Frustrated with Shilen 6BR.

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by strut64, Jun 12, 2018.

1. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

1200 is short on a 6BR but all barrels are different. Have you considered a setback?

pirate ammo likes this.
  2. jimmymac

jimmymac Silver $$ Contributor

I'd run a bronze bore brush through there with some good copper solvent. Nylon brushes don't get it done IMO. I'd also short stroke it with Iosso paste or JB with a tight patch on a jag.

You don't even know if it's clean if you or someone else hasn't scoped it. You may be a lot dirtier in there than you think. You can't hurt it. It already doesn't shoot.

3. Nature Boy

Nature Boy

I agree. You’re just guessing it’s clean until you can look in it and verify

I have the Lyman bore scope. It’s not that expensive as it relates to what we spend on this ridiculous hobby. I use mine every time I clean a rifle

4. Ggmac

Ggmac

1200 is a bit short but I've seen more barrels damaged by over cleaning aggressively, tight patches , mixing chemicals that create acids , hot guns going in air conditioning room/cars , and the list grows . A Borescope should be part of everybody's cleaning kit .
    When mixing cleaning chemicals , test the mixture on a piece of steel , you may be amazed . I've got a test piece that looks like woodpeckers attacked it .

boltfluter and hogpatrol like this.
  5. STS

STS Silver $$ Contributor

As I see it you have 4 choices for this barrel:
    1. Buy a borescope and evaluate it yourself.
    2. Take it to someone else’s that has a bore scope and let them evaluate it.
    3. Call Shilen and send it back to them and let them evaluate it.
    Or
    4. Pull it off and throw in the trash.
    Unless you do 1,2 or 3 you’re just shooting in the dark and you aren’t likely to ever know for sure what’s going on with that barrel. I would be very surprised if that barrel is shot out in 1200 rounds.

LarryDScott, ranger3 and hogpatrol like this.
  6. jimmymac

Not to be argumentative, but how does a tight patch harm a barrel?

SPJ likes this.
  7. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

I like #4. YMMV. :D

8. #40Fan

#40Fan

I don't understand either. A bullet being shoved into the barrel with 50k+ psi behind is ok for the barrel, but a tight fitting patch, or even a brush is going to nuke it.

LarryDScott and ledward like this.
  9. Ggmac

Ggmac

If it squeaks when you push , it's to tight. It harms it when the rod bends or it gets stuck .

10. Ggmac

Ggmac

Certain style brush , plenty of data on tornado brushes and demise of stainless barrels shooting well . Tight patch is above . Not harm in patch just when it gets stuck or bends the rod . The rod is what causes the damage , NO MATTER WHAT ITS MADE OF OR COATED WITH !

hogpatrol and jimmymac like this.
  11. jimmymac

Gotcha. A tight patch for me is a round ProShot 6mm patch on a 6mm brass jag with a PMA Bore guide. Good and snug but not excessive.

Ggmac likes this.
  12. Terry

Terry Gold $$ Contributor

Shot my new Shilen 6BR barrel today at 1,000 yards. It's on a Savage LRPV. With a bi-pod and bag it shot 1 MOA in the wind.
    Berger 108's 29.7 Varget, 450 primers, Lapua brass.

Best wishes!

eas1949, Ghansen, pirate ammo and 2 others like this.
  13. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor

Shoot you could probably win with that at Whitehorse.

hogpatrol, Dub and Terry like this.
  14. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Silver $$ Contributor

I dont use brushes but i clean after 15 to 20 shots. No carbon ring on my guns. Ive had 2 Rem factory bbls on "hunting" rifles just suddenly double group size. Had them borescoped by smith and he let me look as well. Big old interuption in the rifling on a 308. He couldnt understand how it evershot well. The other one looked fine but groups had really started opening up.

15. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Every time thru my short 20yr benchrest history when you see a true hummer barrel- one that wins every single match, shoots in the same hole in a reverse, and still wins with 3x as many rds on it than normal barrels can muster its been a shilen every single time.

HillBilly98, Clancy, dmoran and 7 others like this.
  16. gambleone

gambleone Silver $$ Contributor

I'll take your word Dusty. Now I will get a shilen!

17. STS

STS Silver $$ Contributor

I've had a bunch of great Shilen barrels over the years. That's why I'm doubtful it went down the tubes at 1200.

okie likes this.
  18. Kings X

Kings X Gold $$ Contributor

How offen do you anneal your brass?

ranger3 likes this.
  19. ranger3

ranger3

Most Barrel companies are very good at accommodating issues with their Barrels. I don't have a shilen, but I have a couple of Criterion and on one of them I had issues with accuracy Criterion asked me to send it back and even though I had it for 2 years they recrowned it, they did some work polishing inside and when I got it back it was better than it was when it was new. I know some top shooters that shoot Shilen.

boltfluter, mikeinct and hogpatrol like this.
  20. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Gold $$ Contributor

My latest Bartlein is excellent and you cannot hardly get it to copper, even in 243 at blistering speeds. The new Kreiger 6br 13.5 chambered a few weeks back is maybe the smoothest barrel I have felt to date and refuses to copper.

My Kreiger 1-14 223A is just a pleasure to shoot after 2000 rounds and still shoot teeny tiny bugholes (as does my 1-7.7 223 space gun that has 4000 rounds down it and still shoots insane good).

The latest Criterion 1-10 243 coppers like it is possessed by devils. I have never seen a custom barrel foul like that.

New Brux 1-8 getting chambered next week. Never had a Brux. It looks beautiful. I have no plans to ever buy a Shilen. I admit I have very little experience compared to some of the guys I know that buy barrels like I buy bullets...