FTR Bipod

Discussion in 'Competition Forum (All Calibers)' started by Tempest, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Tempest

Tempest

Changing from a Sinclair to new one for next season. I searched through some old topics on this and found numerous options. Personally, I have narrowed it down to 2. The Duplin and Phoenix.

For those that have used them, which do you prefer?

2. Medic505

Medic505 Dean Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Flexpod

3. Sniper338

Sniper338 Silver $$ Contributor

you need to take a serious look at the joy pod imo...

4. XTR

XTR

The Phoenix weighs more than any other bipod in the game. All the cool kids use them, but they weigh a ton. Ok, not really a ton, but well over 2 lbs.

I use both a Duplin and a Joy-pod. I like both, their weights are so close as to be identical on my scale (slightly over 16 oz) I tend to run the Joypod most times and keep the Duplin for a backup or on a second rifle if I'm shooting two.

I've also got a Mystic. It's the lightest I've got (which is why I have it, one of my rifles needs it) it's very stable, but it doesn't have any adjustment other than adjusting the length of the legs. It's a bit fiddly get set but it's solid. Just under a pound with the short legs.

Flexpod is an option, but it's heavier. I think I recall that they are like 22oz. Guys who use them love them.

I run heavy Varmint (or heavier) contours on my rifles. I can't stand the weight on the Flexpod much less the Phoenix. There is a reason that I know that a Bix'nAndy trigger is 26g lighter than a Jewell. I can't spare six oz to a pound in a bipod.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    foxguy likes this.
  5. Tempest

Tempest

Hearing they are sold out.

6. XTR

XTR

They are always sold out. You get on the list and you get one when they come in.

Dgd6mm, USMCDOC and Sniper338 like this.
  7. kzin

kzin

As a guy who thinks he's happy with his sinclair can I ask why you're moving away?

8. Sniper338

Sniper338 Silver $$ Contributor

you have to get on the wait list for a joy pod head of time.. its like a 4 to 6 month wait. gotta do it ahead of time and plan.

9. Jdne5b

Jdne5b Silver $$ Contributor

Ive used a Sinclair gen 1 and gen2, Duplin, Joy-Pod, and now a Phoenix. If you can manage the weight, I wouldnt hesitate for one second to go with the Phoenix especially vs the Duplin.

Phoenix vs a Joypod is a closer race, but Im glad so far that I made the switch and I dont plan on going back.

10. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man

I started with a Sinclair. Too much bounce. I switched to a Duplin. It would climb up after multiple shots. I currently use a Phoenix. It's the best of the three. The bounce is gone and it can be locked/tightened to prevent vertical movement.

Jdne5b likes this.
  11. bullseyeshooter

bullseyeshooter

Nowhere Man made all the correct points!!! I ended going thru the same progression to get and end with the Phoenix Bipod.

Jdne5b likes this.
  12. Jdne5b

Jdne5b Silver $$ Contributor

+1 The backlash and constantly loosening of the cant adjustment in the Duplin leaves a lot to be desired.

Nowhere Man likes this.
  13. willbas

willbas

14. BP1

BP1 Gold $$ Contributor

I started with the Sinclair then went to the Duplin now have two joypods I have never used a Phoenix but with my current setup I could not make weight with one.

15. Tempest

Tempest

Thanks for the feedback.

16. XTR

XTR

Over time the adjustment
    I don't see any of that with the Duplin, then again I also don't use my bipod to get my final elevations. I need the pod to get me into the range of the 9 ring and I move my rifle in the bag for that. I do that even with the JoyPod. If I used them differently I might have experienced it.

17. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

I've used a Duplin for a few seasons now. It's frustrating how close to great it is, but it's got a few minor issues and one significant issue.

1) It could be a tiny bit lighter. Trim down the stupid logo plates, and hog out a bit here and there. Why not. It's almost there. I saw a guy make weight by a couple grams at the last state match I went to.

2) The feet bottom come very rough. Fixable with some sand paper and elbow grease, but annoying. I would not recommend using it until you do this.

3) The screws don't have locking feature or some sort of loc-tite. It WILL fall apart on you if you don't tighten it up periodically. Locking screws would be nice.

4) The finish leaves a lot of sharp corners. Sharp enough to cut you on the adjustment wheel. Again, fixable with sand paper.

5) Backlash. The elevation adjustment has some. It's not that big a deal to deal with, but it's there.

6) This is not so minor- it can move on you during the string of fire (mine has). It really needs a way to lock the elevation adjustment. The design relies on friction to hold the adjustment, which works great until it doesn't. I've taken to very carefully cleaning it down to the metal (which isn't easy), which seems to help. I haven't resorted to putting something sticky on the threads... yet.

Aside from the last one, my gripes are pretty minor. The attention to detail could be better (screws are different lengths for no reason, poor finish, form over function, no locking threads).

But that last one is a bitch.

18. 1911mag

1911mag

Have a Dublin and tweaked it a bit with better hardware and used for my first year. I have no major issues or complaints

19. Turbulent Turtle

Turbulent Turtle F-TR competitor

I started with a Sinclair Gen 2 about 8 years ago. I moved to the Sinclair Gen3 in 2012 when it was introduced. The Gen3 is lighter than the Gen 2 but in my estimation, it twists more. I moved to a JoyPod in 2014 and have been using it ever since. I still keep the Sinclair Gen 3 on hand as backup.

20. RDA72927

RDA72927

10 to 11 month wait....