Finding your lands (video)

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Alex Wheeler, Jan 9, 2016.

1. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

F. Guffy

As often as you tell us all here how you do it, why don't you create your own thread (like Alex did) and put up a video (or pictures) explaining your method !.!.!
    Then it wouldn't take "months of responses to get to the point".
    After all, video's and/or pictures "speak a 1000 words".

Maybe just me here, but I for one would like to see your methods, because your written descriptions confuse me, and betting pictures and/or video would explain your methods better.

And you wouldn't have to hi-jack others threads, with your opposing methods....
    Just a suggestion,
    Donovan

2. fguffey

fguffey

It was not my intension to upset you, after all I was told everyone had moved on to more sophisticated methods and techniques. And then I said I disagree. And then you proved my point.

As Koch said to Kirtzmen:

I can explain this to you.

I can not comprehend it for you.

3. dmoran

dmoran Gold $$ Contributor

You didn't upset me......
    And seriously suggesting you do create a thread, describing your method !.!.!
    I would really like to see it !.!.!

I do think your hi-jacking this thread repeatedly now, but happens a lot on forums (guilty of it myself).
    Donovan

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    47WillysGuy likes this.
  4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

5. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

You know what they say Dusty, "IF you don't like washing dishes, don't get good at washing dishes".

If you're not careful, you might get the "translate Larry" job!:D

Tom

LRPV, dmoran and dkhunt14 like this.
  6. boiler_house7

boiler_house7

Very good videos and well thought out. You saved a lot of reloaders a lot of headaches and a lot of time and money. I guess it made me feel good i was spot on with exactly how you bump your brass. .002 from touch figure close to .001 with spring back. My ole buddy lynnwood harrel gave me a schooling on the OD sizing of brass. I recommend everyone get a cup of coffee and give lynnwood a call if he ain't busy he'll tell ya about his dasher dies and a few other things. excellent product and no better people. More than likely he will send ya several dies and see which one works best for your chamber and send rest back. Bill

7. fguffey

fguffey

I have done that, it never works out on a reloading forum, Seems there is not enough space and or time to convince someone it can be done.

F. Guffey

8. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

F. Guffey in case you don't know this is called 6BR. It stands for Bench Rest. In case you don't understand this. It is for precision reloading of cartridges for accuracy. Times and equipment have changed since the 50's and targets have proven it. If your method works for you, FINE.

Just because you don't agree with others.
    You should do like Donovan says and show us. Make a video and start your own thread. What ALEX did and showed here is great and will save a lot of people time and money. I read your posts over and over and they all say the same thing. I sometimes don't understand what you are saying or trying to say. Matt

6MMsteve, dmoran and tom like this.
  9. iluvguns

iluvguns

thanks for the awesome video and sorry for bumping an old post, but just a quick question.

couldnt you combine this method with marking the bullet with a sharpie, and once the lands marks go away you know your done? that way you dont have to "feel" for the slight click

10. Phil

Phil Gold $$ Contributor

The feel is going to be better than the marker, in my opinion.

Thanks Alex, I watched all your video`s on your web page, must have missed this thread somehow.....:confused:

Phil.

11. iluvguns

iluvguns

Why is that?

12. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

Guess I'll add a firing pin removal tool to my order from Sinclair and try this. I am using the Hornady tool on my new "wildcat" and was having some problems finding the lands. Hopefully this will help me.

13. fguffey

fguffey

I have the Hornady tool, I do not use it but I have it JIC. I do not remove the firing pin, it is like using head space gage, I do not fire head space gages and that brings us to the firing pin; I do not fire rifles without firing pins I fire with firing pins so I leave the firing pin in the bolt. That brings us to the bullet hold, I want all the bullet hold I can get; all the bullet hold I can get allows me to use the case with bullet to set up the seating die.

F. Guffey

14. JRS

JRS

Maybe a stupid question, but is it really necessary to remove the firing pin if using an unprimed case to find a seating depth?

15. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

You remove the firing pin so you can feel the bullet stick in the lands. This method will only work with pin removed. Some guys color the bullet when doing this to see the marks disappear as well. When the mark disappear you will no longer get the click, I find it quicker and more reliable to go by the click.

dmoran likes this.
  16. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

Removing the firing pin is not so the pin will not 'touch the base' of the case'primer...it is to remove the cocking resistance that the fire control mechanism produces that will alter the feel of the bullet engaging the lands.

17. fguffey

fguffey

At about that point it starts to make no sense, shred the neck of the case to reduce bullet hold and then remove the firing pin. I want all the bullet hold I can get. If you have a safety on the bolt; use it.

F. Guffey

18. LHSmith

LHSmith

Safety on bolts are typically found on military actions. FWIW most competition BR guns have NO safety whatsoever. Re: bullet hold- -by truing the necks and using bushing dies one has another means to fine tune a load. Assuming you understand "tuning". In shortrange BR, targets are measured to the 0.0001" in group shooting, in score shooting obliterating a 1/16 moa dot 25 times out of 25 targets for record is the ultimate goal. Needless to say we must aim and shoot small.....extremely small and turned necks are absolutely required to get there. If you think otherwise, come out to a match and prove your point.

19. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

You guys have lost me, bullet hold doesnt matter for this method. We are not trying to find jam, only touch.

6MMsteve likes this.
  20. LHSmith

LHSmith

Sorry, I just couldn't take another " I want all the bullet hold I can get" 4x in one thread pushed me over the edge. He must think were hard of hearing or something.