Filling magazine well with lead shot

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Pigdog, Sep 6, 2017.

1. gotcha

gotcha

Joshb has it right! The closer to the butt the better. ............ Adding weight to the mag well or (worse yet) the fore-end may cause your rifle to be sensitive to throwing shots either right or left randomly as the rifle recoils if your shoulder isn't perfectly square to the rifle on a consistent basis. .............. You'll be better off to drill into the butt with a spade bit and pour in shot then replace the butt pad. Speaking from experience here ;) ....................... I wonder if anyone has ever made a plaster of Paris mold of a butt pad and poured lead into it then drilled it and re-attached to rifle ????????????

Cloudrepair and joshb like this.
  2. NorCalMikie

NorCalMikie Gold $$ Contributor

A "solid bar" will be heavier than loose shot. Zip Lock works OK but make sure it's sealed real good or you'll end up with shot coming out when you least expect it. Add it, pack it and tape it. About the only thing you'll get by adding weight to the mag well is a heavier rifle.

3. ragsflh

ragsflh Silver $$ Contributor

use shot in stocks for my wife,take some the kick out.filling mag well just make rifle not shoot and add weight to it

4. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Now that's cookin with bottled water! What a great idea! I was "pondering" this, too. Get some sheet lead from a plumbing supply store. The stuff they use for shower pans. You could cut any pattern you want and as many layers as you need and form it over your butt. Get your wife to sew you a nice felt pouch/cover for it, with straps of Velcro. Dang, this is starting to sound like a "business opportunity " for some body! I should patent this idea!:D:eek::eek::eek: Woohoo!!

gotcha likes this.
  5. gotcha

gotcha

LOL, I use wheel weights and about 50% Linotype making wad cutters for my .45ACP. Load shoot into tree, pry out with a pocket knife, load shoot into tree.... repeat. The added linotype resists discoloration and can be polished to a high gloss, or not if so desired. Maybe I could get my wife to make a Doily "jock strap" to hold it in place..................... Too late Josh. !!! I've already got a patent :p

6. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

But the lead shot in the mag well idea can be tried easily enough, and abandoned as easily if it's not satisfactory. OP said he loathes drilling out the fine wood stock if he can avoid it. Perhaps he can. (I'd avoid the epoxy, just use shot in a bag for the trial run.)
    -

gotcha likes this.
  7. joshb

I agree. I'm just working on Plan B. Ya always need a Plan B!;)

8. Richard Jones

Richard Jones just glad to be here Gold $$ Contributor

Don't laugh, I've done that..............

gotcha likes this.
  9. Ray B

Ray B

To add weight to a M70 Alaskan 338 I routed out a groove in the barrel channel of the forend between the recoil lug and the barrel screw. Then poured molten lead to just below barrel level. then MicroBed'd the stock. Added 12 ounces to the stock which doesn't seem like much but it added significantly to stability in aiming and reduced recovery time. I add weight to the magazine well by placing four loaded cartridges in it prior to firing.

10. Pigdog

Pigdog

So I decided to go upper class and ordered a Davidson single shot ramp from Sinclair. At this stage I plan to jb weld that in and fill with lead shot. Adding weight to the rifle won't hurt it only weighs 11.5lbs ATM.

Ideally i would like to fill it with a solid block of lead I could get a mould of the magazine well by stuffing with play dough but then I would need to somehow make a mould of that shape that I could pour melted lead into and I don't know how to make a mould short of getting someone to weld one up to that exact shape it's a lot simpler to just pour in lead shot.

I will look into adding weight via the pouch at the rear as well that's a great idea. When you guys are suggesting mixing expoxy in a slurry with the lead shot I only have jb weld this would be a bit thick to do that wouldn't it ??

11. Cloudrepair

Cloudrepair

Or maybe a lead or copper extention plate between the recoil pad and stock?

gotcha likes this.
  12. joshb

Epoxy: the slow cure 2 part sold as a double syringe in hardware stores is good.
    I make molds for lead pours out of plaster of Paris. Use an old Tupperware container of appropriate size. Pour in the plaster, then put in your play dough fast before it gets stiff. Leave the play dough level with the top of your plaster. Remove the dough after plaster hardens. Let the mold dry overnight before pouring the lead or the epoxy and shot mix. Break the mold when cool/cured with a hammer.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  13. 243winxb

243winxb

Cut the barrel off.:cool:

tmwinds likes this.
  14. Nature Boy

Nature Boy

15. Pigdog

Pigdog

Thanks everyone I think I have enough ideas to work with. Josh b the plaster Paris idea is fantastic once the Davidson ramp arrives I will give that a shot to make a mould to try do one solid piece

gotcha likes this.
  16. gotcha

gotcha

Let us know how this all works out Mr. Pigdog. I can't wait to get started on chapter 2 of your project :eek:

joshb likes this.
  17. Intheshop

Intheshop

We use RTV for bow stabilizers.....threaded,knurled rod gets RTV'd into a bored weight.It's the "action" of the weight suspended on the shaft that damps recoil.May work in weighting rifle stocks?It definitely works on bows,it's been around as long as RTV (room temperature vulcanized).

And we have epoxy by the G's......

18. Pigdog

Pigdog

Hey mate part 2 is already in progress, looking for some 20mm or so solid steel bar, going to cut this to the length of the rear stock section and screw it into the rear sling attatchment and JB weld it along the stock. Save me drilling into the stock and will get some extra weight down the back.

gotcha likes this.
  19. rvn1968

rvn1968 Gold $$ Contributor

Joshb is right on,but,if you want to fill the mag well,put a piece of an old tee-shirt in the well,fill with shot and pour in molten wax,,if it doesn't work,pull it right out.