Fiocchi 40 grain vmax 204 ammo safe?

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by mccraggen, Jun 12, 2019.

1. mccraggen

mccraggen

hey guys,

I'm a very new 204 owner (T/C venture 22 inch sporter 1-10" twist)

I have found that this rifle is very accurate with Fiocchi 40 grain ammo, but there is a little problem, sometimes the brass has slightly raised primers.
    My only concern is the ammo is too hot and or dangerous.

Anyone else had a similar experience or chronied the ammo?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. TAJ45

TAJ45 Gold $$ Contributor

Any chance of light powder charge, therefore not enough pressure to keep case head against bolt face allowing the primer to back out?
    How is velocity?

3. mccraggen

mccraggen

Its stated as 3700fps so slightly light compared to standard 3800-3900

4. lb-ft

lb-ft

Inaccurate in my Encore 204 R, but the Fiocchi primers looked just like yours.

32 gr Fiocchi fires primers exhibited same characteristics, however that ammo was quite accurate in Encore.

I’ve shot a bunch of them. Only problems are the visual characteristics.

5. TAJ45

Stated and actual.....?
    Now, ft-lb saying his is the same, scratching my head.

6. Doug30racer

Doug30racer

chamber a hair big and ammo a hair small, had this happen in a 223 with fiocchi ammo.

moorepower likes this.
  7. JSH

JSH

Buddy ran through a bunch a few weeks ago. His rifle and mine were both stock Savages. I only ran 50 through I did not notice any raised primers. He went through several hundred, all picked up I never noticed any proud primers.
    FYI we both agreed the ammo shot way above its price point.

8. moorepower

moorepower

See above

9. TAJ45

The o-size chamber had occurred to me but had not thought of slightly undersize factory brass. I had thought oversizing of brass but disregarded w it being factory ammo. I'm larnin'. ;-)

10. Doug30racer

Doug30racer

In the 223 in question, we were working on a issue of my reloads not going off every once in awhile and then some were spitting primers. No trouble in 5 other rifles, but one was having issues. borescoped it and there was 0 freebore. So it was jamming the cases in the neck and they are sticking while firing and the primer had a bit of room to move. I did not have any shells with to test but he had some factory fiocchi stuff and that is what we used and the result was the primers were bulging out. The head space was a tiny bit long but not bad. So in my conclusion is that with the 0 freebore and the shells a tiny bit small the firing pin was knocking them ahead a bit to jam and them when they went off, the primers then had a bit of room to move. I have reloaded some shells with the shoulders longer and the bullets seated a little deeper and the problem is gone. But that is just one rifle. One that i wish had never came home with me.

11. snoopy001

snoopy001

Sorry does Fiocchi .204 Ammunition??
    I never saw them at least :(