First center fire deer rifle for a boy ?

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by XTR, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Immike

Immike Gold $$ Contributor

I started my boy with a 7-08 and it was a good deal, not your choices but it worked out and still is a great rifle as he matured.

Just Say Moe, msinc and Bc'z like this.
  2. Mark W

Mark W Gold $$ Contributor

I started with a 30-30 and have always kept one in my arsenal of hunting rifles. With that said, I currently have three 243s to one 30-30.

I agree that a 243 will be a lot more versatile than a 30-30. I would make the decision based on hunting terrain. If hunting in the woods with thickets nearby and shots 100 yards and under, I would choose a 30-30. If hunting more open country like farm fields with mixed wood lots, I would choose 243.

Not sure if varmints are are on the menu in the OPs area but that would definitely garner points for the 243.

mikeinct and MrMajestic like this.
  3. 1885Winman4590

1885Winman4590

Hi guys, I didnt know if mine was going to like to hunt, so I bought him a rifle I liked. Browning BLR in 257 Roberts. He love then and still does. That was 1984. Now his son is old enough, and its lookin like he's gonna pass it on and buy himself a new one.

4. DHuffman

DHuffman Gold $$ Contributor

How true.

msinc, Shoebox and snert like this.
  5. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

.243 all the way,could be the same rifle all His hunting career for deer sized game down to rodents.

6. XTR

XTR

I thought about a 7-08. I've got one, it is my favorite deer rifle, but mine's probably a tad heavy, and I don't want to whack my stock off short enough for him.

Immike likes this.
  7. Immike

Oh come on dad...Lol Sounds like you love this boy! Good for him and you both! I’m sure he’s happy with what you come up with!

8. long40shot

long40shot Gold $$ Contributor

I say the 243. The lower recoil will help him to learn to shoot accurately and that should build his confidence.

9. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Gold $$ Contributor

Well between the two I would go with what the masses have stated... 243...
    But in order to be termed "That guy" I will say you should get a 6.5 Creedmoor.. lol..
    Seriously the 243. Lite recoil flat trajectory, What's no to love..?

msinc, Bc'z and Immike like this.
  10. Rushty

Rushty Silver $$ Contributor

Another vote for 243... I’ve had both and found the 243 ran rings around the 30/30.. 70 to 95gn Bullets worked well, 55s shot flat and hit hard..

11. XTR

XTR

I'd figured for the last couple of yrs when the time came I'd get him a 243, but I'd recently started to wonder about a 30-30 and what the recoil was really like on one. My brother has absolutely slaughtered deer in southeast GA over the last 30 yrs with a Marlin. I gave him one 30 yrs ago, Nuthin' fancy, but it puts meat in the freezer with great regularity.

Immike likes this.
  12. Immike

Probably more deer killed by the 30-30 than anything, close range... 243 with a heavy can field hunt also. My brother in law used to hunt with one (30-30) until the deer poured into a field right in front of him... he shot around 7 times and they were running around sniffing on the impacts. He went home... and came back with a 300WSM and hasn’t done any better. Lol

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  13. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Yes! I was trying to stay within the OP's choices.
    My first thought was 260.

And this the ever so popular 6five creed.

Get him his own stock and swap out the barreled action.
    Look at it like this
    If your taking your son hunting do you need your favorite deer rifle, or does he?
    How proud would you &your son be if he took his dirt deer with your favorite that you customized to fit him for his 1st hunt.

Now back to the .264's
    What's not to like?
    Great external balistics, good wind bucking capabilities, manageable recoil, and a rifle that will get him many years of service.

14. savagedasher

savagedasher

Going to be different
    308 savage youth wit off and on break
    Low recoil and a break it very soft recoil
    And as he gets older he can have
    a gun for anything in North America

Bc'z likes this.
  15. AKShooter

AKShooter Silver $$ Contributor

Surprised nobody mentioned the 6br? If you are rebarreling a number 1 than it gets my vote

Factory, then .243

My brother and I went back and forth about a rifle for his girls. We ended up with a 6.5x47 mainly because my other brother already reloads for one. But the 6br was it if we went .243 cal.

16. R.Morehouse

R.Morehouse Gold $$ Contributor

A Ruger #1 in 243 is an outstanding choice..........:cool:

Rushty likes this.
  17. Gman

Gman Silver $$ Contributor

This is excellent advise !

mikeinct and Mark W like this.
  18. Hondo64d

Hondo64d

Of the two choices you gave, the .243 but nowadays I’d go with the 6.5 Creedmoor.

John

19. B Nettesheim

B Nettesheim Silver $$ Contributor

243 gets my vote, my daughter has cranked 2 bucks with a single shot each. She started shooting it when she was 9 and got her first buck that year and never developed a flinch when shooting it. I learned shooting with 12 gauge slugs and a 41 mag dont do that! A response above recommended a 45-70 and that’s one of the worst recommendations ive ever heard of start him out slow he’s not out Cape buffalo hunting.

20. clunker

clunker

Tough decision, but I would agree with what others have suggested. If it is only between the .243 and the 30-30, go with the .243. But if you are open to other calibers, the 6.5 Creedmoor is a fine choice. My first rifle was a .223. Not really the best rifle for deer, but I got really good at shooting with it. My next rifle was a 6.5 Creedmoor because I already had an outstanding varmint rifle, and I wanted to consider hunting elk. If I had to start over, and I could only get one rifle, it would probably be a .243 or 6BR.