Forum Behavior Issue -- Watch it Guys

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Forum Boss, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M-61

M-61 "Quis Separabit" Silver $$ Contributor

++1 for SCOTSMAN1
    I am sorry to say I agree 100%.
    You will notice a slow descent in the number of 'quality' folks that have answered many repetitive questions over the years. It HAS changed. So much so that to ask a question one has to consider being exposed to rude condescending replies. So one asks himself first "Do I want to be subjected to ridicule, etc?
    There will always be some for sure, but that number is growing on this site.
    Good site? Yes! On a decline? I think so.

xcolt45x likes this.
  2. OldmanFCSA

OldmanFCSA

We have the same problem on our F.C.S.A. Members Forum.
    The old guys are slowly drifting away - tired of repeatedly answering the same questions over and over again.
    A quality SEARCH function would surely help the situation, but in today's "I want an answer NOW" society, lots of mis-information gets published without checking for true data from previous testing.
    Our costly members only Forum is not immune to the same issues causing concern here.
    Only dedicated fair firm moderation will help the situation, but volunteers with the correct attitude are hard to find that are willing to work for nothing for long hours.

3. DennisH

DennisH Life Time NRA member

::) I hate to even say this, but many times I was asked a question and if I was in doubt, I Google'd the question. Almost 100% of the time, I got my answer.

The answers are usually there, it just takes a little effort and common sense to stumble across it.

8) Dennis

4. John O.

John O.

I do not know how good my idea is but here it goes. I was wondering how difficult it would be to implement a form of self policeing. Like having a counter that regesters hits on comments that we the members click on to regester offencive content. Then once the appropiate number of hits occurs a message is sent to the moderator and he decides either to deleat, warn or bar the member from certain privelages. Also an array of penalties if you decide to abuse the system renging from warning,to expultion. Again this is just a thought I have no clue how to impement the idea just "I like to work smarter not harder." philisophy Adam Cartwright.

5. DennisH

"Self Policing" . . . . Good Thought . . . but would almost be impossible to properly implement it. If you have 1,000 people, your going to have 1,000 opinions.

One to Three people would have to monitor this, and it would be more than a full time job.

JMO

6. Ghansen

Ghansen

With respect to the people who have replied to my queries, and the knowledge I have gleaned from this site I have contributed some more $$.

Perhaps for offenders they could be dissuaded by a 2 week ban or a swear jar with a note of apology?

Just a thought.

Great work people, thanks!

7. SHootSTraight22

SHootSTraight22

I'm a member hear because of all the key board commandos I've run into at the "Hide" site.. That name serves the place well "Hide!" Because, just like stated earlier these same wimps wouldn't dare get away with the same "sh?t" in person! Hell, I believe even monitors over there play "follow the leader" (their followers) and let certain guys get away with sh?t while kicking contributing guys off for hurting the "popular troils" feelings!! Just go over to the Bear Pit and post something up about tarrany within this government (unconstitutional actions and laws) and see how fast your critisized for being a "tin foil hatter!" Then Tucker will come along to join in (so unprofessional for a forum leader) then kick you off.. The smartest minds and kind people are over here...

8. DennisH

It is still the best site IMO around. You learn who to trust these days. And yes, a few short years ago it was not like this.

Of course these days I watch out where I go around town. I avoid the same crowds that have taken over many good business that "use" to have a great environment.

JMO, Dennis

9. rvn1968

rvn1968 Gold $$ Contributor

Boss,Do you PM/warn the offending parties ?.. If not,why not do it publically on these pages ? If I offend then I deserve it,IMO. There are times when I can be as dense as anyone.Tom

10. Tommie

Tommie Silver $$ Contributor

Moderating a public internet forum sucks. It's a frustrating and thankless job. I moderated one forum and there won't be a second one. Bosses here are as good as it gets.

11. SteveOak

SteveOak Silver $$ Contributor

I like it!!!!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

12. rvn1968

rvn1968 Gold $$ Contributor

Sounds like work that should be unnecessary.The Mod is already toooo busy,lets cut him slack by behaving ourselves. IMHO Tom

13. Trapper T

Trapper T

Don't know where to ask this, but i started a topic asking about barrel break in and it has been locked. Is there an issue with it or did i post it in the wrong forum? Just curious.

14. DennisH

The only thing I can think of is there are many Threads on this subject which all you have to do is perform a search.

This is just a guess, but I didn't see the post.

Dennis

15. DennisH

If you read Paul's very first post, I truly believe this is why this Forum is the best on the net.

JMO, Dennis

16. Tuxedo007

Tuxedo007

I can't improve on what others have previously posted. Just want to say that I agree 100%. Have stopped using or even reading other forums due to the fights! Most of us are here to learn and/or try to help. This is a very good forum, lets keep it that way!

Tuxedo007

17. Tuxedo007

Tuxedo007

I guess its the age we live in where rudeness, insults & foul language are acceptable. It might be worth considering barring repeat offenders!

18. billlarson

billlarson "Hold Into The Wind" Gold $$ Contributor

19. dbduff

dbduff Gold $$ Contributor

Forum Boss-I support your efforts 100 percent. Thankless, but censoring those unable to be civil is a necessary evil if we're to have a coherent and intelligent dialog.
    D

20. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

My one shooting buddy told me yesterday that if you think it is bad in the shooting sport, get involved in Little League or kids sports. He said it is ten times worse. I believe it is a product of the times. Matt

6MMsteve likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.