Free standing work bench

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Someoldguy, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Someoldguy

Someoldguy Silver $$ Contributor

Due to room constraints, I'm thinking about a 'free standing' work bench in my new to me garage. Kinda like the bench pictured only with beefier legs and a top about 2'x5'.

Has anyone here tried this? What is your experience? Love it/ Hate it?
    locker-room-benches-free-standing-bench-plastic-laminate-putty-2-pedestals.jpg

I'm thinking not having it attached to a wall will increase the usefulness. But I've never tried a bench like this before, so I donno . . . .

Uthink Uknow likes this.
  2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

A 2x12 and portable sawhorses make a good table too. Stores easily and wont let you junk it up

3. BoydAllen

BoydAllen Gold $$ Contributor

Years ago, when I was doing some carpentry, I had a door to make on site. I had the use of the owner's garage but no table to work on. I ripped a piece of AC 3/4" plywood lengthwise and built two tops with frames of 2x4s set on edge, back a couple of inches from the edges, with some cross members. I put them on two saw horses each, one in front of me for my project, and the other behind for my tools. When I was finished I simply stacked the horses and leaned the tops against the wall where I was keeping my tools. The setup was very handy. I used it many times.

4. alinwa

alinwa

I bought two small rolling automotive tool chests, each about 30" wide, 20" deep and workbench height with locking swivel casters on all 4 corners of each toolbox. The tool chests have 5 drawers each. I built a 2" thick top from plywood, 2' deep and 8' long and screwed it to the two boxes. End result is a large, heavy bench with a kneespace area in the middle just like a desk. It's heavy enough for reloading presses, barrel vise, work vise or whatever but still rolls around and maneuvers with ease.

5. mr45man

mr45man Silver $$ Contributor

That's a good idea,

6. alinwa

alinwa

I tried to find a pic on my computer and while the rolling bench is "in" a lot of pictures it's not really shown. Here's a top/corner shot, ignore all the junk and you can see the benchtop and the one rollaround, kinda'

Attached Files:

Bc'z and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  7. jpx2rk

jpx2rk

Might try a B&D work mate bench, can rig up a work top that will clamp in the workmate top or a Ryobi Miter Saw stand with the QD clamps. Both should be pretty stable. I use a miter saw stand for a portable shooting bench. :)

8. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

I made my free standing reloading bench by using two unfinished kitchen cabinets I bought at Lowes. The under the counter model with three drawers. I had a varnished solid core Oak door blank from decades ago for my work surface, but I have also used a sheet of 3/4 ply with a laminated counter top glued on top. The laminated top is really easy to keep clean. It's impervious to paint, solvents, and cleaners. The one with the built in back splash will keep stuff from falling off the back side.

The result is storage space, a good solid bench for my press, a place for my feet and a cooling fan underneath to keep me from dying in this Texas heat.

9. 300_whisper

300_whisper Silver $$ Contributor

A8AA5A48-5D6C-4095-91D3-9985515DD00D.jpeg Have you looked at folding benches too? Something along the lines of this above? My dad has one in his garage. Folds it up out of the way when they park their cars in it.

10. riflewoman

riflewoman

11. MislMan

MislMan

Home Depot carries a heavy duty wooden folding workbench for $80. Uses 2x4’s and is 72” x 20”. Looks like you built it at home.

12. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

I think the only issue you will encounter is objects falling off the bench without a wall to keep them on it. With only one edge open with a wall mounted bench, a free standing (all sides open) will be a little challenging with brass, bullets etc rolling off. May help to add a 1/4" tall fir strip on the top edge to prevent that problem. Otherwise with your limitations, any bench area is better than no bench area. Good luck.

13. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0 Gold $$ Contributor

I have a 42" x72" free standing table with casters on, formica on top, 2 shelves underneath, it's the mainstay of my operation. Tons of storage, bullets, dies, etc.., can clean 3 rifles side by side, wired electrically all 4 corners, a coax mounted both ends on the right side. I do not powder cases on it, doubles as a place to throw your stuff after a range day.

14. geraldgee

geraldgee Gold $$ Contributor

Greyfox, Bc'z, HTSmith and 1 other person like this.
  15. Someoldguy

Someoldguy Silver $$ Contributor

Say! I like that idea. As someone mentioned in a post above, I'll likely add a strip around all edges to keep stuff from rolling off. Otherwise, I think that'll do nicely and for the price, it's not worth my time to try and build something similar, let alone material cost.

Thanks for the suggestions!

16. BenPerfected

BenPerfected Gold $$ Contributor

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018 at 4:44 PM
    MislMan likes this.
  17. spife7980

spife7980 Silver $$ Contributor

Just put a few holes in your coffee table and set the press up in front of the tv.

18. haveme1

haveme1

Puzzaz01 likes this.
  19. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

I have 3 of the Home Depot tables. They are more than worth the money.

20. McGraw

McGraw