Franklin Armory 17 WSM ?s

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by hogpatrol, Mar 20, 2018.

1. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Anyone have one of their uppers or complete rifles who can relate their experience with the rifle and the company. With Pennsy legalizing semi-s for small game, I'm thinking about going over to the dark side of rimfires. Thank, Hog

Rustytigwire likes this.
  2. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

I saw your post and remembered seeing and advertisement for a locking breach direct impingement 17 HMR upper. I haven't had any experience with it, or any other rim fire uppers.

https://garrowdev.com/products/gfd-ar15-17hmr

hogpatrol likes this.
  3. missed

missed

Hmmmm.....

I have been wanting a 17WSM that locking bolt would be cool.

I was asking Vudoo if they were going to support the WSM on the bolt guns, but they said not at the moment....

4. drumie

drumie

I have one of their uppers. It is a tack driver. It will outshoot my B-Mag and my VQ lite in 17 WSM, but I only have 50 or so rounds thru the VQ so I think once I get a couple hundred rounds thru the VQ it will shoot as good. Only thing with my Franklin upper is it is heavy. They make a lighter weight one now, if you are looking to carry it I would def look into the lighter one.

hogpatrol likes this.
  5. hogpatrol

^^^^Thanks!^^^^

6. vlcakc

vlcakc

7. hogpatrol

8. B23

B23

It seems a lot of the problems with these Franklin 17 WSM's is with the trigger mechanism not striking hard enough. I have a HB SS Bmag 17 WSM and after a little work it actually shoots very well but I still get a certain amount of rounds I have to recock the bolt and fire again to make them go off. Not sure if it's a rim thickness/hardness issue or just poor quality control on Winchester's part but if seems to happen with the different 17 WSM rifles and regardless of what the label says on the box, all of the 17 WSM ammo is made by Winchester so it's not an ammo specific problem.

The Franklin 17 WSM owners that changed their trigger group to one with a lighter pull weight seemed to have the most problems. I talked to one guy that put a Hiperfire trigger with the heaviest springs they make, in his Franklin 17 WSM and that helped a lot but the downside was he now has a rather heavy trigger pull.

9. vlcakc

vlcakc

I have Hiperfire Eclipse triggers in all my AR's. The colored coil springs change only the trigger pull weight. The hammer spring remains the same which ever trigger springs you use. Therefore hammer strike force isn't reduced significantly by changing trigger pull, it's always more than mil spec. I use one with 2# trigger springs in my rifle with the Garrow 17 HMR upper with no problems.
    https://www.hiperfire.com/product/hipertouchecl/
    Vic

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018