Folks Using My Ultrasonic Case Cleaning Process...Please Look.

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by jb1000br, Jan 4, 2007.

1. rsilvers

rsilvers

Sodium Bi-sulfate is what jewelry makers use to clean scale off metal.

I just did an experiment.

1 gallon of White Vinegar was $2.99 at the supermarket. I mixed it with tap water 50/50. The tap water was 7 PH before I mixed. After mixing, it was 4.3 PH. So it seems like we need about 4 PH.

So, that mix is $1.50 per gallon.

I then went to Leslie's Pool Supply and bought 10 lbs of 'dry acid' (93% Sodium Bi-Sulfate). With tax it costs $25.49.

I tried various amounts per 100 ml of water (in a graduated cylinder). I started with 21 grains, and the PH was under 3.5. I did it over and over, and in the end, found that 0.4 grains per 100 ml was 4 PH.

So that means, we need 15 grains of powder per gallon to match the Vinegar mix.

So 10 lbs makes 4667 gallons.

$25.49/4667 = 0.55 cents per gallon (1/2 penny).

So Vinegar mix is 271 times more expensive than this solution.

2. rsilvers

rsilvers

I have a large Crest ultrasonic and I just filled it. It is like this one but twice as wide (7 gallons for mine):

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=51624/pid=26431/sku/F1200HT_Ultrasonic_System?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&mc_id=10000&cvsfa=2345&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3232333030303030332d3232333030303030332d363831

I dumped in a powder-tray of this powder. It was about 450 grains.

So that is 64 grains per gallon, or 160 times as concentrated as what I just calculated was needed. We will see what happens - it is still far less concentrated than what jewelry makers use:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2820526/soldering_broken_jewelry.html

3. rsilvers

rsilvers

For those who use Vinegar - it seems like you should be adding salt.

4. chevi_guy

chevi_guy

Jason

I saw more than 1 model at Harbor Freight. Do you hav a model #
    One had a sst bowl that looked like it would hold about a Qt or two of Liquid.
    Do you mix your solution with something for use in an ultrasonic cleaner? How long does it last in cleaner?

Last, are you going to get more of your sulation? If so let me know and I will take several bottles.

Ben Foster

5. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

Back before PC made growing up a "virtual" experience in more ways than one, simple chemistry sets I believe had that stuff in one of the little glass bottles. I know I went thru a couple of sets before my augmented recipes were the cause of more than one house-emptying experiment.

I usually will buy more of just about anything than I need for a particular project, but 4,667 gallons of pickling solution is a little extreme. (Anybody need any cerium oxide powder? I have about a pound left over; I hear rare earth compound prices have skyrocketed since I bought it in 2004.)

Maybe you could sell off small quantities to interested individuals, as some do with moly or hBN powder? It'd bump the cost per ounce of solution up some what with shipping but with that 271:1 ratio I think it'd be sustainable.

6. Jim D

Jim D

Not wanting to take any chances, chemically harming my brass, I used plain distilled water in my ultrasonic cleaner.

I set my timer at max, which is 30min. The water was quite dirty.
    After three times, the water came out pretty clean.

I could see the shine on the inside of the caseings.

My main concern is to remove sizing lube and carbon from my casings.

Just my experience.

Jim

7. mickwwalker

mickwwalker

What System do you USE? I am thinking doing some research to find out whats better Wet tumblers or Ultra sonic? What say YOU? Mick PHX AZ :)

8. Taildrag15X

Taildrag15X

rsilvers has a Crest as mentioned above and I use an L&R 380.

9. TimP

TimP Silver $$ Contributor

JB1000BR

New to the forum. What is your process?

10. fe1

fe1

When using Birchwood Casey cleaner does one put the solution in the US metal tank or in a container to set in the tank? B.C. instructions says Dont Use In Metal Containers. I'm Confused

11. Shoes 727

Shoes 727

Might be a little late for this response.........but, I put a "glass" beaker in the Sonic tank. You can fit TWO 400ml beakers in the tank (you use less solution that way) Also , do not overload the beakers, as it's takes longer (more cycles) to clean the brass. Be sure to RINSE the cases.......as they will tarnish if cleaning solution is left on them. I've tried everything (Simple Green, Super Purple, Vinegar,
    Birchwood, Hornady. Birchwood or Hornady seem to work the best.

12. Juma

Juma

Now a great fan of water and citric acid with rinse in soapy water. This really cleans the innards with 3 cycles. ;)

13. PSimon23

PSimon23

I sent you in pm

14. gilream

gilream

This original post is 5 and 1/2 years old. Is it still relevant?

15. fe1

fe1

Who did u P.M.?

16. Juma

Juma

We operate an Aussie Jaycar USC and tried water with a solid dose of lime juice i.e. from squeezed limes off the garden tree. Amazing cleaning prowess especially the insides of the cases.

Silverfox likes this.
  17. Webster

Webster

Don't you have to pay a $25 HAZMET fee for each shipment? It is a chemical.

18. trgtsnpr

trgtsnpr

i'll take 6 bottles please let me know how to pay thanks bill

19. ireload2

ireload2

Cases cleaned with vinegar will start tarnishing and turning dark with a week or two no matter how well you rinse them.
    Cases cleaned with the Brichwood Casey Case Cleaner will stay bright almost indefinitely.

20. normmatzen

normmatzen Silver $$ Contributor

I may be a day late and a dollar short, but I stopped using ultrasonic cleaning of my cases due to a problem I found.
    I used a 50-50 blend of vinegar to filtered water with a small dash of liquid dish washing soap. My cases came out totally clean and shiny! Then, I cold welded a couple case necks to the mandrel of my LEE collet die! Even when they didn't cold weld, the seating force was all over the map. Turns out, the acid bath cleaned too much, maybe to the result that some of the surface material was selectively etched away making a rather coarse surface.
    I went back to tumbling in walnut shell media as well as trying just bore brushing the inside of the necks. I settled on the latter as the seating force variations were less.

Plus, the ultrasonic cleaning was time consuming including the clear water rinses required to eliminate the acid. Then drying the cases.

I still tumble in media every so often, but that's it!

J P Brown likes this.