Feral pigs

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by jimcasey01, Aug 25, 2019.

1. jimcasey01

jimcasey01

I could use some help. Recently, a property that I have has become overrun with feral pigs. They have ruined a few months of work in landscaping that was just completed. I purchased a trap and baited it, and have gotten 4 of the buggers in the last two days. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am a novice at this. All I really know is that they are hard to kill and very destructive.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  2. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man

And very prolific. One sow will have a litter every 8 weeks.

Good luck.

3. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

@pirate ammo
    Capt Dan is a fine killer of them pesky SOBS maybe he can help ya out with some good information

4. Torg

Torg

5. Pres100

Pres100

The best advice I can give is talk to the pros - highly recommend the guys at https://jagerpro.com/ while they sell traps, hunt them, etc., they have arguably the most experience an knowledge regarding animal behavior and proven capture success of anyone.
    Education is the best place to start and these guys love to help out. First class guys and world class shooters as well - all ex-AMU guys

jimcasey01 and hpshooter like this.
  6. WyleWD

WyleWD Gold $$ Contributor

Some suggestions. Shoot them, and invite hunters and friends you trust to hunt and hunt them often. Focus on shooting the sows first. Offer a bounty. Find out what all they are eating and take away that food sourse. (unless it's snakes). JMHO. WD

KMart and jimcasey01 like this.
  7. Rube Shooter

Rube Shooter Gold $$ Contributor

Shooting works well if allowed. Traps only work for a little while, wild pigs will learn not to go in them after they see their comrades getting trapped.
    Follow SPJ's advice and contact Dan @pirate ammo

jimcasey01 likes this.
  8. Rdlningcltchdmpr

Rdlningcltchdmpr Silver $$ Contributor

Where is your place? Maybe i could come there and blast them to smithereens with my rifle ! I am an accomplished marksman and hunter. If you're location allows it , i am sure other hunters would help as well if you want to let them come and hunt.

9. tmwinds

tmwinds Gold $$ Contributor

Feral pigs can have 2 litters per year. Anywhere from 1 to 10 piglets.

10. pirate ammo

pirate ammo Guaranteed to take the wind out of their sails Gold $$ Contributor

personally I think it's more than that, never ending supply.

WyleWD likes this.
  11. tmwinds

I think the published info concerning 2 litters per year is correct. The kicker is, that left uncontrolled and considering the number in a litter and the early age they can reproduce, in a couple of years they could cover the earth. They are like rats.

jimcasey01, pirate ammo and SPJ like this.
  12. pirate ammo

My biggest problem is that I don't believe everything I read or see on the nightly news "FAKE NEWS". You could be absolutely right, but I do know them young ones breed fast.
    It seems like we bred them faster then that when I was growing up, but we're all older now and the mind slips.:rolleyes:

jimcasey01 and tmwinds like this.
  13. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

They are worse than rats, they have rat poison. You can hit pigs hard, and they come back - smarter.

tmwinds and pirate ammo like this.
  14. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Silver $$ Contributor

Large trap enclosures, TV camera, remote control, lots of corn. It will take an investment, but it will pay off in spades. Feed them for a while,let them get used to coming into the enclosure, then close the door remotely when you have all in the trap that you feel are coming to the area. 22 long rifle with cci velocitors kill very effectively. You can find feed stores that sell loose corn by the ton...will take some hunting to find them. You can buy 55 gallon large plastic drums for $20 in many areas, fill your truck up.

You probably have a deer processor near you that will butcher and hang hogs. Sausage from the butcher is excellent as they can control how lean it is, and the amount of spices. Often, the butcher will give you a choice on the kind and amount of spice. Jerky from the pork is simply out of this world. Butchers that are set up to make jerky will offer many different kinds of jerky options.

Piglets cooked in Turkey cooking bags at 350*, 30 minutes per pound is world class eating, let it brown for the last 45 minutes.

Remember this, those 50-75 lb pigs are some serious good eating, also. Wear gloves when you handle pig blood.

15. pirate ammo

Really good when you BBQ them whole. They got traps that DROP via I-Phone app thing, watch them gather up and drop with a simple push of a button,,not cheap.

16. Pres100

Pres100

I believe they can also have litters at an astoundingly young age which compounds the growth issue.

tmwinds likes this.
  17. SPJ

SPJ Gold $$ Contributor

Think Claymore

18. tmwinds

Exactly, I think somewhere around 8 months if I remember correctly.

19. JoeMcNeill

JoeMcNeill Silver $$ Contributor

I would think the first place to try is your local DNR agent. He is probably already involved with your
    pig problem. You may have some neighbors with the same issue and a common trap moved around
    by the DNR or at least with their input would go a long way to stop the problem. I doubt that shooting
    them is the only answer or would eliminate the pigs. They are smart and don't make the same mistakes
    very often. If trapped in an area and escape they don't come back to a trap.
    Good luck

Joe McNeill
    SW Arkansas

jimcasey01 likes this.
  20. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

Hogs are simply like an old guy in Texas described coyotes. Once you have them, you always have them. You kill the stupid ones and the smart ones reproduce, with larger litters because the initially reduced population means more food, better health. The guy I work for owns around 8000 acres between two rivers. They trap them, shoot them from helicopters, catch them with dogs, and shoot them out of deer stands. His neighbor hunts them with thermal. In fact, I mentioned in another thread they shut the gate on a fenced in dove field last Jan. and killed all that were in it - 41.

They still have hogs. Abundantly.

Another guy I worked for had about 8000 acres on the Savannah River (Kenny Jarrett inherited it from the guy, his uncle). They were bad there too and rooted up the crops he planted. One year he fed them some waste oats cleaned out of a grain bin to keep them concentrated away from his fields, with orders not to disturb them. After backing the pickup in to dump the oats for a week or so, they would run right by with no fear to get the oats. They were so close I could have touched them with a walking cane.

Pretty interesting, because I don't remember them being around or talked about when I started hunting as a kid.