For coon hunters

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by hogpatrol, Nov 9, 2018 at 8:09 AM.

1. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Do these guys really get this big or are they candidates for Weight Watchers? The roadkill ones I see are usually pretty slender.
    a8248fb1-8665-4fd1-8fd7-5c7d223deaa7.jpeg 702ff2e3-3efa-4947-bb74-04b20168bc0c.jpeg

msinc, luckeeshot and timeout like this.
  2. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

you or someone seem to be feeding them pretty good, they just might have trouble climbing a tree,,

msinc, mikeinct, SPJ and 2 others like this.
  3. msinc

msinc

They are definitely some fat coons.....these guys can run some of that weight off..... PB020008.JPG PB020009.JPG PB020055.JPG

Damon555, shooter65, snert and 14 others like this.
  4. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Looks like that Walker has a mouth big enough to fit over that coons fat ass

snert, mikeinct, Chris Butler and 2 others like this.
  5. helmut in the bush

helmut in the bush

Those two would have had those porkers before they got to the tree

snert, mikeinct, Steve morgan and 3 others like this.
  6. markT

markT Silver $$ Contributor

I've got some fat coons too. Dang corn eating buggers. After deer season it on. Gonna whack as many as we can..

mikeinct, Bc'z and hogpatrol like this.
  7. timeout

timeout Silver $$ Contributor

I think the biggest one I caught was 32 pounds.

hogpatrol and msinc like this.
  8. woodbooger

woodbooger

hogpatrol likes this.
  9. msinc

msinc

Yes sir, and you can believe it has fit over quite a few!!!!

WyleWD likes this.
  10. MrMajestic

MrMajestic Gold $$ Contributor

Gonna need a bigger gun...

Chris Butler likes this.
  11. Chocdawg

Chocdawg

Raccoon hunting in Galion, Ohio during college days (actually nights) was a hoot. I’ve never run so far, so fast than when trailing after hound doggies. Quintessential ‘farm truck’ three of us in cab (no dual cabs then) with two hounds, and more dogs in the truck bed howl’ing and yowling. Floor rotting through, sparks from a dragging exhaust pipe, guns, spot lights. Everyone needs to try it at least once! Running in the woods from sun down to 6AM. Fantastic. I’ll never forget that experience. Thanks to the Denman Brothers!

snert, WyleWD, jimmymac and 6 others like this.
  12. MrMajestic

MrMajestic Gold $$ Contributor

Nobody livin' any better than you...

13. Sniper338

Sniper338

They get big! Corn stealing bastards!

14. helmut in the bush

helmut in the bush

A8D1514A-4D57-44D4-8040-AFE20B1BCA14.jpeg This my coonhound, got him in 74 when I was 14. That dog loved to hunt, he was a rough Character, still have my wheat light too.

snert, 'Freak, Chocdawg and 5 others like this.
  15. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

He's got that "You owe me money" look.:D

16. Snuggie

Snuggie F/TR-F/Open Gold $$ Contributor

Those are some big ass coons guys! I’ve never seen one that big in Louisiana, but then I haven’t been coon hunting for quite a while either. I remember running them with my dad and his dogs. Great times they were indeed!

17. WillyTP

WillyTP FBBW Gold $$ Contributor

Could you imagine a 40 pounder that was physically fit......nothing on this earth could whoop it, they are some bad a$$ critters.

hogpatrol, msinc, KMart and 1 other person like this.
  18. MikeMcCasland

MikeMcCasland Silver $$ Contributor

My family runs pecan orchards and cattle on some decent sized acreage in Texas; we also happen to lease to deer hunters etc., so there's a constant year round supply of corn, protein, livestock feed, or pecans for them (depending on the time of year).

I wouldn't classify it as "hunting, more "systematic eradication", but I've probably shot a few thousand of them over the course of my life (used to go spotlight for them almost every weekend in highschool), and a few of them have been absolute monster coons. I'd guess the biggest ones got as big as ~30-40lbs; think as big as a medium size dog. That's not to say these were common, but they were absolutely out there.

If you don't keep them under hunting/trapping pressure for a while, they can get huge. It's a lot like any other animal population out there; probably be a lot of 170+ class bucks running around if they procreated at the rate coons do, and didn't have any hunting pressure.

Best to get after them when grasses are lower/grazed, and the trees don't have so much foliage. In a pasture that hasn't seen pressure, under the right conditions, you can spotlight rows of pecan trees and see 10-20 pairs of eyes glowing back at you. I can recall a few nights where "we just got tired of killing em"; stopped counting at the 50 mark, and stopped hunting/killing em an hour or so after hitting 50.

Also, centerfires work best; the 22lrs don't kill them all that well.

mr45man, Chocdawg and hogpatrol like this.
  19. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

Damn
    Those are fair sized Coons!

msinc likes this.
  20. blackwidowp61

blackwidowp61

Just think of how big a head you would have to have to fill out that coonskin cap!:eek::D

SPJ and msinc like this.