Force guage for bullet seating

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Jennb, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Jennb

Jennb

That is my result thus far and I have tested quite a few different inline seaters. My RC IV press with my Redding competition is the best so far.

Ned Ludd, hambone1971 and SPJ like this.
  2. Jennb

Jennb

Somebody forgot to tell me this. LMAO

3. Ares

Ares

That being Seating dies from just a few mfg's, with one die of each, and the same press.
    Hardly any conclusive evidence of anything . But yes the test is still possible to look up if anyones interested.

T-shooter likes this.
  4. SPJ

SPJ Whoops !! Gold $$ Contributor

^ whatever

BenPerfected likes this.
  5. Gruntus

Gruntus

Just resurrecting this thread for any updates.

I have a Forster co-ax press and currently use a Forster micrometer seating die. I wondered if anyone using the same setup has ever considered removing the shell holders and placing a pressure gauge (u force gauge?) under the case whilst seating the bullets? (*I hope that makes sense?)

milanuk likes this.
  6. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

That would work. Let us know when you get one done

Stan Taylor and dgeesaman like this.
  7. mikecr

mikecr

8. milanuk

milanuk Gold $$ Contributor

If only it was still available... on modern software platforms...

9. mchees1

mchees1 Silver $$ Contributor

This prototype from AMP Annealing looks interesting and might address the issues from the many responses:

10. Gruntus

Gruntus

I'm also guessing it will be very expensive!

Capt45 likes this.
  11. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

Only one way to find out...stay tuned boys and girls!

12. Ccrider

Ccrider Gold $$ Contributor

Interesting. Don’t know how useful. Would have been more informative if they had used twice fired unannealed brass as a comparison since they were comparing twice fired annealed brass. Why they chose to compare 4 time fired unannealed brass to twice fired annealed brass may tell us something.

13. WIB3

WIB3

Most if not all competitive Benchrest shooters use a custom inline bullet seater purchased as a blank and reamed with the same chamber reamer used for their chamber. Runout should not be a problem. All are being used with some sort of arbor press. There are those who say that consistent seating is not that important and the release force is the key. I believe that they go hand in hand. There are those who will say that they can seat by feel. I say good for them. My old is not that accurate anymore. Some will say using a pressure or force gauge takes too much time. My question is how much extra time does it take to seat a bullet, watch the gauge and write the number on the side of the case. For those of you that think neck tension is not that important, next season in a match, load half of your records with one bushing and the other half .001” smaller. Please let me know how you make out.

Ccrider likes this.
  14. WIB3

WIB3

I use a modified 21 Century. The pressure gauge has been replaced with a 0-15psi.(more graduation) I sort all of my record rounds for 1000yd Benchrest by the pressure. Cases change match to match. I have no set 10 record cases that I use match to match. I lube the inside of me necks by dipping them into liquid graphite. I has worked for me.

BigKev likes this.
  15. Bogusname

Bogusname Gold $$ Contributor

It’s never ending. I’ve always had fun shooting. I’m not retired with an endless budget. But I will say start with good basics- Brass, bullets.....practice.... shoot your rifle and learn it. You will be amazed ! A good barrel fitter chambered also.

16. Gruntus

Gruntus

So I managed to find someone that makes them!!

Will let you know how it works with my Co-Ax press once I have received it.

G:)

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  17. tarzan

tarzan

weld a 1/4 inch socket to lever and use a ounce dial torque wrench thought about it but I can feel when they are tight or loose so I just anneal and call it good

dgeesaman likes this.
  18. dttheliman

dttheliman Gold $$ Contributor

Whew .... AMP take my money!!!!! cool Ill get one (so I can just brag about having one :cool:) , however a comment on the video that @Gruntus posted , y'all can clearly see from the results with the guy using a manual ram, he couldn't produce the same force twice on the down stroke with an empty die - so basically the results are meaningless other than "yes you are applying some force", while the AMP uses a controlled force with their motorized press, unless of course you get your arm calibrated, but therein lies the dilemma right arm / left arm / both ? what happens if your kids help you?

19. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Gold $$ Contributor

And of course, once you have the seating force setup working, then you'd like to correlate differences in measured seating force with changes in velocity and/or on the target, which may be even more difficult.

Nonetheless, people designing, producing, and testing such ideas and approaches is how the shooting sports progress, so I'm all for it if someone has an interest in trying something new. The downside to that is that when/if that "something" appears to offer some benefit in the reloading process, of course I'm going to want one, and then my $$$ flies right out the window...again. :(

dttheliman and Oleg S like this.
  20. dttheliman

dttheliman Gold $$ Contributor

Absolutely agreed - my Point is that AMP have almost got it there, where it would in my mind, be a viable tool - what can we do but stay up there with the latest and greatest, only downside it that they showed it off with the most hipster of hipster cartridges, so the real question then becomes - do I grow a barrista bun, get skinny jeans and a 6.5 creednomoor - my old ass says mmm nope rather get the AMP on my bench :D

Ned Ludd likes this.