Fit of "Tip off" Rings

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by centershot, Jul 12, 2018.

1. centershot

centershot Silver $$ Contributor

I am mounting a scope on my .22 with "tip off" mounts. The mounts do not go all of the way down in the grooved receiver. The middle of them hits on the top of the rounded receiver. When you tighten the mount, it grabs the groove but not on the bottom. I am afraid the scope will not be on there securely. It this the way they mount? I am afraid that the point of impact will change or worse, the scope could come off. I am thinking of having the mount radiused so it will fit the top of the receiver. Am I over the top on this? These are Talley rings.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  2. Ggmac

Ggmac

What type of rifle ? Some tip off rings require ones that specifically say for round receivers . Some 22 ( foreign and older Czs are 11 mil )

centershot likes this.
  3. centershot

1959 Nylon 66.

4. centershot

I looked at my "stach" of scope rings and two of them were radiused for the receiver. Weaver and Burris. The Weaver fits just fine. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

5. Bottom Gun

Bottom Gun

Don’t expect too much from it. I’ve owned a number of Nylon 66 rifles over the years. I still have the first one I bought in the ‘60s. They are, in my opinion, one of the finest semi auto .22 rifles ever made.

They do, however, have one weakness. The grooved receiver leaves much to be desired. I tried scoping several different rifles but none would hold a zero for long. The rings keep slipping in that radiused receiver groove and the zero changes slightly. It’s quite irritating.

I tried Weaver, Redfield and Millett rings with my Nylon 66 rifles. None would hold a decent zero.

It is, however, a great rifle to shoot with iron sights.

I hope you have better luck scoping yours.

centershot likes this.
  6. centershot

Bottom, I have been having a problem with the scopes staying on the rifle. The tip off idea was great so young cub scouts could mount their own scope. It is a real challenge to have success. I think that I do have a solution. Time will tell. ;)

7. Bottom Gun

Bottom Gun

The problem with the Nylon 66 family is the receiver is a stamping and tip-off rings simply don’t fit it very well. The “groove” in the receiver is actually a series of compound radii.

One thought I had but never tried was to mount a scope using TWO sets of thin profile rings like Milletts. If one used a full size scope there might be enough room to do it. It could work but I guess there is only one way to find out.

8. centershot

I believe that I have had success. I used a set of Weaver tip off rings. On the small plate that grabs one side of the grove, there is a serrated side and a plain side. I chose the plain side. I removed the receiver cover and took the ring off of the mount. The actual grove in the receiver is not all the way on the bottom. It is slightly up from the bottom I used an Optiviser, magnifier, to locate the fine grove. I then carefully mounted the bottom part of the scope ring to the receiver. I wiggled it a bit to make sure that it was in the right position. Then I tightened the pinching screw. I repeated it with the other mount. I then put the scope on the mount with the ring attached to the scope. Then I put the receiver cover back on the stock. I took it to the range today and it worked! Nice rifle, but a "Mickey Mouse" scope attachment.