Funny how things come back around.

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by ckrifles, Apr 6, 2020.

1. divingin

divingin

The reason is you'll only hit their site if you're looking for something.

With the catalog, they're hoping you'll leaf through, and something will catch your eye: "Hmmm, page 276 has a milling machine; only $3200... I think I need that." Well, OK, more likely with something like milling cutters or a new lathe chuck, but you get the idea.

2. SEM

SEM Silver $$ Contributor

I remember taking several junk bikes and building one from them, extending the forks to look like a chopper..... figured out friction fit was just hopeful thinking, sort of ugly when one came loose. my favorite and can not figure out why no more the Banana seat with extra high sissy bar 2 speed kick back and a brake that only locked up the BACK wheel, limiting face plants, The left side lever is for the clutch !!!!

Snuggie likes this.
  3. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

I lived for Saturday mornings. Early on came Cisco and Poncho (black and white) Then came Bugs bunny, Roadrunner and all those good cartoons. Matt

4. Kermit in Va.

Kermit in Va.

BUT...they are tooo violent now. LORD help us, ain't no little ones should be watching them now.

butchlambert and murray brook like this.
  5. Coonman300

Coonman300 Gold $$ Contributor

That’s awesome. As I was reading this thread I thought about the chopper bicycles we made and the sissy bars. Banana seats were the best. Two people could easily ride. I don’t know how anyone rides a bike now with a seat that’s designed to castrate you. I also liked the packs BB’s came in like ketchup packs at restaurants now. We walked all over our neighborhood shooting squirrels and the neighbors never thought anything about it.

SEM likes this.
  6. SEM

First BB gun first bird, how sad I was, got over it! walking down the road with it in hand no one thought any thing about it, some even had to say you'll shoot your eye out with it HaHa, SOMEONE PLEASE invent a time machine I don't care if I cant take anything with me just want to go back!

wagonman and Coonman300 like this.
  7. dannyjbiggs

dannyjbiggs

I liked your comment and where you live!. But, I wanted to home in on the term you used in last sentence, "mite" :). If you've delivered baby chicks, you might have "mites"....and if you have an outhouse, again; you might have "mites".:D

Dan

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  8. dannyjbiggs

dannyjbiggs

Good Gawd, man...you were watchin' TV! I was going to 10-cent matinees at the local theater and watchin' Hop-along-Cassidy, Tom Mix, 'course Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, Lash Larue, Sky King, the Bowery Boys, Tarzan, etc. And, popcorn was 5 cents, if you had it. TV had not come along yet!:(

Dan

9. ebb

ebb

This corona stuff is bad , but I can remember walking home from school when I was in the third grade and being sent home early. On the way home (we walked 1 1/2 miles) first there were a whole bunch of fighter jets heading south towards Cuba, as we got closer to home way up high there were at least a dozen bombers. The next year or maybe 2 we went home early cause Kennedy was shot. Scary stuff to a kid.

10. murray brook

murray brook Silver $$ Contributor

So true. They were discouraged because of their influence on the kids but the kicker here is that it isn't us, the Bugs Bunny/Yosamity Sam generation that went around shooting up schools and shopping centers it was the Sesamie Street and Care Bear generation that done it.

dkhunt14 and SEM like this.
  11. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

I got my first rifle from Sears also. I sold the Grit newspaper and mowed lawns for 2 years. After that, it was a .410 single shot from Western Auto.

butchlambert likes this.
  12. ebb

ebb

My dad passed Jan 15th of this year, he was 96. He talked about getting his first 22 rifle by selling Cloverine salve. I have never heard of this, does anybody here know what it is?

butchlambert likes this.
  13. SEM

it took 18 pop bottles to buy a pack of smokes from the one liquor store that would take a note from home, we knew we were being gouged put a pack would last us a week

14. Steve Nicholas

Steve Nicholas

My grandmother kept a tin of Cloverine by her bed. I "think" it was an aniseptic salve and cost about 25 cents. I think gram used it for dry skin.

Steve Nicholas

15. ebb

ebb

After I posted I did a search and Amazon had it listed but it was out of stock. The description is was similar to Vaseline but the uses looked more like chap stick. Dads grandfather ran a general store and he bought a large amount of salve and had my father sell it door to door. Dad got some of the profit and the points and got his rifle.

16. wwbrown

wwbrown Silver $$ Contributor

Cloverine Salve Link

17. YEW PLUCKER

YEW PLUCKER

Here in the Bitterroot Valley people aren't taking the "social distancing" thing too seriously. There is less shaking of hands, and a few masks. But, the grocery stores are open and we can still get fuel, etc...

18. Rube Shooter

Rube Shooter Gold $$ Contributor

I remember staring at the rifles in Montgomery Wards and Sears, when Sears catalog was one of the biggest events of the year, Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30 minute toy commercials, Saturday Night Live was funny and nowhere near as political as it is now and when stations signed off at night by showing the US flag and playing the Star Spangled Banner. I miss the days of buying 22lr and 410 shot shells at the local Western Auto.

SEM and butchlambert like this.
  19. ebb

ebb

I used to here from my folks that lived on the farm, you use a red one then a white on to see if you need another red one. Corn cobs that is.