Flag ribbon idea you may not be familiar with

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by BoydAllen, Dec 7, 2018 at 1:30 AM.

1. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

The late great Skip Otto also did this, only with a different heavy component. The idea is to use two ribbons, so that you can get useful information in both light and heavier conditions. He went even heavier on the front, heavy one, using six strands of the heaviest black yarn knotted together at intervals. I ran across a brief blip of this on a video on YouTube.
    upload_2018-12-6_23-30-30.png

JRS likes this.
  2. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

Skip did many things few are aware of.

3. SmittyJon

SmittyJon Silver $$ Contributor

When I started competing in IBS BR Score 20 years ago, one of my mentors had a set of flags with nearly the same setup. He used surveyor's tape and a length of 1" wide, flat nylon strapping. He claimed the strapping was for good for "anything (wind) over 10 mph," and the tape for "anything less." He did well at some Matches and not so well at others, so it's hard to tell if the heavier strapping really helped. The key word there being "really." I suppose someone could set up a test and see if a heavier tail gives any useful meaningful information, or not. The keyword there is "useful." Oh well . . . :confused:

Chris Mitchell

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 7:03 AM
  4. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

IMO when surveyors' tape is horizontal and flapping, it only tells you that the wind is blowing hard. I have put the original ribbons back on my Hood flags. They are actual cloth ribbon, hung from a snap swivel. Before they pick up they start to spin. They are different than any others that I have seen. I have also used surveyors' tape and for light conditions it works, but conditions are not always light.

simo hayha and Terry like this.
  5. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

Boyd
    Do you feel that the extra weight of the second strand affects the sensitivity of the unit , in general I'm in the camp of the single ribbon.
    BTW- thanks for all you do to promote the shooting community.
    Best Regards
    Jim

tn6br and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  6. Terry

Terry Gold $$ Contributor

What would you use to make them?

7. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow

I use 1.5 ounce sail cloth. I store them in a one inch tube until the match. This way they are shaped as a curled airfoil. They are nearly as light as surveyor's tape but still hold their shape.
    The late and great Dick Grosbier told me my flags don't tell him anything. My response? "Perfect".

simo hayha, GSPV, tn6br and 1 other person like this.
  8. PDS

PDS Silver $$ Contributor

9. moondog

moondog Gold $$ Contributor

I shoot in Wyo from time to time. This is not far from the truth!

simo hayha and ebb like this.
  10. josh shrum

josh shrum Gold $$ Contributor

My brother and I drove from SW PA to Powell Idaho back in 2007, in January. I90 from eastern South Dakota all the way to Missoula MT was intense. I have never steered so much on a straight road in my entire life. Then I went snowmobiling in the Bitteroots...

simo hayha likes this.