Gold $$ Contributor

It's mandatory, i believe, we started doing it as well jan 1st as per our CPA

3. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

We all know they tax us to death, but we allow it by sending trash to Washington. In that respect, I view any tax as bad.

However, each business faces a handicapped customer base in their home state because state residents tend to buy out of state to avoid state sales tax. I wouldn't consider buying in state because I the price immediately goes up 8%. I think that competition will now be based more on service and product price.

dgeesaman likes this.
  4. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

I guess If I had to pay taxes ,I would rather pay it in my home state. Just my .02, but I believe ND does a pretty good job watching the money.

Again, just my .02,
    Tod

tmwinds likes this.
  5. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

I think I read somewhere that in Ky, this requirement doesn't kick in until you sell $100,000 of product to the respective state to which the tax would be owed and that it is retroactive, meaning no tax at all to $99,999 but all of it due if you sell another $1 worth to that state.. Not sure if this is just Ky or if I misread. Anybody know any details on this? Looks to be a major ordeal if retailers must collect sales taxes based on the destination tax rate, on all sales, everywhere.

6. Larryh128

Larryh128

It's only the start , the feds have been collecting info for a couple years and figuring out how much sales tax is lost on internet sales.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  7. Someoldguy

Someoldguy Silver $$ Contributor

I find it interesting that government officials on all levels view tax revenues as 'their' money.

Never was, never will be.

8. 22DASHER

22DASHER Gold $$ Contributor

This is a multi billion dollar area that the government was not taking advantage of. You can bet your butts it was only a matter of time before taxes were applied. I will be purchasing more items locally as well now, especially big ticket items.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  9. luckeeshot

luckeeshot Gold $$ Contributor

So which tax , state and local or federal ?

10. Termite I

Termite I Gold $$ Contributor

I'm glad I stocked up when I did :)

11. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

I agree! I think they had been thinking about that for a long time, and knew they were losing a ton of revenue. It just feels so wrong! Is it even legal for one state to collect taxes from another state? Also, is it not an undue hardship on small businesses to know every single municipality's sales tax rate, before the sale can occur? Maybe there is a software program out there that can be used and stays updated. I wonder how I would find out, as I'd like to invest in that company if this is all legal and will stand up in court. Maybe the earnings will offset the almost inevitable penalties!:eek:

12. Coyotefurharvester

Coyotefurharvester

This was a state sales tax issue, a few states went to court over "lost" revenue due to internet sales growth, after passing collection laws. So now out of state sellers need to know when and how much to collect, keep track, some states only apply sales tax to certain items. Make sure tax charges are correct for your state.

13. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Living in Delaware with no sales tax, we don't get dinged on out of state online purchases.

dgeesaman, Bc'z and Milo 2.0 like this.
  14. alf

alf Silver $$ Contributor

Midway and Optics Planet have dinged me lately as well.....

15. cdhbrad

cdhbrad Gold $$ Contributor

I believe all "internet" sellers are now collecting the local sales taxes due based on your Zip Code and remitting it to the appropriate State, which then sends any local option sales taxes to the local government. I don't mind paying this as I order things that I cannot purchase locally. For example, I cannot buy any reloading supplies locally, the nearest source to me is a Bass Pro that is 50 miles away and they not only charge Retail++, they have a terrible selection...….at least they did when I last went there about 2 years ago. Buying online is the only way I can get what I need and paying state and local taxes on those purchases is OK with me.

tmwinds likes this.
  16. wedgy

wedgy Gold $$ Contributor

17. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER

The recent orders that I have placed with Brownell's in 2019 have NOT been charged any type of taxes. - Not saying it isn't coming, just hasn't happened as of yet.

Milo 2.0 likes this.
  18. oldduc

oldduc Silver $$ Contributor

Well, if you move to Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire or Oregon, you won't have to pay sales tax.

19. gunsandgunsmithing

What I was reading said that there are both "destination and origin states". Destination states require the tax rate of the destination of the product be charged. The states that are origin states, charge their state's rate to wherever the product ships. Again, this is my understanding and I don't like it either way.

Also, I don't mind paying tax on the items that I buy for my own use. My rub is as a retailer, the requirements are IMHO, overly burdensome to the retailer. And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it tax fraud to over charge someone sales tax? Kind of a tough predicament, to say the least.

It has always been the responsibility of the buyer to report out of state taxes owed and to pay them. Just because tax wasn't charged to the buyer does not mean the buyer doesn't owe the tax to his/her state...Use Tax, is what it is called...where you buy something from one state and use it in another. Truckers are familiar with this as technically, fuel bought in one state but burned in another has this technical requirement of taxes being owed to the state the fuel was actually used.

Another thing that use to get people was magazine subscriptions, believe it or not.
    I went through a state tax audit several years ago now. The very first question from the auditor's mouth was, "do you subscribe to any magazines!!" I did not at the time and told her so. She left the room and came back and said that my claim had checked out..no subscriptions. I have no idea what resource she had that could tell her if I did or didn't.

Bottom line is, it has always been the responsibility of the buyer to report unpaid taxes on out of state purchases. I'm not making this up and I know this to be true in Ky. I think it was always the same in most states. Clearly, you guys weren't reporting enough to make Uncle happy! Lol!

I'll be calling my tax guy about this in a day or so. Gotta get answers to how it works and how in the hell I'm supposed to know who pays what, when and where. This is gonna be a clusterf--k for every small business in the US if it's what it seems.

20. oldduc

oldduc Silver $$ Contributor

After I retired from law enforcement I worked another 17 years as a computer programmer. It would be pretty easy to develop the code to handle all of that, hands off, for small businesses. I'm sure someone has, or will, provide you with such a thing ...... for a "small monthly recurring cost."

WyleWD, bsn and gunsandgunsmithing like this.