"FRONTIER" brass

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by 260Ravage, Dec 9, 2010.

1. 260Ravage

260Ravage Site $$ Contributor

Recently I bought a used rifle and with it I recieved 100 once fired 'Frontier' headstamped brass. The brass is very nice looking stuff.
    I load for accuracy and do not want to mess around with junk. Anyone have any experience with Frontier? FWIW :the headstamp is 220 swift. Thanks!

2. 25AI260

25AI260 Site $$ Contributor

i believe it is one Hornadys line of brass...

3. CJ6

CJ6 Site $$ Contributor

As mention above 1 of Hornady's lines (older though). The stuff I have is from the 70's 30-06, 6mm Rem, 243 Win. I'm still loading it.

4. Kenny474

Kenny474

Yes, Frontier is actually Hornady's older line of brass. Joyce Hornady started Frontier Ammunition in 1964, a line of remanufactured ammuntion using surplus military brass. The Vietnam War forced Hornady to begin using newly manufactured brass, I believe produced by an outside source (Federal?) and stamped with the Frontier name. In 1983, Frontier was renamed Hornady Custom Ammunition, so most all brass made after then was stamped with the Hornady name. Though I have heard of some new LeverEvolution 30-30 and some defensive (TAP?) .223 coming through with Frontier headstamps as well.

Most Frontier rifle brass is good to very good, and is usually as good as most of the really good commercial brass on the market today, such as Winchester. The Frontier pistol brass is normally hated by most and loved by few, and is not of very good quality in most cases.

Hope this helps.

I would use it without a second thought, whatever my opinion is worth.

Kenny

5. 260Ravage

260Ravage Site $$ Contributor

Hey fellas! Thanks for the info. I will go forward and tumble, prep, and load some up. It will months before I can fire-em due to winter here in N.D.
    Your opinions are valued. thanks.
    Terry

6. Dave D

Dave D

I have two boxes of Hornady light mag 7mm-08 that were purchased about two years ago, head stamped "frontier".