from .015 out to touching with 30-06

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Steve Donlon, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Steve Donlon

Steve Donlon Gold $$ Contributor

That's the one 1.5 leade Seringeti. they come .340" and .377" I wanted the .340 and got the .377". Once I get it sorted out I think I will be okay. My rifle shoots the 155 Palma good with no problems but the long bullets are not going in straight enough with my regular seater. I've been told the competition seater die should solve my problem. When I'm seating the bullets I can feel the ones that are going in a little off center and the ones that go straight in.

270WinDude likes this.
  2. Steve Donlon

The ones I set touching, none of them would chamber. The ones .015" most went in. Need better seater, maybe.

Bc'z likes this.
  3. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

I'm using Hornady match grade set I like thier inline seating die for some reason.
    Just finished a batch of 260.
    Hornady bullets had .025 variation
    Berger bullets had .01
    Measured coal, not able to touch due to magazine limits, jumping .06 in this rifle.
    Wishing Berger could get our shelves filled up.
    If i only never bought the first box, I'd have never known the difference.

270WinDude likes this.
  4. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Hi Steve: It does sound like you have a runout problem. Also, what is your loaded round neck dimension on the rounds that don't chamber? Anything above .334 may be too tight, in my humble opinion.

Steve Donlon and Bc'z like this.
  5. #40Fan

#40Fan

Steve, have you checked your seating die to make sure the tips of the bullets are not bottoming out in the top of the stem?

Bc'z likes this.
  6. Steve Donlon

Good call. I checked and the Sierra 195 TMK bullets are .336 or .335" at the mouth of the brass, same with the ELD. On the Berger 210's it's .332, 332.5 on loaded brass, same Nosler brass and dies with VLD stem. I don't get it. The fired brass is .337 at the shoulder junction and tapers down to .335 at the mouth. The brass from my Remington is straight .340 all the way mouth to shoulder junction. What could cause this? I just measured a loaded ELD that would not chamber and at the mouth it's .336" and down .25" it's .333" Same with TMK it's bigger at the mouth then.25" down toward the shoulder it gets smaller. The Bergers are .332-.332.5 then get bigger. Could it be carbon build up already? I only have 90 rounds fired and think I'm getting the neck area of the chamber clean. Using a chamber brush and pistol brush for neck area. I have a concentricity gauge coming on Wednesday and a competition Redding seater die on Thursday. If that helps. Also, I'm not cimping.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  7. Steve Donlon

It's the VLD stem. I checked it against the standard one that came with the Redding micrometer seater die and the VLD fit a little better. Thanks for asking. I'm really confused now.

8. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

Pm sent

9. joshb

Steve: Have you trimmed your brass length?
    Have you done a chamber cast?
    I think you should turn your brass down to .333 loaded round to give yourself a little clearance. It's what I do on mine. 4 thousandths clearance.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Steve Donlon likes this.
  10. Steve Donlon

Thanks for the advice. I have ordered a Sinclair neck turning tool, backordered. I will give er a try. I don't understand why some bullets are .332 and others .335-.336. Do you think the bullet not being straight could cause this? I already have to turn the Lapua so I can turn them all if that's what it takes.

11. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Not all bullets are created equal, be my guess. Given the tight tolerance you may just give her a diet of Bergers.

Steve Donlon likes this.
  12. joshb

On another thread, Alex Wheeler reminded us that all bullets are not created equal. Some have pressure rings.
    I bought the PMA neck turner with the micrometer adjustment. I love that tool! Prolly not back ordered, either. Here's a trick I use to set up my turner. I bought a good set of auto feeler gauges and slip them between my turning mandrel and the cutter to get it close. Make sure you get the proper angled cutter. Josh

Steve Donlon and Bc'z like this.
  13. ppaul

ppaul Gold $$ Contributor

Steve, it does appear that you have a shooter on your hands! My opinion is that you need to slow down here.Getting multiple bullets involved at this point is not helping you. When you get one to function flawlessly then it's time to move on. Seems to me that you may have multiple issues here.
    F&@#*%g black box just deleted a paragraph. I'll PM my phone# to you. Will help all I can.

Love the old warhorse! Paul

JBT, Bc'z and Steve Donlon like this.
  14. Steve Donlon

I got my Hornady concentricity tool and my ULTRA MICROMETER SETER DIE today. I checked the rounds that would not chamber on the concentricity tool and from zero the dial went 2 marks to the right then 2 marks to the left. That was enough to keep them from chambering. The one that did chamber went 1 1/2 marks one way and at the most 1 mark the other way. I loaded some Sierra 195gr TMK bullets to see how well my new Forester seater die would work. The 195gr TMK bullets shot the best. They shot .16" at 100 yards and I don't think you would believe me if I told you what they shot this morning at 500 yards. I didn't think is was possible to shoot like that. The 195gr. TMK bullets where the hardest to get straight. Only about half would chamber. When I checked them on the concentricity tool the dial did not move, it just quivered a little. No more problems chambering my bullets now. If only I had known how easy the fix was. Those 2 tools really helped me out. No more having to shoot 155 palmas because they were the only ones that always fit. I will have to turn necks for the Lapua brass and now have that covered too. Life is good. Thanks to everyone that gave advice to me. I have learned a lot and am grateful, Steve

270WinDude, Bc'z, joshb and 1 other person like this.
  15. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

We all learned alot, well at least I did.

16. joshb

Aw, c'mon! We'll believe you.o_O;) Glad you're getting things ironed out. I'd like to see a pic of your target at 500 with a penny next to it.:) Not one of those 12" gag pennies, tho.:confused:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Bc'z likes this.
  17. Steve Donlon

IMG_0815.JPG It was on a steel gong. It's only 3 shots but I don't care. From 500 yards it looked like the same hole and I didn't want to see a flyer. It was the last bullets I shot. Saved the 195gr TMKs for last. it's 13/16s. I know , I know. That's why I said what I did. I'm sure one of you could do better with this rifle. The Pac Nor barrel is phenomenal. It's so easy to clean with no copper fouling. Only the first couple of patches show a trace when I first start cleaning. Never had a custom barrel, worth every dollar.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    JBT and Bc'z like this.
  18. joshb

That's wonderful! Definitely a shooter! You've done a nice job with the load! Enjoy this!!:):):) I'll tell you my story, sometime this winter. Josh

Steve Donlon likes this.
  19. Scarface26

Scarface26 Silver $$ Contributor

Rock on, brother. May all your targets look like that in the future.

Steve Donlon likes this.