Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by mram10, Jan 12, 2018.
Always has to be the token keyboard idiot ruining good threads. Glad you have time to waste.
I need to find better ways to keep my lathe clean. Saw viper lay down cloths while chambering. Think I’ll try that
mram, I buy the cheap aluminum baking pans from dollar general to catch my chips and cutting fluid when chambering, when they get all out of shape throw then away and buy more, Works quite well for me!
Thanks Jess. I’ll check them out.
I don't see a lot of oil on your reamer. They need to be slathered in it. Good thick smelly high-sulphur cutting oil. Maybe that's why it got stuck.
I used to spend hours chambering. 50 thou in, then pull the reamer, un-seat from the tailstock, blow off the chips, rinse in mineral spirits, blow off again, coat with cutting oil, repeat. I spent all of about $30 to build a barrel flushing system. I already had a coolant system so I don't count that into the cost, but I built the coolant system for about $100 or so.
Notice my high-tech splash shield.
GP, like your setup. The reamer pilot was super tight, not the reamer body. I mixed some thick gear oil with ridgid thread cutting oil and tried to use as much as the barrel and reamer would hold. I did too long of passes with the 300wsm reamer because I had to use a nylon rod to tap it out from the muzzle. The 6.5-284 reamer worked great, but I did .150 passes. Sounds like I should do less.
Sounds like the wrong size pilot, not a bad reamer.
I don't worry too much about chips and such, but whenever I'm using a tool post grinder or abrasive paper, I try to catch as much as I can. YMMV.
Then again my lathe is older than I am, and both of us have accumulated plenty of dents and scars along the way.
Tm, the reamer only came with that pilot and I shouldn’t have even tried it. Wondering if i should cut an inch off the chamber and redo it with the correct pilot. I’ll shoot it first and see
You could scope it and check for scarring, but I'd probably still shoot it and see what happens. This is why we poor folks don't start out chambering carbon fiber blanks . . .
But I'm guessing you know that now.
Sog, I got the barrels for a great price and less than I could get a fluted barrel is why. I definitely took my time. I’ll shoot and let you guys know how they shoot. Still waiting on my stocks.
I'm interested to see how that goes. As an aside, every stinkin' time I think I've got a deal, turns out there was a reason whatever it is was cheap. I'm hoping your luck revolves around a better star than mine does.
I truly wish you the best in your endeavor.
I need to buy a steady and try that some time, just to see what I can see.
I know that the 4 jaw set up is the most sought after way of one set up but I can chamber 3 barrels by the time they are done with one an it hasn't been a issue for me to have good run out on fired cases.
BTW - did you email me?
My regular email is on my laptop st work I was going to email you from that computer.
Gotcha. Just wondering.
Sorry for the drift. Carry on, Gents.
Sog, thank you for the good wishes. I’ll be shooting in the next couple days so I’ll have a report. Gotta bed it in an hs stock till I get my shipment.
If you have a tight solid pilot you can put the reamer between centers and stone a few tenths off in a few minutes. That's assuming you checked everything before setting up the barrel and the lathe is still available. I've done that many times with bushings for tight bore barrels.
Dave, great! Thanks. I’ll do that for next time. Do you think I ruined anything using the tight pilot?
Thanks to eww1350, I spent the morning removing the motor and adding 50mil rubber deadener between the motor and bracket and a 1/4” piece between the bracket and the headstock. While I had the back splash guard off, I made a test bar between centers and got the tail stock and headstock in alignment. Both under .002 in 18” which is good enough for me. Got 4 more bxa holders I need to setup. That brings the total to 9 normal holders, boring bar and parting setup. I’ll have some lunch and try to knock out some threading to see if all this has helped the chatter. My wedge anchors will be here Tuesday, so that should help too. Trying to figure out some harmonics in the bed. Hums a little when the tool is cutting
Separate names with a comma.