FTR Rifles

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by savageshooter86, May 13, 2013.

1. savageshooter86

savageshooter86 Site $$ Contributor

My setup
    B&C stock weighs-3# 7 oz
    Action/trigger(Savage 10 with Rifle Basix 2,bolt, barrle but and recoil lug) -2# 2 oz
    EGW 20 MOA base-2 oz
    Scope w/rings(Sightron S III 10-50x and Burris Sig Z rings-2# 10 oz
    Bipod(Sinclair FTR w/elevation knob)-1# 15 oz
    Total weight WITHOUT barrel- 10.25 lbs.
    --A heavy palma barrel would weigh around 6.5 lbs so that leaves about 2 lbs or so difference in the action/stocks to make weight vs my set up

I am curious as to the shooters with the heavier actions(BAT, Banard, etc....) who have the 30+" barrels and big scopes and nice stocks with built in cheek rests and adjustable recoil pad how are you making weight? I would think the actions weigh about double as mine and the stock would weigh a couple more lbs as mine

2. XTR

XTR Site $$ Contributor

Don't believe everything you read on the internet, you may be overestimating the weight on the barrel. I have a Krieger #14 heavy Palma blank here that is 31" as it sits and it weighs 6.05 on my shipping scale with the net still on it and It'll be an inch shorter when it's mounted.

Otherwise, they are shaving something somewhere, or they are local shooters not going to matches that weigh guns. That said, the guys who are winning are making weight. They shoot at the big matches and they have to pass tech spec with the same gun. That is not to say that others don't, but for your average weekend club shoot it's more common that it's not done. I did see guys walking away from the scale at Raton trying to figure out how to lighten the rifle. The guy that I went to Raton with last yr had to take the caps off of his scope to make weight, it's perfectly legal, they aren't on when you shoot, but it shows how close to the limits we run.

Most are not running barrels over 30 inches. I have a longer one, but I've got some seriousl questions right now as to whether or not it is gaining anything. It may be shorter before the summer is over. You can lighten your stock. If I recall correctly this weekend I heard one shooter who runs the heavy Bernard actions saying he runs medium Palma barrels. You can shave half a pound by getting a March scope or one of the new NF scopes, or by switching to a fixed power, though not many do that. That Sightron and the Nightforce NXS and BR models all weigh in the 32oz range, the new NF and the March are in the 25oz range.

Lighter stock, or trimming out weight. I've seen a Savage stock that had the butt stock with a lot of holes machined through it to make weight.

The bottom line is you can't fill them with helium.

3. jsthntn247

jsthntn247 Site $$ Contributor

I miscalculated on the weight of my stock. My new calculations put me at 18.05 lbs with a trued Remmy action and a 28" Bartlein #9 contour. That's cutting it too close. I know some folks (who have access to a cnc) buy straight contour barrels and machine them down until they make weight.

4. 6BRinNZ

6BRinNZ

I love Barnard P actions - but trying to build an FTR rig around that with certainty of making weight...nup..

The research I did was heavy actions drove stock compromises and or barrel compromises. Reducing the compromises in the barrel drove scope choice and bipod choice.

I ended up deciding that stock and bipod choice were my main choices as it was all futile if I couldn't get the rifle to ride correctly. Deciding on those items forced my selection on action, scope etc.

I would definitely be interested in seeing an example where everything is hefty and it makes weight.

5. ARIZONA_F_CLASS

ARIZONA_F_CLASS FTR LR High Master, FTR MR Master, Smalbore Master

Heavy palma 30" with my Rem 700 action weighed 9.1 My 5R 24" with action and trigger weighed 6.3

6. jsthntn247

jsthntn247 Site $$ Contributor

This his how my build is shaping up

Remmy Action, trigger, bottom metal 32oz
    Bartlein Heavy Varmint 28" 108 oz
    Sightron 8-32 Scope 26oz
    Stock with adj cheek and butt 82 oz
    Rings and Bases 10oz
    Sinclari Gen 3 Bipod 31 oz

Thats puts me at 18.06 lbs. I better not have any dust on the gun when I weigh in.

7. savageshooter86

yea I read on member who stays away from max weight to allow for differences in scales at different matches that might weigh different. So as I stand I am looking at a barrel option which can't weigh more than 8 lbs. I should be able to do that

But still wandering how some people are making weight with the heavier actions and stocks.... ???

8. aj300mag

aj300mag

2lbs 10oz for rings???

My pair of rings weigh less than 6oz. ;)

9. savageshooter86

No that is with the scope/rings/sunshade

10. aj300mag

aj300mag

I'm thinking you could cut a few ounces by using different rings...

11. Taildrag15X

Taildrag15X Site $$ Contributor

Drop the sunshade......it's a couple of ozs. you don't need.

12. Medic505

Medic505 Dean Wheeler Site $$ Contributor

Taildrag 15x, I was amazed how much a sunshade weighed. Also agree that you really don't need one.

It's amazing how the little things add up when you are fighting oz's.

13. bayou shooter

bayou shooter F-TR competitor

I will disagree with that assessment, I consider a sunshade to be an integral part of scope. It serves three purposes; protect the front lens from fingers, rain, and other life occurrences, serves as a mirage shield for the first few inches, because mine is not long enough to reach to the objective lens, and lastly it provides for a better pictures in the scope by keeping out stray light as the sun moves overhead during a day of competition.

All this for an ounce or two? That's a great deal in my book.

14. aj300mag

aj300mag

Remove the scope lens caps and turret caps before weigh in...

15. Taildrag15X

Taildrag15X Site $$ Contributor

I disagree with your assessment also.....this is why we have this Forum, to float all of our ideas.

Of your three purposes I cover 2 in this manner:

Scope lens caps when not in prep or live fire.

I make 2", 2.250" & 3"x30" mirage shields from .025" thick plastic shim stock.

The third I don't think I've every had issues with "stray light on the obJective", my issue due to my glasses and eye relief is reflection on the eye piece which I cure with a shooting cap.

The one you didn't address is the mirage caused by the heat inside the sun shade, I never thought about it until I complained about the mirage shooting Any/Any to the 1978 Wimbledon Cup Champion who I was shooting with, he said "Take your sun shade off"....I don't think I've shot a Match with one on since.

16. Medic505

Medic505 Dean Wheeler Site $$ Contributor

The Savage I shot at Nationals last year was 18.08 lbs without lenscaps,covers and sunshade. I haven't used one since.

Sunshade that is.......still have the old Savage.

17. savageshooter86

So how do I determine if my rifle is balanced? Trying to determine if a heavier barrel would hurt or help....

My last 26" barrel weighed 6.4 lbs and was wandering if anything heavier would hurt/help the rifle track better?

Seen/read you want your rifle to be balanced but how do you know?

Thanks