Full Length Sizing Die vs Redding Body Die

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by foxguy, Jul 26, 2012.

1. foxguy

foxguy

question,

I seem to remember hearing the Full Length Sizing Die can be Adjusted to size the case Body & bump the sholder back. If the decaping stem is removed thus it is not suppose to pull the neck out of alignment.

Does it also resize the neck or is the neck not touched when adjusted to resize the Body & bump the sholder by appx .002

I would like to do the same as the Redding Body Die but with a Full length die adjusted just to bump the Shoulder by appx .002

Thanks, for your help on this.

p.s. I have been buying std die sets & the Redding body die , maybe i dont need both??

2. mytwo60

mytwo60

If you have a full lenght bushing die then yes you can resize/bump without affecting the neck (remove the bushing). Standard FL dies will of course size the neck.

3. fredhorace77

fredhorace77 Site $$ Contributor

+1

4. 22BRGUY

22BRGUY Site $$ Contributor

5. gotcha

gotcha

Coming from a different angle/idea. You could continue to use the body die as long as you can get the desired shoulder set back. Then use a Lee collet die to size neck. I use this technique for a number of cartridges & get excellent results as far as run out goes. It is, however, a two step sizing operation compared to one step w/ a F/L bushing die. The Lee die is a bunch cheaper & doesn't require lube. Just a thought if you're pinching pennies as most of us are today.

6. amlevin

amlevin

On the other side of the coin, if not necessarily pinching pennies, a Forster Neck Size/Shoulder bump die is probably the most versatile. Since I started using one I've found no need for my Redding Body Die (at least so far). Remove bushing and de-priming rod for shoulder bump only. Adjust bushing for partial neck sizing if desired. Add an expander ball if you want.