FFL in Alabama

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by carlsbad, Mar 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Try this again. Is there an FFL in Alabama on the forum. If so, please contact me via PM. thanks.

2. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Mark W likes this.
  3. carlsbad

I didn't see any answers to my previous thread since it got deleted. It appears everyone is assuming I want to cut some corners. I do not.

I am sure that it is legal for this guy to buy this gun from me. I have bought guns from out of state and a lot of people here have too. I think it will involve shipping to an FFL in AL but I want to get it right.

--Jerry

338 dude and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  4. dsculley

dsculley

Call Mac's Gun Bench, Orange Beach AL 251.974.3224. He should be able to answer your question.

5. carlsbad

Mike,
    When I go into my FFL to pick up my action that I bought from Pennsylvania, the forms I fill out are CA forms....so I don't know what the federal forms look like. Or does each state, even AL, have their own forms?

I'm trying to figure out what the FFL in AL does after he gets the gun, thus I'm looking for an FFL in AL.

thanks,
    Jerry

338 dude likes this.
  6. tmwinds

tmwinds Gold $$ Contributor

The Federal form is the same in every state. There is no state form or other requirements in Alabama. It's pretty simple in Alabama. You send the gun to the FFL in Alabama, they complete the transaction per the Federal ATF requirements and deliver the gun to the buyer. Done deal. No state or local requirements or waiting like in CA.

7. carlsbad

Does the federal form require a thumbprint or is that just CA?

Like I said, I fill out CA paperwork which likely exceeds the Federal paperwork. I guess I'm lucky they don't make me fill out both.

--Jerry

338 dude likes this.
  8. tmwinds

Nothing required in Alabama. The state has no involvement in the transaction.

9. carlsbad

Is the federal form on the atf website somewhere? thanks.

10. hoz53

hoz53

like tailwinds said have your ffl ship the gun to the ffl in Al. the buyer will fill out the federal form and the ffl will do a NICs check on him. if it goes through the buyer can take the gun. One other thing you prob know for handguns its very expensive to ship for an individual so have an ffl do it and its normal ups fees. you must be filling out a fed. form in CA- you have to do that in every state. Federal law says you can ship the firearm to an ffl in the other state without going through an ffl on your end. i dont know what CA says but if i lived there id use an ffl. your dealer can tell u about that.

tmwinds and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  11. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Yes, he can buy it from you but it'll have to be sent to and transferred by an ffl in his state of residence. So you'll need to communicate with his ffl of choice in Alabama. You can ask him any questions you might have and that's a good idea, as some won't ship or receive from California and can make their own policies in that regard. I didn't think you were looking to cut any corners, Jerry. I think you just want to know how to do it within the law, and I expected nothing less.

12. tmwinds

It's form 4473. Just google atf form 4473. This is the form that the buyer will complete and sign prior to the transfer of the firearm. One other thing I would mention, before shipping the firearm I would verify that the FFL is legitimate. You can do this by going to the ATF EZ Check website after the FFL furnishes you the necessary information. The FFL will probably also ask you to send him a valid copy of your drivers licenses.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  13. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

All FFL forms are the same, The DROS paperwork is all pretty much the same also. You must pretty well ship and do the paperwork with a dealers with FFL lic and he takes care of the necessary paperwork, your fill out, sign and he submits to the state governments, and then if there is a waiting period you wait to pick up the firearm. Very few exceptions to the procedure.

14. carlsbad

Thanks. that answers my questions.

338 dude and tmwinds like this.
  15. carlsbad

Thanks guys. I'm sure I seem like an idiot to some of you but because CA has requirements above and beyond form 4473 referenced above, it wasn't clear to me what the federal requirements are in other states.

338 dude, tmwinds, Mark W and 2 others like this.
  16. wedgy

wedgy Gold $$ Contributor

338 dude likes this.
  17. 338 dude

338 dude Gold $$ Contributor

No thumbprint in Tennessee I don’t ever remember doing that

18. ttfreestyle

ttfreestyle Gold $$ Contributor

Years ago we had to do prints in TN and get the sheriff to sign off. Late 80’s early 90’s if I recall correctly.

19. 338 dude

338 dude Gold $$ Contributor

Only time I’ve been printed in the last 16 years is for a cc permit And I suppressor which I’m still waiting on but we won’t get into that

20. hoz53

hoz53

the ffl that you transfer the gun to and who transfers it to the buyer furnishes the 4473. if you go through an ffl in CA you dont have to do any paperwork inless its something special to california- the ffl just enters it in his book and transfers it back out to the other ffl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.