Forster, Redding or Whidden

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Stud Duck, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Stud Duck

Stud Duck

As I've stated before, I am new to reloading and I want to get my first set of seating and body dies for the following calibers: 243 Win, 7mm-08, 270 Win and 300 WM. I'm not a competition shooter, just a hunter who is OCD about accuracy. I zero my rifles at 100 or 200 yards and seldom shoot over 300 yards, but I will occasionally stretch my barrel to 400.

I'm not the type to get in cheap and then upgrade later. When it comes to tools, I'm generally never happy with "good enough". I like to start with the high quality tools from the start, saving money isn't my first priority, quality and performance is, but I don't like to waste money needlessly either. I realize there is a point of diminished returns. If given the choice between 2 tools, I don't automatically buy the more expensive one just because it's more expensive. I need to see that it is clearly superior than the less expensive option so that I can justify the added expense.

That being said, I will be running a Forster Co-Ax Press and I've narrowed down the dies to three manufacturers: Forster, Redding or Whidden. (I would prefer to use micrometer dies when possible)

Based on the information above what make of dies would you recommend and since I will be reloading previously fired brass from various manufacturers, I will need a bushing-style body die rather than no bushing?

If you need additional information, please ask. Thank you in advance.

2. kneedtospeed

kneedtospeed Silver $$ Contributor

If you are looking to shoot accurately, at 400 or less, and not competing, any dies will work fine in Factory chambers. You do not need customs at this point.
    I would highly recommend using all Same BRASS, and spend time on prepping it. Trying to perfect four different guns at the same time will slow the process.
    A set of Flags will be more helpful in Your goal, than Expensive Dies.

mtncwru, damoncali and JRS like this.
  3. Richard Coody

Richard Coody Silver $$ Contributor

for you forster full length benchrest sizing die and micrometer seater. tried and true. check the reviews.

mtncwru likes this.
  4. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

The micrometer seating dies on the brands that you mentioned, are a real time saver when you start changing your seating depths.
    My preference is Forster.

5. Topwater

Topwater Silver $$ Contributor

I have just recently purchased two sets of Forster micrometer dies and am quite pleased with them.

6. Qcredneck

Qcredneck

I like the Redding micrometer better than the Forster but i think it's a Ford vs Chevy thing. One or the other will give you satisfaction. I've got both.

7. mtncwru

mtncwru Silver $$ Contributor

I, too, tried both, and arrived at exactly the opposite preference. The Forster micrometer is bigger, and I just liked the feel better. Both of them produced ammo of identical quality.

Mulligan, KMart and Qcredneck like this.
  8. jbpmidas

jbpmidas MR F-T/r

I’ve used all three with great results. That said, my last 4 die set purchases have been Whidden. The biggest reason is the included bump gauge. Truthfully, I think you’ll be well served with any of those three.

9. Richard Coody

Richard Coody Silver $$ Contributor

i really like the whidden dies too but i believe the forster are less expensive than redding or whidden and will serve his purpose well.

the design of the forster full length sizing dies expander ball location lends itself to straighter neck sizing and in my experience the forster seating die seats bullets as straight as my wilson dies with an arbor press.

now i do prefer the wilson dies and my 21st century shooting hydro press because i have better information on seating effort and control of seating depth.

10. kneedtospeed

kneedtospeed Silver $$ Contributor

For the OPs intents, and purpose, inexpensive LEEs would serve Just as well.
    Again, there are better places to gain accuracy with Hunting Rifles.
    Consistent Brass, and seat time, are good places to start...

11. Twicepop

Twicepop

I can't comment on Whidden, but for a micrometer seating die I use Forster. As I understand it Redding is a copy of the Forster, a really good copy but it's about twice the price. I have two of the Forster's one for .223 that I've used for a couple of years, and just got one for 6.5 Grendel and haven't put to use yet.

12. ranger3

ranger3

I love the Forster micrometer , also future dies for me is Forster sizing, then for bushing it's either Redding, Whidden or even the Hornady. If I'm shooting match, Whidden is first, Redding second.

13. 'Freak

'Freak

Stud Duck -

Are you talking about Whidden‘s regular ol’ “off the shelf” dies or Whidden dies that they’ve custom made according to the dimensions of your brass and of your rifle’s chamber …?

14. Stud Duck

Stud Duck

Freak: I'm speaking of the "off the shelf" Whidden dies.

I was leaning towards Forster, but you have convinced me that's what I need.

Thank you for all the replies