Forming 30 Nosler Brass

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Willo76, May 27, 2018.

1. Willo76

Willo76

Getting a 30 Nosler built out here in Oz. Can't seem to find any brass here at all. Ordered 100 pieces that will hopefully arrive late August. Can I form brass from 300 Rum or similar? Any advice appreciated.

Shawnba67 likes this.
  2. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

That would be a tough one... I suppose there would be a way to do it with modified dies. Ive formed cases with similar challenges. Be tough setting a 30 cal neck that far down on the wide RUM case body. Would need to do it in stages.

Probably shorten a 404 Jeffrey FL sizer to set the initial shoulder area. Then shorten a 338 ultra mag FL to form the neck and shoulder in further and finish with the 30 Nosler FL die. Cut/trim to length and turn necks.

Be WAY better off looking for 28 or 33 Nosler brass and then you'd just have to run it in your FL sizer with one pass and you're done.

MidwayUSA has 33 Nosler brass in stock and on sale. Heres the link.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/244638/nosler-custom-reloading-brass-33-nosler-box-of-25

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Willo76 likes this.
  3. Charlie-NY

Charlie-NY

FWIW - The 33 Nosler has a shorter shoulder length than the 30 Nosler.

4. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER Gold $$ Contributor

- I'm facing a similar issue on one of my builds as well in the Same Caliber.
    Probably the easiest would be to neck-up 28 Nosler to 30 cal. & then attempt to form it to 30 Nosler. - I believe the 28 Nosler is about 0.080 to 0.100 longer in shoulder length - The SAAMI web-site would have the exact dimensions (which I can't access at my present location).

IF 30 Nosler brass doesn't materialize in time (and I'm not in a big hurry either) then I will be necking 28 Nosler up to 30 cal. & running with that. - Alex Wheeler & @tom have already done the ground-work on the 30/28 Nosler. - My intent for the 30 Nosler is to shoot 230 gr. bullets & I wanted a caliber that was in between 300 WSM and 300 Norma Mag. - I'm looking at what kind of accuracy can be achieved with selected / sorted components for 1000 yard shooting. - I believe that 30 Nosler brass will come, when I don't know but when it does it will behoove to get what is needed at that time if its going to be a 1 run a year type deal.

Good Luck & Good Shooting

- Ron -

Willo76 likes this.
  5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Can you find loaded ammo? That may get you some brass to get by

LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  6. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

No help but Nosler really fell down on the job when it comes to brass for their big calibers. I couldn't find 28 and had to buy ammo at an exorbitant price before finding some brass here on the site. They need to take a lesson from Hornady and support their cartridges.

LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  7. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Lapua responds to customers. I hope everyone that reads this emails or calls and asks them to make 28 and 30 nosler cases. They really are the best large magnums IMO. The accuracy and ease of tuning those two cases has made me a big fan of them. If Lapua would make 30 Nosler, Id never look for a better elk round again. 215s at 3100 with H1000 is perfection to me.

rfurman24, nmkid, Willo76 and 4 others like this.
  8. L.Sherm

L.Sherm

Peterson brass would be a nice option also, I hope there listening.

Ledd Slinger and LA50SHOOTER like this.
  9. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER Gold $$ Contributor

I 100% agree, I've purchased their brass in 4 different calibers and so far it has been excellent in 2 of the 4.
    2 I haven't shot yet but the anneal is excellent & the neck thickness consistency & weight spread is top-notch on all of it.

10. Ledd Slinger

Piece of cake. Just set a false shoulder on the neck of the 33 Nosler when sizing from 33 to 30 cal. Will form safely under firing.

If 28 Nosler has a longer shoulder, the headspace would be fully set with a properly formed shoulder after sizing.

Both options are very easy and safe for forming 30 Nosler

11. Danny1788

Danny1788

ADG and Bertrum brass companys have plans to produce 28nosler brass and I'm sure probably 30nosler as well. Ive never messed with brass from either company but its better to have options then just nosler brass.

hogpatrol likes this.
  12. Ledd Slinger

I agree. The Peterson brass I received for my 300 Norma is pretty impressive. Upon receipt, it was immediately obvious that they pay close attention to detail. Measuring the cases revealed excellent uniformity. The ammo boxes they come neatly packaged in are a very nice touch as well :)

13. Charlie-NY

Charlie-NY

I was really lucky when I noticed a post indicating 30 Nosler Trophy ammo on sale for about $35/box. I bought 7 boxes loaded with 180 Accubonds and 210 ABLR bullets.
    To be honest, the ammo shoots like crap but I'm breaking in the barrel and reloading the brass. Handloads are starting to tighten up just fine.

14. rhovee

rhovee

Bertram makes 28 Nosler brass and that should be easy for you to get. If I were you, I would do a 30/28 Nosler. I have one and it’s awesome and accurate. Like Alex said. 3100 with a 215 Berger and H1000 is a good day.

LA50SHOOTER and Willo76 like this.
  15. can1010

can1010

where are you buying Bertram 28 Nosler brass? only place I have seen Bertram brass is at graf &sons and they don't carry 28 Nosler

16. Catfur

Catfur Silver $$ Contributor

Yes, it won't be fun (or, if you're the right kind of person it will be loads of fun). Hack the case down to around 2.6" or so, slowly form the case by running it through the die screwed in a little at a time, anneal a lot, and be prepared to trim and neck turn the final result. Oh and expect to lose several along the way.

Since he's from XXXX, I assume from some Aussie dealer (they are an Aussie outfit, hence the kangaroo headstamp).

17. IdahoCTD

IdahoCTD Silver $$ Contributor

The 33 Nosler is almost .100" shorter then the 30. I wouldn't use 33 Nosler brass to form 30 unless I wanted a really short neck. The 26 and 28 are .034" longer and would be better to use for forming IMO. Powder Valley has 26 Nosler brass in stock.

18. Ledd Slinger

Yeah a short neck isnt the most desireable thing in a case design. 0.100" is quite a lot. My fault for not realizing there was such a signigicant difference in the Nosler cases. The 6 Dasher seems to do well tho

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  19. rhovee

rhovee

Bertram is selling it to locals. There is a couple guys that’s making a Bertram website and have about 45k pieces on the way over here. Customs have slowed things down. But should be up for sale in the next few weeks I hear.