first .222 freebore advice

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by swadiver, Mar 25, 2019.

1. swadiver

swadiver Silver $$ Contributor

building my first .222 Remington. gonna be for 100 yds, as precise as possible paper punching. going to be using 52 gr Bergers or Barts. need precision over velocity if i have to choose.

i need to send 3 dummy rounds to Shilen so they can set the freebore. i have been advised to go with about .020" freebore.

i have a lot of experience with these bullets in slow twist .223's. but, seeing how much longer the neck is on the .222 vs the .223, what is the ideal amount of bearing surface in the neck with the .222? is .224" in the neck too much?

thanks

2. pacificman

pacificman

If it were me I would go with zero free bore. The throat will wear and you can then move the bullet
    closer to the lands as it wears. You will get more out of your barrel too. ;):)

3. RussellJ

RussellJ Silver $$ Contributor

+1^^^^

4. lpreddick

lpreddick Gold $$ Contributor

Zero freebore for mine.

5. 1911nut

1911nut

The SAAMI chamber dimensions include a “standard “ freebore or leade.

I don’t think swadiver wants zero freebore. He may, however, not want additional freebore since he wants to shoot flat base 52g bullets in a relatively long neck case.

If I was setting up dummies to send to Shilen for throating I would first want to decide where I want the base of the loaded bullet in the neck.
    Above the dreaded donut would be a start in the thinkin.

I bet Mike Walker and Warren Page didn’t increase freebore in their 222 chambers.

6. Rockchuck

Rockchuck Silver $$ Contributor

I just built a 222 paper puncher with with a .249 skim turn neck with lapua brass.on the freebore I went with .020 freebore if was going to do it again I would go with .010 freebore.I shot barts 52gr bullets

Zero333 likes this.
  7. swadiver

thanks much

8. swadiver

ok. 0 to 20 freebore. keeping the base of the bullet above the donut area. not sure if the donut issue applies to me, will be using a Lee collet die in conjunction with a Redding body die to size the cases. so the question in my mind remains, how much bullet in the neck?

9. 1911nut

1911nut

Swadiver,
    I didn’t get what I was after with a Redding body die for a 220 Swift. The sizing the body and bumping the shoulder never seemed to work out, you got one or the other mostly.

In several rifles I have that shoot teeney weeney groups, I got there with Full length bushing dies, bumping the shoulders 0.001-0.002” and getting whatever neck tension the voices in my head told me.

My 2¢

Rockchuck likes this.
  10. 1911nut

1911nut

Ok, I got numbers.
    I have a standard Shilen chamber with a 0.250” neck, the neck part isn’t important; the chamber isn’t throated longer.

Barts 52g bullet. 0.701”
    Lapua 222 case 1.698”
    Loaded round @ 0.010” off touch 2.216”

The bullet is in the neck 0.183”. And the gun shoots in the 1’s

11. swadiver

thank you very much. this is the kind of info i needed:)

12. swadiver

thanks. i have had great luck with body die/collet die combo in all my other calibers. i am going to give ita go with the .222 and see what happens. i will go with a Harrel's custom bushing die if necessary

13. Lucky Shooter

Lucky Shooter Gold $$ Contributor

I have some zero freebore chambers and they've given me no problems. Its convenient
    to be able to chase the throat with bullet seating instead of a partial barrel job----less
    costly----less trouble.

A. Weldy

pacificman and NorCalMikie like this.
  14. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

ZERO FREE BORE!! Start off with the lightest bullets you can get your hands on then go heavier as the throat wears and it will, but not as fast as larger calibers.
    You can always go to a longer free bore but you can't go back to zero.;)

I prefer as much bullet in the neck as I can get. I seat to the shoulder/neck junction.
    If you're shooting BT base bullets you can seat above the donut if it forms. Never had that issue because of the BT bases. Don't think I ever had donuts. Using shoulder bump bushing dies so everything stays where it is.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    pacificman likes this.
  15. velocette

velocette Silver $$ Contributor

SWAdiver, what twist are you choosing for your .222?
    I chose a 1 : 12 barrel & have been very pleased with the results.

16. swadiver

14 twist on this one

17. swadiver

so with zero freebore and 52 gr bullets , Berger or Barts, what is your overall length of a loaded round?

18. pacificman

pacificman

The COL. of your loaded round will depend on the seating depth that YOU set for best groups in YOUR rifle.
    With 52 gr. Berger bullets and zero free bore in a .222 I'll bet that the base of the bullet would still be right at or above
    shoulder /neck junction. I will also be honest and tell you I don't own a .222 but I can see that with this cartridge there
    is plenty of neck length on the brass case for a lot of life with zero free bore. My 20VT, two 20 Practicals, 22-250, 6br, three .223's,
    etc. ALL have zero free bore and I would have the chambers set up this way again if I had to do it all over. I'll get maximum life out
    of these barrels and the accuracy with these barrels is better than I am.;):) I'll also say that IMO if a bullet goes down a bit further
    in a cartridge case past the shoulder neck junction it won't affect accuracy...the only down side would be a bit less powder in the case
    as the bullet would be taking up some room being seated past the shoulder neck junction. just more info to think about.:)

swadiver likes this.
  19. redrockranger

redrockranger

I agree totally. That beautiful, slender neck on the 222 is your friend.

20. swadiver

thanks all for the input