Fox squirrel recipe's

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Bojo, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Bojo

Bojo

Took the daughter out squirrel hunting in pa today. Only seen one fox squirrel. What does anybody here have for a solo squirrel recipe?

2. Mark W

Mark W Gold $$ Contributor

I usually quarter them up parboil them before they are battered and fried. Those fox squirrels are tough! It can be a real chore getting their hide off.

3. Bojo

Bojo

I was gona skin it in the woods bit decided to sit still and quite while waiting for more that never showed. During deer season they were all around us. Sat in the same spot and only spotted one which made himself too out in the open.

4. daniel brothers

daniel brothers Silver $$ Contributor

put that one in the refrigerator for a few days... then go get a few more... then make some Yummy squirrel and dumplings.

5. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

cook them up in a gravy and put over rice,,little flour with pepper and a little garlic,

trapperdan likes this.
  6. Longcarbine

Longcarbine

7. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

Squirrels are delicious, especially the gravy.

Key, to cooking rabbits and squirrels, is to put them in a pressure cooker for 7 minutes with a clove of garlic and quarter up an onion. The meat will be falling off the bones when you take it out.

After the meat cools, you can fry, bake, shred and make any number of dishes.

Slow cooking in a frying pan a tough ole squirrel makes for some very tough cooking (hope you still have good teeth).

Pressure cooker, 7 Minutes...all will be fantastic!

Some people like to soak them in salt water to draw out the blood...old timmey way of doing things.

If you like some kind of marinade, then use your favorite in a bag with a "Seal a Meal". The marinate is instantly sucked into the meat when you suck the air out of the bag...same for making jerkey...steaks....what ever...

JSH and WyleWD like this.
  8. Terry

Terry Gold $$ Contributor

John Myers made the best squirrel I have ever eaten.

Maybe he will share.

9. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Like AckleymanII mentioned above, the pressure cooker is a great way to start the prep . Retains the flavor and keeps it moist and tender . You can go with gravy from there or turn it into anything you desire . A good way to stretch it is add some sour cream to the gravy and a dash of worcestershire sauce over buttered egg noodles.

JSH likes this.
  10. Bojo

Bojo

Keep em coming boys .....
    I just have to get out and shoot more.
    Every squirrel I put in belly or freezer means that next year's buck will have less compatition for acorns to feed that rack.
    It's a win win all around , we'll except for the ones that make the freezer.

Immike and Mark W like this.
  11. dsandfort

dsandfort Silver $$ Contributor

My Grandpa used to say "cook em just like kidneys. Boil the piss out of em, throw it all out in the garden and go out for dinner."

MrMajestic, savagedasher, swd and 3 others like this.
  12. Immike

Immike Gold $$ Contributor

Rub pepper all over him and cook over a fire on a stick. He will taste just fine when your hungry!

pirate ammo and Mark W like this.
  13. Darrel Martin

Darrel Martin Gold $$ Contributor

Salt , pepper , flour.
    A little olive oil in a frying pan.
    Turn the heat up and brown the pieces.
    Then add about a third cup water , cover , and smother fry about 40 minutes on low heat.You want just a little crusting and caramelization. Usually falling off the bone about then.

Immike likes this.
  14. johnmyers

johnmyers Gold $$ Contributor

Rolled in flour and browned then put in oven at 250 salt, pepper, garlic for 12 hours. Very tender falls off the bone

cmillard, Immike, Bojo and 1 other person like this.
  15. JSH

JSH

I always try to pressure cook a little, then bake, stew or fry them. Makes for a better experience all around.

16. biggun2869

biggun2869 Silver $$ Contributor

Ackleyman and JSH have it. Won't even be worth eating any other way. Especially on a fox squirrel. I do admit I have never tried john Meyers way but I just don't understand why you would cook for 12 hours when you can put in a pressure cooker and after 5-6 minutes at pressure you're already there. Then you can fix any way that suits ya

17. Dave Berg

Dave Berg This used to be fun..... Silver $$ Contributor

In old cook books Brunswick stew uses squirrel as the main ingredient. Link on the bottom to a modernized one.

If you don't have an Instant Pot get your wife one. It's a $79 pressure cooker that's hard to live without once you've tried it. Makes a spectacular Hungarian Goulash in 30 minutes instead of the 3 hours it used to take. The house still smells like paprika for a couple days.

https://www.grit.com/food/recipes/squirrel-brunswick-stew-recipe-zerz1502zcwil

okie likes this.
  18. okie

okie Gold $$ Contributor

vent pot under the range hood while on or cook on porch to help the odors-it does smell the house up but they work really well-try a deer or pork shoulder in one...!

19. Immike

Immike Gold $$ Contributor

Just bought my wife a ninja cooker, seems pretty cool so far! You can pressure cook then air fry to your liking.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  20. Bojo

Bojo

Think I'm headed out for more squirrel on Saturday my daughter. Planning on bringing back more than 1 this time. I'm really liking the different inputs on some of you guys different ways of cooking.

Immike likes this.