Fraud involved in ads on this site

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, Sights, Rings, Bases Etc.' started by VaRandy, Jun 14, 2017.

Trader History (1)
  1. Gary Schiefelbein

Gary Schiefelbein

I think the names of the sellers who are scamming should be listed so others don't fall prey.

2. onelastshot

onelastshot

You can name the scammers but it won't solve the situation. All they end up doing is opening a new account under another name and new email address and continue with their scams. The only solution is to complete your due diligence before making a purchase and to be especially careful if the seller is new to the site.

ED3 and hogpatrol like this.
  3. Raptor

Raptor

I always pay with a POSTAL MO and send it certified then you have them for mail fraud and the Feds will go after them.....

4. LarryDScott

LarryDScott Site $$ Sponsor

Lots of luck on that. I can attest to the fact, when I lost 4K
    on purchases made w/stolen government Credit Card info, they didnt do anything about that. LDS

yotehater, carlsbad, Ggmac and 2 others like this.
  5. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

The forums are filled with horror stories about buyers who were defrauded after they paid with money orders and got little to no help from the post office. If anyone thinks the government or U.S. postal services is going to pull out all stops to track down a twenty dollar fraud, they're dreaming.

Ggmac likes this.
  6. CARLOS ENRIQUE GARCIA

CARLOS ENRIQUE GARCIA

I'd like to report a problem. This guy using the profile Claybird1 "has" a Beretta DT11. He was asking $5100. We negotiated at $4400. I sent the money to his "wife" threw Chase bank. He then claimed that he was almost arrested for shipping it. So I said I'd email ffl to Cabela's 2 miles from his house. He said no, needed $850 to ship it. I gave him the benefit of the huge doubt and we agreed to split the cost. I sent him $450.. STILL NOTHING.. Now wants the other $400. What can be done about this guy Mark Heath and his wife San Juanita Heath and guys like him.. This scam must be stopped and this website guaranteed so things like this don't happen.

7. hogpatrol

[​IMG]

8. thekriebles

thekriebles Gold $$ Contributor

Sent you a pm on Claybird1. His home PC account was hacked into about a month ago. The original Claybird1 member is not "Mark Heath".

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  9. longbow

longbow Silver $$ Contributor

Carlos. I'm working on another Scammer,just to F%#k with him.there are alot of the on Armslist. When you have his address, type it in to that town with realty. You want his phone number also if possible .I have a pic of the guys house,then scan back with google and see whats around his house. This guy has a soccer field across the street. I am waiting on a reply with BATF,this is going to prove to me that the BATF really does there job...or just works for Hillary. I work,so I dont have alot of time to do this. the other thing guys...read this ...Tell him to take it to his nearest Gun Store which you can provide,if he wont let an FFL ship the gun for him and you offer the FFL the shipping fees and the FFL receives the funds for him. He's out to get you. hope it helps. Of course I'd like to help these guys die from lead poisoning.......

10. VaRandy

VaRandy

Are you for real? I got some swampland for you.

11. HFV

HFV Silver $$ Contributor

The money I lost on the two ghost scopes,, was not on this site. They were advertised on Benchrest Central. There were several others that were scammed on same ad.

12. JimPag

JimPag Silver $$ Contributor

If you believe that Raptor, I have a ocean front estate in Nebraska that I'll sell to you dirt cheap.

Ggmac, Milo 2.0 and hogpatrol like this.
  13. hogpatrol

Roger that. My p.o. told me they get attempts to cash fake money orders all the time. Money orders are like savings bonds, a throwback to the old days and no more secure than a personal check.

Ggmac likes this.
  14. Milo 2.0

Milo 2.0

I'm to the point I'm about to refuse a Postal MO or Cashiers check, Paypal or Venmo only.

hogpatrol likes this.
  15. onelastshot

onelastshot

I've done a dozen deals in the past month, all without incident. The key for me is checking the person's time on the site as well as the number of transactions they've done. I simply won't do business with someone who has little or no business history. Also, someone who's been a member for two years or more is a safe bet, it's the newbies with no history that are the ones to watch with caution.

Last month I listed a generator on Craigs list for sale. I was contacted by a supposed buyer that sent a certified check that was about eight hundred dollars more than the price of the unit. They said the reason for the excess funds was that they were going to have a shipper pick up the generator and the excess funds was to compensate them. In short the entire transaction made no sense. I called the credit union who was listed on the certified check, they advised me that they don't issue certified check, that the check was bogus and that they'd received about two dozen of these counterfit checks in the past month.

Needless to say I didn't even attempt to cash the check with my bank; after I refused 4-5 phone calls from the scammer he got the message and disappeared.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    phxfa likes this.
  16. barnabus

barnabus

BS the postal service will do NOTHING.All they will do is tell you its cashed and who cashed it.

carlsbad likes this.
  17. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Had a friend that paid with a Postal money order and got taken as the seller never sent the purchased item. The postal money order was cashed and the only guy that won was the thief. Postal money orders are only good for the receiver as he knows they are legitimate. Not saying that they will not investigate or update the individual about what, where and when it was cashed but I do not believe the thief will face any consequences. Just as if someone gets your PayPal payment. Unless you use goods and services, you'll be in the same predicament.

hogpatrol likes this.
  18. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Is that why guys ask for postal MO? I don't stand in line at the PO so I often pass if that is the requirement. --Jerry

19. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Yes, if you are really concerned about fraud on a purchase, your best option is to use paypal NOT gift and pay the 3%. I've done about 20,000 ebay transactions, ran across 2 or 3 scammers, and paypal always stood behind me. Never lost a dime. One was just under $10K.

Of course if they are scammers, they won't accept paypal. there are honest people who won't take paypal so declining isn't a guarantee they were a scammer but it's often worth a try.

Read the rules and follow them. If you don't, they won't protect you...seems like I shouldn't have to say the but....

--Jerry

Wjesswheel likes this.
  20. KAIFS

KAIFS

it does not mater what form of payment you use - there is ALWAYS a chance to be 'taken'. I prefer PayPal simply because USPS Mo order is a pain on the arse to get there, like stated - wait in line... PayPal, well, if you send as F/F - its 'within TOS', if you send it as payment for a firearm or firearm related purchase - they will suspend your account, freeze funds, will decline to go after the amount you are out of... Sure, if you are buying scope or a bipod - yes PP will try to get your money back.
    I have a friend in WI who was meeting FTF in NE WISCONSIN, cash transaction - guy tried to jump him - so happens that way too...