Freezing barrels

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by langenc, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Link

Link

I'm not telling anybody anything. That's just what ive been told many times in the past. It was a question.
    Respectfully Link

2. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Respectfully, I answered your question. Do a little research.

3. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

4. MislMan

MislMan

Please note that the opinions noted in the reference link to Lilja barrels were made in the 1998 - 1999 timeframe, as noted in the last PS paragraph. Processes, metalurgy and testing have likely changed through the years.

dmoran likes this.
  5. divingin

divingin

For the AR crowd, I think JP Enterprises cryos their barrels.

remdriver likes this.
  6. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Think?

7. 300_whisper

300_whisper Silver $$ Contributor

8. jbhotrod

jbhotrod

Jim O Hara mentioned about 2 years back that he liked cryo treating his barrels so as to keep them from "walking". Maybe it helps I don't know. Pretty certain it don't hurt nothing, and if it makes for better machining characteristics it should atleast slightly decrease the odds of screw ups occurring and perhaps result in a slightly more accurately machined tenon, chamber, etc..?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  9. BoydAllen

BoydAllen Gold $$ Contributor

Back in the day, Doug Shilen spent a lot of effort investigating whether cryo stress relieves 416R. His conclusion was that it does not, and he was very firm on that. There is a process called X-ray diffraction that is able to "see" stress in metal. If you are interested in how the existence of stress can be determined I recommend that you do some research in this area. There are portable machines that are not too expensive that can be used for this process. Given that there is no other way to look at this issue other than guessing as to the cause for accuracy issues, and the money that some have spent to reach the top of the various permutations of bench shooting, I would think that some of the top shooters might want to spend what a top rifle and scope cost and equip themselves to do some sorting.

10. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

I had one rifle cryo-treated, but it was the whole barreled action, not just the barrel. It's my best-shooting rifle, but that's not to suggest the cryo had any positive effect whatever.
    -

11. tobnpr

tobnpr

Yep. On their website.

http://www.shilen.com/faq.html#question1