Free Recoil

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by rwj, Jun 26, 2019.

1. rwj

rwj Gold $$ Contributor

In the ongoing effort to reduce group size, I’m trying to transition from a shouldered butt/tight hand grip to “free recoil.” Tips, tricks, suggestions are being solicited. I’m shooting a 6BR from a bench using a Sinclair front rest and a Protector rear bag... thanks!

Average group size is currently a little over .5 MOA @ 300 yards using the shouldered/tight grip setup, but after several months this year no improvements are being realized. My goal is consistent .3 MOA which the rifle/shooter combo has occasionally been able to achieve:D!

2. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

I’ve started using my thumb on the rear of the trigger guard placing only the pad of my index finger on the trigger.
    This keeps my hand off the rifle entirely and eliminates trigger jerk etc.
    Might be worth a try
    J

Rushty, rwj, kvd and 3 others like this.
  3. arkcomatt

arkcomatt Matt Owens Gold $$ Contributor

I do not touch the rifle at all. Set my shoulder close but not touching the rifle. Stay relaxed. I shake so I set up an elbow pad and a bag to rest my trigger hand on so I can lay my finger on the trigger and gently squeeze it when ready to shoot. Simple as that.

JMayo, rwj and nmkid like this.
  4. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

On my 6ppc I have started using off-set rings. It really helps keep my fat old man face off the stock with a lot less effort. I got a set of Harrell's through PMA Tool.

Regards
    Rick

mr.big, dogdude, Shooter13 and 5 others like this.
  5. ToddKS

ToddKS Gold $$ Contributor

I use a similar method (Disclosure: I shoot PRS, not Benchrest). I have seen many shooters who were successful not touching the rifle at all, but for me I found I was more successful with my thumb on the rear and very light hand pressure.

6. K9TXS

K9TXS

When I was shooting rimfire benchrest, that was just about the only way people were shooting. I moved my scope back as far as I could.

Both rings were touching each other and the scope was then place in the rings. By putting the scope so far back, the shooter doesn't really have to lean across the rifle to get a sight picture.

I was using a 1.5 oz Jewell trigger with no safety. I tried the pinching method as described by SPJ above, but I found that by only using my index finger it worked out better for me. With a 1.5 oz pull weight, it only takes a light touch to the trigger. One finger was the only body part touching the rifle.

Upon recoil, I reloaded and then used my thumb to push forward on the trigger guard to push the rifle forward and ready for the next shot.

You'll find once you get a system worked out, everything flows very smoothly.

mikeinct, JMayo, rwj and 3 others like this.
  7. comagutsa

comagutsa

yeah i tried pinching the trigger eg thumb on back of trigger guard but i just didn't like it, i now just use my finger on trigger only (2oz trigger), a bag under wrist can help so your not holding your hand up waiting for the right conditions, i also have my scope right back and i like to sit high over my gun and my stock sits an inch or so away from shoulder so it recoils back into my shoulder, and i push it forward as i close bolt with new round in it

arkcomatt, rwj, nmkid and 1 other person like this.
  8. T-shooter

T-shooter

I tried somewhat of a free recoil that seems to work. I use a muzzle brake which removes about half the recoil. Then just lightly touch the butt stock on my shoulder, no pressure. I also use my non firing hand's index finger on the front of the trigger guard to apply a little rearward pressure. I only touch my cheek as a point of reference and the same with my firing hand with my thumb straight up, not wrapped around. Normally exhale and then fire. If you have the proper hold when on target and then let go of everything, the crosshairs should still be centered on the target.

A firm pull into the shoulder amplifies the scope movement from breathing and heartbeat. And by applying side pressure on the cheek rest or my firing hand, it made the rifle jump to one side or the other.

rwj likes this.
  9. Immike

Immike Gold $$ Contributor

Only one tip, focus on pulling trigger straight back to the butt plate with no other contact.

arkcomatt, Alexander-M, Bc'z and 3 others like this.
  10. JMayo

JMayo

Bench rest only for me.
    I sit behind my rifle a pretty good piece. I have an elbow pad, a protector pillow is used up on the end of my minigator so my hand rest to the right of the trigger.
    Making sure I have my thumb knuckle out of the way of the bolt handle I touch off the trigger.
    My sight picture in my scope is half of the whole ..all I need is the poa. My shoulder is in line to be bumped correctly by the recoil.
    I gently return the rifle forward with my left hand under the forearm.
    After closing bolt I gently rock/slide the rifle back and forth to make sure it's resettled. Then do it all again.

My rear bag FITS my rifle .....that's really important. I have an edge wood that was made to my specs.

comagutsa, rwj and Shooter13 like this.
  11. mike a

mike a 6BR Rocks Gold $$ Contributor

Me thinks, Free recoil means no part of your body is touching the rifle as it recoils. Putting your thumb behind the trigger guard is not free recoil. However, if your rifle does not ride in the bags correctly your screwed either way.

comagutsa and rwj like this.
  12. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Gotta have slick bags with a soft sand in them. Leather with baby powder is my favorite- cordura with baby powder second. If you gently pull the gun back and push it forward and your crosshairs are not real close you need to work on your bags. Also the crosshairs need to move straight up and down not diagonally

mikeinct, 'Freak, Texas10 and 2 others like this.
  13. Peebles24

Peebles24

One thing i have found, for free recoil to work you need a 2 ounce or so trigger. I didnt see where you said your pull weight. On my rimfire i shoot free recoil, but only on my comp gun due to trigger weight.

rwj likes this.
  14. rwj

rwj Gold $$ Contributor

Mine is approximately 8 oz. I’m fortunately able to dry fire without changing the POA. I’ll add lowering the trigger pull weight to the riflesmith’s work list for the upcoming offseason...

15. Rushty

Rushty Silver $$ Contributor

You have a bag for your wrist now??

mikeinct and comagutsa like this.
  16. comagutsa

comagutsa

When I remember it haha

mikeinct likes this.
  17. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow Gold $$ Contributor

Rwj didn’t mention what sort of rifle or what sort of stock.

18. rwj

rwj Gold $$ Contributor

6BR, Stiller Predator, Bartlein 5R barrel, Manners T2 stock...

19. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow Gold $$ Contributor

Well then, you’ve been given some very good advise. It’s a matter of having the proper bags and using proper technique, that being to touch the rifle with your trigger finger only, pulling and not jerking the trigger, getting on target and staying there without grabbing the rifle to stay on target. Other conditions that affect group size are changes in mirage and changes in wind strength and direction. No one said this is easy.

mikeinct likes this.
  20. rwj

rwj Gold $$ Contributor

Yup, all I told Dave Bruno (riflesmith in Dayton, PA) was I wanted an accurate 300 yard rifle, he did the rest. I’m still trying to figure out to best integrate me into the equation!

Shawnba67 and mikeinct like this.