Fire forming new 220 to 6ppc brass help.

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by X-47B, Feb 5, 2020.

1. X-47B

X-47B X-III:XVI Gold $$ Contributor

Picked up my first 6ppc. And just 200 Lapua 220 in the mail. I have been reading many posted in fire forming. I see there is many ways to skin a cat. So what’s easiest way? Or the best way.

Here is what is off the table. I don’t want to shoot 22rds down the barrel. I don’t have excess barrels to spare at the moment and don’t want to reck the one that’s on it. I know brass service places do it and I’m sure they do a fantastic job. But I want to do this for myself at the moment to learn the process.

Correct me if I’m wrong, the last 2 methods are using shotgun powder and cream of wheat with a little paper towel? Will this hurt the barrel in any way?

Or just taking the straight brass and running a 220 to 6mm neck up mandrel and shooting??? Tho I don’t know the other processes that may be involved in this method.

That’s where I’m at, any advise is welcome.

Dan

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  2. INShooter

INShooter Gold $$ Contributor

For your situation I would recommend just necking them to 6mm and shooting them. You can get some valuable experience by doing so. It may surprise you how well they shoot.
    This is if you have a no turn chamber. If tight neck then you MUST turn necks first.
    Start with just 20 or 25 pcs.

3. J.J. Coe

J.J. Coe Silver $$ Contributor

What's the neck diameter of your chamber?

4. Rodney

Rodney Silver $$ Contributor

I'm definitely no expert at forming 6 ppc brass, but I am trying the second method you mentioned. Once I necked up to 6 mm, I turn the necks to the desired thickness. My next step is to load some powder and some cheap bullets and fire away at some targets. Like yourself I want to make my own brass. I enjoy the challenge and satisfaction when I succeed. Good luck.

Rodney

5. X-47B

.262. So I know if I ran mandrels, I’d have to do a lot of turning before firing

J.J. Coe likes this.
  6. rsmithsr50

rsmithsr50

use good bullets, and make practice out of fire forming, use a mild load first time
    consider fl sizing before necking up to 6mm

7. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Do not use cream of wheat- if you go bulletless just use wax or toilet paper plug. Firing a 22 bullet down the barrel makes better cases and puts the exact same wear on it that no bullet does. Once you shoot a while youll have the end of box random bullets you can use for fireforming to get in some good practice. They shoot exactly the same way except will be wind blown a bit more being a 6mm russian and all. With the 22 bullet it brings your necks to small 6mm size- all you have to do is barely expand and turn. Its way easier to turn them at that stage than any other

Gappmast, X-47B and Shooter13 like this.
  8. Shooter13

Shooter13 Gold $$ Contributor

Yes don't do like me, I was taught over 30 years ago (a few things have changed) to expand, turn and ff, and that is exactly what I have done for my first 100, after these are ff I'll do like Dusty suggested.

Joe Maisto and X-47B like this.
  9. Ccrider

Ccrider Gold $$ Contributor

So the 22 cal. bullet bouncing down the barrel is no worse than tissue?

10. Bruce W

Bruce W Silver $$ Contributor

How much of which powder do you use with 22 cal bullets in a 6 ppc barrel. Thanks,

11. dgeesaman

dgeesaman Gold $$ Contributor

Do you need all of the brass now?

If not, shoot them as fouling shots. I shoot about 10% of my rounds as foulers and this is enough to keep me supplied.

If I needed all of them at once I would pay DJs or someone else to hydro form them.

12. Dusty Stevens

No its not building pressure

13. Dusty Stevens

Same as you would with a 6mm bullet in an expanded 220 russian

14. Gappmast

Gappmast Gold $$ Contributor

In my opinion don't use any more of a powder charge than you would with a 6mm bullet just in in case the back of a bullet would flatten a bit and seal. A well known shooter had that happen, luckily nobody was hurt. Remember the bullets are only .019 difference in diameter

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  15. Dusty Stevens

If you use a common 6ppc powder like h322, n133, lt32 you cant get enough powder in a 220 russian case shooting a 52gr bullet thats .019 too small to ever build up any reasonably mild pressure. Remember, 99% of these cases are formed with 68gr bullets that actually seal the bore and a full case of ppc powder.

Joe Maisto likes this.
  16. Dusty Stevens

One thing i must stress- do not use pistol powder with this method!!! It will hurt you bad. No danger if following my method- cannot overpressure unless you get a squib or something

Joe Maisto and Gappmast like this.
  17. Gappmast

Gappmast Gold $$ Contributor

100% agree only use a load that would be safe shooting a 6mm bullet. No pistol powder.

18. X-47B

What is a squib?

19. Dusty Stevens

Bullet stuck in barrel. Gotta put out all disclaimers