Forum Behavior Issue -- Watch it Guys

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Forum Boss, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forum Boss

Forum Boss Administrator

Message to Forum members:

The task of moderation is becoming overwhelming. Too many people are starting irrelevant, scurrilous, and misinformed threads. Too many people are posting duplicate threads without bothering to check if an identical thread exits. Too many people are "talking smack" in Classifieds threads, contrary to express rules. And a few less-than-scrupulous business people are trying to by-pass our commercial classifieds area by posting "Look at me" threads for obvious self-promotional purposes.

Enough is enough. I am spending 3 to 4 HOURS a day, seven days a week, moderating this place. At 3 hours per day, that is over 1000 hours a year, the equivalent of TWENTY-FIVE 40-hour work weeks -- or SIX MONTHS of labor.

All that time is directly limiting the amount and quality of content (articles, gear reviews, Cartridge Guides, match reports etc.) I can produce for the site.

I'm fed up. I banned two members today, and there are a dozen more people who are close to being banned.

- Don't post stupid stuff.
    - Don't start inflammatory threads which offer no useful, verified, and important information.
    - Don't post in the wrong area.
    - Don't start repetitive threads without checking the archives (and using the search function first).

Above all, pause before you hit the "post" button and ask yourself "is this really contributing to a useful discussion of accurate shooting, precision reloading, and rifle-building, or am I just doing this for my own entertainment and to stir the pot?"

If you want a full-featured site that has lots of content, it is essential that the time spent moderating the Forum be reduced.

2. Tommie

Tommie Silver $$ Contributor

People,

If you think that moderating a forum is easy work, you obviously haven't moderated before. It's a frustrating and thankless job. For goodness sake, use your best judgement when posting.

Tom

3. Spendaround

Spendaround

I have never entered a forum or online discussion of any kind because I didn't relish the thought of being chopped to pieces by cheap shot artists hiding in the weeds. I will be willing to venture this because I don't know everything but I'd like to

4. rvn1968

rvn1968 Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks again Boss,It isn't much but I'll send another $25 MO this week.You're efforts are appreciated and unrewarded,but,we have to cooperate to keep your GREAT forum alive. Tom

5. Shynloco

Shynloco You can lead a horse to water, but ........ Silver $$ Contributor

Folks,
    I go to a total of three shooting blogs in total, but this forum is where I spend most of my time. Recently, I went to one of the other forums (that shall remain un-named) just looking to see what topics were being kicked around by folks who aren't necessarily into the degree of interest, knowledge or desire to see ultimate perfection in shooting their rifles. And there one member of that blog was looking for more specific information about a problem that had arisen. Someone suggested that he go to Accurate Shooters.com for his answer. One of the immediate repliers posted that people on Accurate Shooters were a bunch of spoiled rich kids, old guys or those who were just a bunch of rigid and unhelpful bunch of people. I personally took offense to that comment, posted my take (but didn't use cuss words) and left. I go there now far less than before because I have learned so much more from this bunch who I know is helpful and willing to help and does it in a positive and not negative sense with derogatory comments about others and their posts.

So I do appreciate the reminder to all that we enjoy the sport of shooting and reloading as friends willing to help one another and not call each other "idiots" or worse in a disrespectful manner. SO long as everyone remains civil and respectful, I will continue to come to this blog in the assurance that I may not have all the answers, but there are many here who can answer my question and do so without disparaging my lack of knowledge. I rely on those sharing of ideas and found them very useful and oft times provide a new perspective on the issue being discussed. Thx to all because I still believe, you can teach an older dog new tricks merely through the way we address one another.

Alex

6. Joe Maisto

Joe Maisto jam711

Mike;

With all due respect, The moderator thing was tried on another site which did not do well. We had moderators who took it upon themselves to delete anything they though might be incitive. It created a storm, and was done away with by the forum "boss".
    I like this site just the way it is. We can always report an individual who is a continuous trouble maker, write down the thread, and let the forum boss decide. Sound ok to you ?

Joe

7. Shynloco

Shynloco You can lead a horse to water, but ........ Silver $$ Contributor

Joe,
    If I might say, I've seen that issue of the Moderator taking the heavy hand and that was because that guy believed he was the one and only person who had a final say (and knew it all) in anything posted. He had an obvious bias for certain people who disagreed with his position on technical or sponsorship issues and not the behavior of folks on the blog. That led to people leaving that blog because they got tired of "Colonel Klink" and his approach. I have personally discussed issues I wanted to post with this moderator and he is quite open to ideas and will express his thoughts as to whether raising that issue will be received positively or negatively and/or produce the desired results. So I wouldn't call anything THIS moderator has posted, as being given in a negative or "Colonel Klink" attitude. His message is to me is a reminder to be respectfully to others. Just my thoughts.

Alex

8. DennisH

DennisH Life Time NRA member

I totally agree with the above. Just getting rid of the spy bots cost me three days!

9. M14AMU

M14AMU

In other words....one must be POLITICALLY CORRECT also!!

10. rvn1968

rvn1968 Gold $$ Contributor

Captain Mulhern,I don't think political correctness is the problem.I am also a Marine and I think the BOSS would like this to remain a shooting website (and so would I) and leave the politics at home. With all due respect,Tom.

11. M14AMU

M14AMU

Roger!

READ YA LOUD AND CLEAR!

12. Whimpy

Whimpy

It is precisely the fact that there seems to be true shooters here rather than ego maniacs that I registered here. If I want to speak with fanatics, there are better places to go, but I am a shooter and I simply want to learn from other shooters not measure ______'s

13. mikecr

mikecr

Really Whimpy? You're avoiding ego maniacs here?

A recent BR shooter bashing away:
    Seems hostile to me....

14. PatrickH

PatrickH

I would just like to say that although I don't post very often, I do read through a lot of threads looking for information on this site and others. There is a clear difference between this forum and others. I have always appreciated the professionalism of this forum and its members. So, thank you for that and I will try to contribute more in the future.

15. DennisH

DennisH Life Time NRA member

Very good advice above.

Were here to learn and this is one of the best sites around. Let's keep it this way.

Dennis

16. dsfarmer

dsfarmer

my first post all I can say is job well done,thanks

17. 2000yd

2000yd

gentlemen I don't pst a lot but where can I find what all the abrev. meam? ie bump ttt btt etc
    just an old shooter looking for info thanks

18. GSPV

GSPV

Just google the term, you'll get a bunch of answers, but you'll get the picture.

19. Scotsman1

Scotsman1

Several years ago this great page, (6BR) was an awesome place to come to share and get answers.
    Especially from the,"few real experts" that are here. I looked forward to coming on the site daily and see the latest. I made no bones about contributing funds. ( several times)

The admins kept a close eye out and wouldn't put up with any crap from the occasional idiot, who just had to make a smart *** comment and put down everything anybody said or did.
    There now seems to be a clique mentality.
    It's become painfully obvious, that there are more than a hand full of these arrogant smart asses on the forum page since it has grown. And overload of Keyboard Commando's.
    I know several good men who have left, because when they asked a question, it was met with sarcasm and and ridicule by "self proclaimed experts", every time a question was asked.

The old saying of, "There's one in every crowd", has now grow to 50 in every crowd...

It truly is shameful that so many of us over the years considered this a place to learn and post sales or actually get information, to better ourselves in the shooting world.
    Now, one has to wade though the sarcasm and "put downs" for asking a question.

Yes, it is a select few, who probably consider themselves, cool, hip & happening dudes.
    But, you're not. You are EXACTLY WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE INTERNET.
    I see that some of them aren't even (SITE CONTRIBUTORS). So, they are here to make smart remarks at the others expense...literally !
    I hope that so-called, self proclaimed macho men, get their karma. Because there's NO WAY, they'd do that while standing in front of me. (I promise)
    Its always so easy to be a tough guy behind a keyboard.

I was actually proud to be a member here. And have sent , many many contributing members to the site. Good luck, before you know it, Tis place with be just like the others on the web.

Signed,
    Very Sincerely disipointed
    Scotsman.

20. Charles

Charles Silver $$ Contributor

+ 1 for Scotsman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.