Fraud involved in ads on this site

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, Sights, Rings, Bases Etc.' started by VaRandy, Jun 14, 2017.

Trader History (1)
  1. VaRandy

VaRandy

A friend of mine made me aware that about 7 years ago, someone used his name to perpetrate a fraud concerning what would have been 1/2 price on a rifle scope on this site, where the bad guy managed to leverage up to 15 people to buy the same scope (never delivered) by sending money orders to an address not just different from his but was many states away from his own. He still has paperwork from the US Postal Service validating the fraud.

Come forward to today and he still gets the occasional call to cough up the paid for scope or (fill in the blanks your way, because almost all threats have been made).

Unfortunately my friend is a victim in this as well because many that were taken refuse to believe they lost their money through carelessness. If I were to fall for a purchase with money order, it would be after several telephone calls where the SELLER answered and maybe even speak with his kids. Wrong address, wrong state, and counting on a dunce that did not know what his scope was worth. I would rather send the money to another board member near the advertiser to check out the product and maybe ever pass my money on to him.

After hearing this, I am wondering how common this is today. I am sure many could benefit by this update.

ASbobcat and Mark McMahon like this.
  2. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

I have had people try it with me, but fortunately have done enough Due Diligence to be lucky enough to have survived so far without getting bit. Seems to be tried a lot.

Bob

IdahoSharpshooter likes this.
  3. th82457

th82457 Silver $$ Contributor

There are still folks who try and I assume succeed at times. I have had two cases where I posted want to buy ads and got responses from scammers who provided pictures of what I was looking for, but were unable to answer specific questions about the items that they should have known. Not sure where they stole the pictures from as they certainly did not have the item in their possession. In each case they were offering the items at much less than normal value and were much more interested in a quick payment than answering any questions on the product. They also did not want to converse on the phone - only e-mail. I backed out quickly in both cases.

6MMsteve likes this.
  4. Downhill

Downhill

This can be a risky endeavor. Do your homework. Insist on phone conversation. This way you can just talk to the other party and maybe get some idea if everything is good to go. Feedback from regular forum members is a great indicator also. Watch carefully for any red flags (or even a yellow flag for this matter). Trust your gut. It is a shame it has to be like this but a theif can hide anywhere and online purchases give him another avenue to remain unseen.

5. cdiver

cdiver

I posted a want to buy for a NF scope and got a answer $1200. The seller was in North Carolina and me in Florida I decided to drive there. The scope was good and the deal done. It was a long day there and back but that was nothing compared to an uneasy mind for a week.

6. longbow

longbow

Just afew days ago on this site. A guy advertised a scope with his email for contact in the ad. I PM'd AND emailed, was second in line. Next day on my Email ,A reply with his address where to send funds in Postal MO. No phone#. I replied and said go to the forum and list your address and phone#,so I could also call him. His reply...I think I have the scope sold. My reply... fine with me,but having a positive selling post does help on this Forum.
    Now he was a new member,had only three posts in two years,never sold anything. Alittle to vague ,and this is the same way I got burned on another scope last year on another Forum. I did my homework on that guy, called and left a message and sent him a letter that I was going to get him for mail fraud,fly to Florida for a vacation and hunt him down...he sent me back my $$$$.I have better things to do than go thru that hassle........

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    6MMsteve likes this.
  7. TomSawyerNW

TomSawyerNW

I have bought 3-4 items on this forum, all with MO and all after doing some background checks...does he make comments here (an active member), what his selling and buying record (all were active, all made legitimate comments), and was the item 'reasonably' priced. Do the answers to questions seem legit?

Then there was one that seemed to be a scam from the start, and who I didn't deal with. Lucky me.

Anyways, I've never been screwed over yet, but have often thought how easy I could be set up in spite of my quires. And EVERYTIME (ie, 100% of the time) I send a MO, I worry until the item shows up.

More and more, I question my sanity for sending $100s for something I hope shows up in the mailbox.

wvlongshot likes this.
  8. nakneker

nakneker Silver $$ Contributor

I've bought sveveral items here and have never had a problem. I always pay attention to wording, questions and answers, pictures etc. if I feel uncomfortable I'll ask for a picture or more info. If it's a person who has a track record here on the forum I have no worries, it's good bunch of guys here. There is risk in everything online, it's pays to put some effort into it.

thekriebles and hogpatrol like this.
  9. onelastshot

onelastshot Gold $$ Contributor

I look for the amount of time someone's been a member and make certain they have already done a few transactions. That weeds out the trouble makers.

10. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

I have had a number of guys on this site send me thing that I agreed to purchase, even before I got a check off and many that as soon as I write the check and envelope, san it and E-mail a copy to them, do the same thing. This is one of the few sites that I frequent that actually has a rating system for buyers and sellers and I really like that. I feel here I can almost always shop with confidence.

Bob

wvlongshot likes this.
  11. JRS

JRS

If the seller does not have a Full Forum Profile, move on.

dogdude likes this.
  12. bfischer355

bfischer355

I have been a member on this site for at least a couple of years but have never bought nor sold anything ( Have to be a member to enlarge pictures). I recently bought a new rifle and am currently trying to decide on a scope. Being as I have no transactions on here, does that mean I should create a new account so I seem reputable?

13. firearmdoc1

firearmdoc1

I would think if you were looking to purchase an item, there should be nothing for the seller to worry about. After all the seller still has the item in their possession until your payment is received. As always, buyers and sellers should do their due diligence.

14. onelastshot

onelastshot Gold $$ Contributor

Keep your account; I'll do business with someone who's been a member for a couple of years but if someone is new with no trade history I won't have anything to do with them.

dogdude likes this.
  15. rangertim

rangertim Gold $$ Contributor

I ask a Man once to Sent me a picture of a item for sale beside a dated news paper and never got a picture, he had no trade score. He was probably a honest Guy ! I didn't get the $350.00 press he was advertising and would have loved to purchased it , but I still have my $$$$$ and I'm sure someone else is happy they got it . Just do your Homework and be vigil and trust your Gut Feeling !

16. HFV

HFV Silver $$ Contributor

Happened to me on purchase of two Leupolds,, from address in Texas. Same guy got about 8 people . The address happened to be vacant lot. $1250.00

CoverDog likes this.
  17. hogan

hogan

As long as you pay promptly, and don't try and run a scam on your seller, you as a buyer have no reason to re-register. Always trust your gut instinct. Sometimes deals are too good to be true... Get pictures of anything you're really interested in and ask your seller to send you a tracking # once your item ships. Most guys will ship your stuff the very next day. The old saying, "you can't cheat an honest man", holds true.

18. ebb

ebb

Scopes on this site and others I visit are so close to new prices I wouldn't even consider trading over the net. I will buy a new one and be done with it.

BenPerfected likes this.
  19. gemihur

gemihur

I'm with ebb on this one. All the high end products with little discount for used condition doesn't warrant risk.
    Just as soon buy new and have an avenue of recourse.

BenPerfected likes this.
  20. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

HUH? High end scopes all have transferable warranties? What risk?