Fiocchi 223 ammo a real shooter

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by Dan Hall, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Dan Hall

Dan Hall Silver $$ Contributor

i recently bought a used Remington XP-100 with a Hart barrel and the usual accuracy enhancements. The previous owner suggested Fiocchi ammo (223 HVA50)with the 50 gr V- Max bullets as they shot well in this rig. Sure enough the gun shoots nice little 1/4” 5 shot groups with regularity. I then shot this same ammo in my Les Baer Thunder Ranch 223 and they are tack drivers in that
    Rifle as well. I have had little to no experience with Fiocchi ammo but it seems that this ammo deserves a second look if you are in the market for good 50 grain 223 loads.

6.5creed likes this.
  2. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

I had some Fiocchi .308 loaded with 168 SMK’s and it shot at least as good as Fed Gold Medal Match in several different .308’s. I was surprised as well.

3. Intell

Intell

Same here. In my AR with a rock creek 1/12 twist barrel and it can do 1/4 to 3/8 consistently. Some fluke groups even smaller. For the price I can't load my own much cheaper. I bought a bunch for prairie dogs and they worked great.

4. markT

markT Silver $$ Contributor

Where are they manufactured?

5. effendude

effendude Gold $$ Contributor

Shhhhhh.....
    One of the best bargains for prairie dogs! Can't really reload for the cost when Midway has the ammo on sale. Excellent accuracy in my AR's and bolt rifles.
    Scott

6. Jesse Gietzen

Jesse Gietzen

the fiocchi 50 vmax and the federal 50 ballistic tip both shoot lights out in my 1:9 ar. the federal is cheaper if you can find it on sale, but the fiocchi commonly goes for about .50/rd. not horrible.

7. dgeesaman

dgeesaman

I tested a few factory loads in a Cooper 21 .222 and Fiocchi was the best. So this is not surprising.

8. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

Missouri or Italy.

9. Geno C

Geno C

My Sako 75 loves the 50vmax. I bought a cart load a few years ago from cabelas when it was on a crazy sale. I tried decapping the brass to reload, the flash holes were so far off center I couldn't believe it!!

10. brainiac

brainiac

Wow. I was buying ammo boxes, 4 of them, with 200 rounds of this in them for $99.00 when stuff was hard to get. Haven't shot a single round of it. Just have it put up. May have to dig one out and give it a whirl.

11. Dan Hall

Dan Hall Silver $$ Contributor

I just tried some more of the Fiocchi 50 gr loads in my Les Baer Thunder Ranch AR and it shoots better than the 77 grain Federal Match King loads that the gun was built to shoot. What’s up with this ammo? Will everyone please keep us all in the know when this stuff, the 50 grain V-Max stuff, is up for sale at various venders.

12. daniel brothers

daniel brothers

I love them... and cabelas has them on sale now for 22.99 for 50 rds.

13. BleedsBlue

BleedsBlue

It is on sale at midway right now.

Anyone near southeastern Indiana that needs some i have a thousand rounds or so that I would let go of

Mark W likes this.
  14. Mark W

Mark W Silver $$ Contributor

I’ve bought this ammo from Academy, Cabellas, and Midway. It has shot well for me in two rifles and exceptionally well in another. Needless to say, I keep plenty on hand.

15. chop house

chop house

i have shot, played around with, and measured this ammo over the last year plus. the first thing i noticed was good groups (100 yards). second was that they were at least 200 fps slower than fiocchi claimed even when shot in 26" bolt gun. in a carbine length AR expect something in the 2900's. third was really large ES (over 100 fps) which i imagine would impact long range accuracy (i can't get beyond 200 at my range).

we have used a pile of it in dogtowns, and i do reload the brass, decapping by hand.

to this day, if i have a .223 not 'acting right' i go back to this at 100 yards for my 'reference' load.

16. Mark W

Mark W Silver $$ Contributor

I checked my chrono records and my 18” barreled AR averages 3025 with an SD of 45 shooting this ammo. My CZ 527 Varmint averaged 3233 FPS with an SD of 30.7. These numbers were averaged from three 5 shot groups in each rifle so it wasn’t a large sample size.