Filling magazine well with lead shot

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Pigdog, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Pigdog

Pigdog

hey guys thought I'd run this idea by the forum to get some thoughts. My rifle is a bit front heavy I don't want to drill the butt stock too add weight as it is a very nice carbon fibre stock. I use the gun as a single shot it does however have an unused magazine. I'm thinking of filling this magazine well to both add weight to gun and move the balance
    Point back a little. My concern is I don't want lead shot floating freely around in the magazine well. Anyone got an idea of like some sort of bag or plastic that I could put lead shot in and then put that in the magazine well so all the lead shot is contained and could be taken out if needed??

2. M-61

M-61 "Quis Separabit" Silver $$ Contributor

No idea what you have.....but why not fill an emptied magazine and fill that with shot. You could always pour some epoxy over or in it to secure the shot. Or glue the feed ramp on top of the glued shot and use it as a feed ramp for your single shot use.

3. Pigdog

Pigdog

its not a detachable mag its a remington standard internal mag but you have given me a good idea about using the feed ramp for a single shot, i was even thinking of somehow making a mould of the internal magazine and melting some lead to make one solid piece to slide in there. Not sure how i could make a mould of the internal mag though might have to get creative

4. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

dump in the bb's add epoxy, set the follower. Redneck engineering at its finest. Dremel it out if you don't like it...

6MMsteve likes this.
  5. Medic505

Medic505 Dean Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

RTV and Duct Tape

6. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

How about setting a zip lock bag in the void and fill it up with shot. Then squirt some Elmers wood glue on top to keep them to gather and seal up the bag. If you want to remove it later it should be a snap.

7. nicholst55

nicholst55 Brass Whore

I did something similar with a Rem 700 ADL in the Tupperware stock once. It was a .300 WinMag and beat the snot out of me every time I fired it. I put a layer of loose shot in the (hollow) barrel channel and poured hot wax over it. It helped quite a bit, but I later sold the rifle, anyway.

8. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

That "wax" idea is a good one. Easy to change if it doesn't work like you hoped.:)

9. Sniper338

Sniper338 Silver $$ Contributor

Red neck engineering way: Id get a single shot floor plate, install it into the action, use JB weld in all four corners, that seals up the working part in the action, makes it single shot.

Turn the gun upside down take off the floor plate, hot glue in a clothe patch to the bottom of the receiver/floor plate, seal it up from the bottom, and keeps any lead dust from getting into the action...

Then Id melt lead into a block and trim it up to fit into the mag well as one piece, and hot glue it in so it dont rattle or move. Put the floor plate back on...

10. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

wow, that is way more thinking than the rednecks round here!

11. Sniper338

Sniper338 Silver $$ Contributor

I gots a degree in redneck engineering.

12. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

Why not pour the molten lead directly into the mag well? Wait ...
    -

300_whisper likes this.
  13. 6MMsteve

6MMsteve Gold $$ Contributor

I put a pc of .045 metal in my savage for a ramp it works great and it can't move once you put the stock on. Maybe you can just use a thin pc of metal on yours also or buy a follower the thin metal will work though, and I would just epoxy the shot in there and you can dremel it out later. by using epoxy you can get maximum shot in your mag well, but make sure you wax the sides of the well and bottom so the epoxy does not stick to the stock, make a slurry and pour it in, first put the shot in for a test amount and level then use the same shot with slurry, the slurry should fill the voids between the shot for an even fill I think lol

Sniper338 likes this.
  14. Pigdog

Pigdog

hahaha this thread is pure gold and don't worry I prolly can trump yall with redneck engineering I would be at masters level with redneck engineering lol. Some great ideas there I think i will cut a piece of alloy or steel out like someone suggested use jb weld to secure it at the top so no lead shot can get into the action then pour in the lead shot and close the floor plate.

What is this hot glue and patch method I dunno bout that? Is there a special cloth for that ? what sorta glue?

15. KMart

KMart Gold $$ Contributor

The glue is the same type of hot glue you use to replace the guide eye on your fishing rod when you break the tip off.
    The glue comes in 4-6 inch lengths and fits into an electric heated "gun". You can pick them up at WalMart, Hobby Lobby, or Michaels. Your wife may already have one around the house.
    Warning: Stay out of Hobby Lobby, and Michaels as much as you can. If you stay there too long, you are subject to start scrap booking and home decorating.

snert likes this.
  16. geraldgee

geraldgee Silver $$ Contributor

Right up front - I have never done anything quite like what you are planning.
    But - I am wondering just how much would be gained by adding weight so close to the center of balance. To take full advantage of any added weight, would it not be better to add something to the butt of the stock?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Gerald

rayjay and gotcha like this.
  17. CharlieNC

CharlieNC

I've used silicone sealer; glues the shot in place well and could be pulled out if necessary.

LarryDScott likes this.
  18. alf

alf Silver $$ Contributor

Here's what I did......

Take a piece of saran wrap, give it a coat of wax, set it in the mag well, and fill the mag well with a mix of #9 lead shot and two part epoxy to just below the action line. Once set up, remove from the stock, take off the saran wrap, set back in the mag well, top off the lead block with modeling clay to fill in the gap, set a single shot follower on top of the clay and bolt it together. Might take a couple three tries to get the right amount of clay.

The saran wrap gives just enough clearance to the lead block to easily take it in and out, w/o any slop issues from recoil.

19. dsbur

dsbur

plumber's lead wool with an aluminum foil wrap. Single shot follower under tension with the magazine spring. Worked for me.

20. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Get yourself one of those "strap on " cheek rest/shell holders. Slice it open and fill that with lead shot. Sew it back together. Voila!

snert, geraldgee and gotcha like this.