First center fire deer rifle for a boy ?

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by XTR, Jan 19, 2019.

1. perry42

perry42 Gold $$ Contributor

A Ruger #1 or Browning 1885 in 243. I personally would like a Martini or 1885 action in 6br.

perry42

2. XTR

XTR

I'm not planning to rebarrel anything at this point, if I was I'd make a #1 in 6SLR since I have the reamer and the reloading gear.

3. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

depends on the size of the boy. We started off our small nephews at 6 years old sitting in our laps with a TC carbine in 30/30 shooting remington reduced loads. Hand the boy a #1 and see if it is muzzle heavy to him. If the boy can handle the rifle well, chances are he will shoot it well. If it is a boat anchor for him to handle, then he will not enjoy it.

TC 30/30 kick very little, especially with reduced loads available from Remington. My 6 year old nephew killed three does, two hogs, a bob cat, feral dog his first year with the TC Carbine. It took him 3 years to out grow the TC, went to a 7/08 Rem 700 at 9 years old, reduced loads. I had replacement stocks that I cut to fit his length of pull perfect so he had easy target acquisition. Children also need lighter triggers than adults.

Length of pull for children is very, very short, 11"-12" max, they should be measured. 13.75" length of pull is NEVER going to fit a child where he can easily see though the scope, if at all.

Practice at the range is a wonderful thing to a young child, time with dad or uncle is never forgotten. Practice, practice, practice. My two nephews also wanted to shoot all blue jays, wood peckers, squirrels, hawks, buzzards that that saw. It was a good time to teach right and wrong in the deer stand.

We had the nephews busting clay pigeons at 100 yards before they ever got in a deer stand. They were always ready to go and shoot.

msinc, varmintshooter, okie and 2 others like this.
  4. troupe

troupe

What about a 7mm-08 and load down. 100 to 120 bullets ? As he grows, so does the ammo power. 7-08 will handle most any critter going and also give more oomph with distance.

Just Say Moe and okie like this.
  5. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Going against the grain here, so flame away. If he has no experience, set him up with a fast twist .223 Remington. Very light recoil, super accurate with the right handloads and some factory loads and he'll want to shoot it as much as possible. I've heard many stories about youth in PA getting their first deer with a bolt action .223.

msinc, Bamban, MrMajestic and 3 others like this.
  6. savagedasher

savagedasher

We have been doing youth hunting Hunts at our place of hunting
    30 to 50 kids
    They hunt deer and hogs
    The kill to wound ratio depends on the kids and the equipment they use
    The biggest wound loss is a
    223 Shotgun and 243 was next
    30 caliber gun had far the best ratio
    In the last 10 year I know of one that was lost
    You can loose a child from wanting to hunt by too much recoil and the loss of game

7. AckleymanII

Gun fit is critical for a child, they simply have to be able to mount the gun, and be able to see through the scope. Imagine someone wanting you to shoot a rifle with a 20" length of pull. Also, if they can not handle the rifle due to front end weight. Simply hand the unloaded rifle to the child and ask them to swing the rifle at various objects. Small children can not handle much.

Remember, a 10"-11" length of pull for small children, light front end on the rifle.

8. WindSurgeon

WindSurgeon

.243. Both of my kids started with this caliber/gun and it served them well deer hunting! It is a Ruger M77 with a Luepold 3-9x. Its light weight. It has also served me well as a pronghorn gun over the years which attests to its versatility. I still have it and still hunt with it.

9. okie

okie Gold $$ Contributor

my gunsmith says my kids are midgets, so we started off with a 10.5" lOP. Now one is up to 12.5" and the other is at 12"--reduced loads and light(er) triggers. pair of 18" model sevens in .260---100 grains. they are at 20 or so whitetails, a semi load of hawgs and we havent lost one yet. DONT let them shoot them without ear protection. The sound is painful and the anticipation of it can be worse than recoil...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    mikeinct and Evan like this.
  10. okie

okie Gold $$ Contributor

yep

11. savagedasher

savagedasher

9 1/2 and was still a little long
    For my granddaughter
    She was only 9 when she shot a water buffalo one sho kill with a 308
    She had shot hogs at 8
    And kill everyone with one shot because the gun fit her
    She shot ever one in the head because the gun fit her

painter likes this.
  12. Just Say Moe

Just Say Moe

Get a Howa youth model with 2 stocks

13. Just Say Moe

Just Say Moe

This is what I did with my youngest - 120 grain Ballistic Tips. Worked so well my 85 year old father now uses my "kid loads."

14. AckleymanII

We have a winner!!!!

Cut one stock real short to fit the youngster! Speer has some light loads listed in their manuals, and the 130g speer btsp is a great place to start!

15. AckleymanII

Get those plastic stocks, cut to length, fill with foam up to a point, then bondo, casting resin, or better JB Weld, then attach recoil pad.

Don't forget a good trigger job as those tiny fingers find it hard to deal with a 5 lb trigger.

msinc likes this.
  16. Just Say Moe

Just Say Moe

The Howa 2 N 1 youth package has a short stock and adult one in the package - no cutting necessary

[​IMG]

Immike likes this.
  17. AckleymanII

Great marketing on their part, but a 12" Length of Pull is way to long for a lot of youngsters. If the LOP is too long, they can't reach the trigger in a comfortable way, and they will not have the butt of the stock in the pocket of their shoulder. This is easy stuff to fix for a child.

18. savagedasher

savagedasher

Plastic stock is hard to modify

19. Just Say Moe

Just Say Moe

Good points, but if shorter, I would be worried about them getting too close to the scope and bashing their eyebrow. I Both my boys started when they were 6-7 with full size stocks.

20. savagedasher

savagedasher

Don’t put them in a heavy recoil gun a put a break on on it
    A gun that fits them the can handle the recoil becas the stock is in the shoulder