Fireforming accuracy in 6 BRA

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by jamesdmock, Jul 7, 2018.

1. jamesdmock

jamesdmock Gold $$ Contributor

DSCF4015.JPG Actually the "BRA" to which I am referring is a 6 BRDS (made with a 6mm Norma Dasher run in short). I got it chambered Wednesday and did not have a chance to fireform brass, so I decided to go to the monthly 300 yard match and fireform the brass there. I annealed 50 rounds of Lapua brass and loaded it with 31.5 gr. of 8208 XBR and pulled 87 gr. Berger VLD bullets. I did not expect anything good except some fireformed brass. I started the match and my first 2 sighters were low and right. After a scope adjustment and a couple more sighters, I went to the record and my second shot went high and right for a nine. I did not chase that shot but continued with the same hold. That was my only round that did not score a 10......nobody was more surprised than I. The last target was plagued by terrible mirage but I got lucky and the bullets found the center. Amazing...…. James

Link, Rushty, #40Fan and 4 others like this.
  2. LA50SHOOTER

LA50SHOOTER Gold $$ Contributor

Nice Shooting at 300 there James !!

- Ron -

3. Link

Link Silver $$ Contributor

What twist? thanks

4. jamesdmock

jamesdmock Gold $$ Contributor

My equipment was a BAT model B, (with Terry Leonard stock) Brux 8 twist, 28 inches, Vortex Golden Eagle/Kelbly mounts & rings, Sinclair rest, Federal 205 primers, Berger 87 gr. hunting VLD and 31.5 gr. of IMR 8208 XBR. The barrel was chambered by my friend Murry Crowe.

Link likes this.
  5. BartsBullets

BartsBullets Gold $$ Contributor

Matt Owens Shot fire form loads at a match in Memphis 600 yards. Gun shot very well I think he came in 3rd and almost won small group.

Bart

6. Nature Boy

Nature Boy

I’m shooting my new rifle’s fire forming load for the first time in a 600 F Class match tomorrow. I’ll let you know how it does. It’s 1/4” at 100 with boring regularly so I’m hopeful

7. walker2713

walker2713 Gold $$ Contributor

I was there and had to shoot through that same mirage on the 3rd round...and it can NOT have been luck....let's call it experience, skill, aptitude, commitment....but NOT luck!

Great shooting, James!!

That's Doc Jones from Vicksburg MS on the left....who shot 286-2x with a factory 6.5 Creedmoor.

George
    IMG_1027.jpg

Nature Boy and Rushty like this.
  8. Nature Boy

Nature Boy

Shot my 6BRA for the first time in an F Class competition this weekend using my fire forming loads consisting of 105 Berger BT Target bullets, 30.0g Varget, Remington 7 1/2 primer.

25 rounds at 600, 5 sighters and 20 for record

[​IMG]

It scored a 198 x7