First time, last minute Prarie dog trip. Questions.

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by 59f100292, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Coyotefurharvester

Coyotefurharvester

If you don't have gps and shooting in unfamiliar area, I would not stay out past sunset. At least get back to a road by dark.

fyrewall likes this.
  2. Damon555

Damon555

Do not leave the 6XC at home! We had two on our last trip and shot the hell out of both of them.....between the wind and the wariness of the p-dogs this time of year long shots galore are the rule not the exception. The 6xc (a 6mm of some sort) is a must in my opinion. Loaded with the right bullet it is deadly......and the right bullet at the moment, for me anyway, is the 105 Beger hunting VLD. That bullet really cuts through the wind and has very good terminal performance on varmints....

https://bergerbullets.com/product/6-mm-105-gr-vld-hunting/

Hornady can kiss my ass on the 105 Amax!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Bc'z and Mark W like this.
  3. SBS

SBS Gold $$ Contributor

Take all the rifles you have in varmint calibers and plenty of ammo. Running out of ammo sucks. Only happened to me once; never again!

4. fyrewall

fyrewall

Long shots? Wariness? The rodents are stupid but not that stupid! Practice elementary concealment - like don't skyline your vehicle, conceal it behind a ridge or brush even if it means lugging some bench or tripod 100 yards or so. Dull down equipment with flat paint. Pre-select other shooting spots for periodic moves. I think their cute chirping sounds are warnings.

I ran out of Hornady Amax bullets about 3 years ago. The 95 Berger hunting VLD @ 200 fps more than 105's, is a nice bullet despite price per round but its swat effect is nothing like the splat effect of the 87 Vmax.

Edit: the need for long range shooting caused by rodent wariness is evident - the rodents have enough intelligence to identify threats. A huge shiny vehicle might sound an alarm though the rodent community.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  5. 59f100292

59f100292

Thanks. All great advice. I've been unable to respond in this thread so far. Kept getting an error message. On the advice of another member here, I'm going to swap out the 36X scope on the .223 for a viper 2.5-10 from another gun.

JSH likes this.
  6. hunter67

hunter67

All great advice. Have fun and standby to be bit by the Pdog bug as it will cost you money. I know as I just picked up my 20 vartag yesterday. lol

7. DeadWoodDan

DeadWoodDan

MrMajestic likes this.
  8. SBS

SBS Gold $$ Contributor

https://www.harborfreight.com/foldable-aluminum-sports-chair-62314.html?_br_psugg_q=chair Best chair I've found for the PD spotter and handy at HP matches also. Weighs 6 1/2 lb., folds flat or locks open in seconds,, fold down side shelf, pockets on other side for drinks, glasses, wind meter, maps, etc. Backrest and padded arms to rest your elbows on when trying to steady the binoculars in the wind. Cheap, too. You will have to replace the vinyl tips on the leg ends with rubber crutch tips, but that's all the maintenance in 6 years of fairly heavy use.

xring likes this.
  9. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Silver $$ Contributor

Don't wear white T shirts or hats, p. dogs pick up that color and movement.

A tarp is worth it's weight in gold.

Keep your ammo out of the sun. If you do not have a tarp, keep your ammo box under a thick towel. Don't let a round cook in a hot chamber, keep your bolt open till you have the cross hair on the next target.

We have drove 4' stakes in the ground and attached camo material, benchtop height, just shot over the top of it...this hides movement and helps from spooking dogs more than you could ever believe. P.dogs are scared to death of a human's voice.

White trucks can put p. dogs down to 450 yards pretty fast, green and dark blue, not so much, Chrome on the truck tells all. Drive the truck a ways away from you if you can.

Insect spray!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Rustytigwire likes this.
  10. Cubby

Cubby

That sign is on the way to Hell Creek on Fort Peck right?

11. Rustytigwire

Rustytigwire Gold $$ Contributor

Are you there yet?

12. 59f100292

59f100292

No first week in August. I was a bit disappointed with my 6xc, Rl-15 and the Sierra 80 gn. I’m hoping to have time to try a few kids on h380 before I go. Work may get in the way.

13. KY-Windage

KY-Windage

What we find works optimally is the lightest bullet available, going at max or near-max velocity. In .223 that is the 35-gr. VMax. We get first-shot kills out to 500 and beyond that you are plinking at them no matter what you are shooting because they are such a small target (the vitals, anyway).

Nothing you have is going to enable you to see many hits so team up with another guy -- one shoots and the other spots with his scope. Set your tables up side by side.

Keep in mind that going in and out of the vehicle numerous times as we do when on PD's all day is a great way to run your battery down.

14. Mark W

Mark W Gold $$ Contributor

Snakes and bugs aren’t the only thing to keep an eye out for...... It was 104 degrees a couple weeks ago in SD when we felt a cool breeze and turned around to see this tornado in the distance. Luckily it didn’t come our way but we dodged some nasty thunderstorms both days.

641110DB-75FE-4D25-BABE-4343D86E8D92.jpeg

Rustytigwire, Bc'z and fyrewall like this.
  15. rayporter

rayporter Silver $$ Contributor

i remember that!!!

Mark W likes this.
  16. xring

xring Silver $$ Contributor

Mark , on one of our Pdog Trips many years ago I ran into something I have never seen before . Traveling North across Minnesota ( on I35 ) according to the Radio we were a few Miles South of I90 where a Tornado was traveling West to East towards Albert Lea . All the cars were pulling over along the Road side and parking so I did the same . Everything from the ground up ( and I'm talking 180 Deg. ) was covered in a dark Purple Haze . Darnedest thing I have ever seen while driving . Waited for a few minutes until the Tornado was East of Albert Lea , then proceeded North , then West to S. Dakota and were quickly out of the Purple Haze .

Mark W likes this.
  17. 59f100292

59f100292

Yea I definitely am not set up with optimal loads. For the .223 I’m shooting a 55 Nos vgdn, and the 22-250 the 60 SIerra Varminters. Not small and fast but it’s what I already had loads developed for ground hogs and coyotes. I’ve never shot under 52 grains with either. The .223 is a 1:8, the 22-250 is 1:13 and would handle the smaller ones well I suspect. Unfortunately I’ll be spending my limited free time coming up with a kid for the 6xc, and have to stick with what I have for the two .22 cals

Mark W likes this.
  18. JSH

JSH

Accuracy trumps speed all the time. If you have an accurate rig, your set. I do a 200 yard zero.

FYI it is almost as much fun spotting as it is shooting, did I just admit that???;-)

Every time one of these threads comes up, I see some one crawling around. Maybe terrain is better else where, to eachs own, just have fun. I myself don’t care to crawl around in cactus, sand, ants and snakes.

sw282 and Mark W like this.
  19. 59f100292

59f100292

Another question: the 22-250 is set up on about a 1 thou shoulder bump, but the bolt is snug on closing. The thing shoots amazingly well for what it is, so I’ve never fooled with it. Will that be a problem After a few dozen rounds at varmints? Any reason to be concerned about the chamber getting a bit fouled and not being able to close the bolt? I can adjust the die to bump a hair more.

20. JSH

JSH

I have a rifle set about the same way, different caliber. I never had any issues, I did run a bore snake through it about every 20-25 rounds too. Never had much use for one in the past, now I have them for 17-6mm.

FYI, I bring a fair amount of tools with me. Guys made fun of me till one of them needed something. I have a flip top tote that has about everything one may need and then some. It is also handy to throw in on a range trip. Don’t take stuff off your bench to take with you, double up. Otherwise you either can’t find something at home or forget to put it in for the trip.
    Double check rifles and ammo before ya leave. 17 Hornet will not work in a 17 Fireball. I have a couple of rifle that are clones other than caliber, action, stock and scope are identical.
    Just trying to save grief.
    A light long sleeve shirt and some sun block is also a must. Large brim hat is handy as well.
    Jeff

fyrewall likes this.