Feeling guilty......

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Mtstalker, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Mtstalker

Mtstalker

So i always clean my guns after a day at the range. Well my 260 remington has been shooting good and i keep putting cleaning the barrel off. Looked today and im at 220 rounds since the last cleaning Oops! But at the same time it did shoot a 5rd group of 2.5" at 500 yesterday off a bipod. Should i clean it or should i keep going?

2. mongo chicago

mongo chicago

Clean it. It will help you sleep better.

3. dsculley

dsculley

Why clean it if it is shooting well? Today's primers and powder are not corrosive. There are more barrels ruined by improper cleaning than by being shot dirty.

4. Sniper338

Sniper338 Silver $$ Contributor

Im on this boat. I think too many people clean way too much. I shoot until accuracy starts going, then clean. Theres a point were a barrel plateaus and shoots well for a while..

saw-tooth-jimmy likes this.
  5. group therapy

group therapy Silver $$ Contributor

I coat my bullets with hbn and have over 400 rnds without cleaning. last match at 600 meters I had 4 shots inside 3/4". feel like its time to clean BUUUUTTTTT!!!

6. Mtstalker

Mtstalker

Im shooting naked bullets. Ill keep going and see how long this lasts.

7. Riesel

Riesel Gold $$ Contributor

It'll probably let you know when it needs cleaning and hopefully, not at the worst possible time. There, that ought to keep you up at night!:rolleyes:

C.E.Smith043, joshb and FatBoy like this.
  8. Downhill

Downhill

When I shot Service Rifle Comps we might hit 2 matches a weekend. Between matches and practice sometimes we would have 180 to 240 rounds fired. Didn't clean until we got home on Sunday evenings.

9. Mtstalker

Mtstalker

Lol oh now you got me on the fence......

Riesel likes this.
  10. bluealtered

bluealtered

Old time savage shooters like me learned very early that after that savage barrel was broken in that you didn't clean it until the groups started to fall off. Of course anyone who has looked down the factory barrel of a savage didn't have worry about sleeping anyway, the nightmares took care of that!

boltfluter, C.E.Smith043 and eric n like this.
  11. VaRandy

VaRandy Silver $$ Contributor

Now is a great time to clean it and return in same conditions to compare. It may have been shooting well and end up shooting GREAT!

Joe R likes this.
  12. dsculley

dsculley

Riesel said:
    It'll probably let you know when it needs cleaning and hopefully, not at the worst possible time. There, that ought to keep you up at night!:rolleyes:

Now that is like telling someone that the mosquitoes they hear at night are male mosquitoes and they don't bite, so as long as you hear a mosquito you have nothing to worry about, just go on to sleep. But, if you don't hear one.......................

13. Eraser

Eraser Silver $$ Contributor

I have read many times about not cleaning and waiting for accuracy to fall of and then clean.
    Isn't that what causes the "dreaded carbon ring", waiting to long to clean?

14. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

I like to know when I should expect my accuracy to fall off. So that way I can clean it before I hit that number. But I don't go crazy with the cleaning. I don't make the barrel spotless.

15. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Gold $$ Contributor

A freind had a model 700 in .270 win without being cleaned from 1973 when he bought it as a young man. Now he always kept it in a dry clean room and oiled it a little over the years. He asked me to clean so I jumped at the chance as he let me hunt his property. Took it home and looked inside with just my eyes and oh my goodness it looked like a creekbed. So I started with sweets 7.62 and went through about 5 heavy cleanings and finished up with Iosso. Washed the barrel and action in a parts washer with nice clean solvent. Oiled it up lightly and washed the trigger with lighter fluid. I put it back in the stock and loaded some reasonable rounds and at 100 yds which isnt far it shot a hole about the size of maybe 1/2 inch for 5 rounds. I thought it was a fluke. I shot another string and got the same results off a good rest by the way. I oiled it lightly and gave it back. The real reason he wanted it cleaned is because after 29 years accuracy was failing. He took it out after I left and shot it, he was tickled because now it actually shot a little better than new.

16. SSL

SSL

20170615_113047_crop_582x642.jpg Probably of more importance is cleaning properly. I bought a Ruger #1B for $250 from a guy who admitted that it only managed 4" groups even though he cleaned it after every use.
    He was right, until I spent several days with 7.65, Butch's and a bit of J&B, and did a couple accuracy tricks. I now only clean it thoroughly when accuracy starts to slip, just run a brush and dry patch after shooting.

17. jepp2

jepp2 Silver $$ Contributor

I often hear this quoted, but have yet to see any real hard evidence to support it. And if it is the case, the person would be better off to never clean their barrel, because they are going to ruin it.

I'm a firm believer in properly cleaning your bore at specified frequency. I clean after 50 rounds, but don't try to remove all the copper. At 200 rounds, I remove all the copper. So when I am in the field PD hunting, I clean every 50 rounds. After cleaning, it takes maybe 2 shots to settle in. I've looked at a lot of bores with my Hawkeye.

So my suggestion to others is get the proper equipment to clean without doing damage, and clean when you like.

18. Rsadams

Rsadams

I just clean mine , to each his own.. I clean and oil the barrels before putting them in the safe.. I just run a dry patch or two down the barrel before shooting again.. I am sure it is possible to damage a gun by cleaning it but I have seen alot of rusty barrels also.. I have cleaned mine after shooting for my whole life and don't see a problem.. but I also don't go crazy with a steel cleaning rod either.. pushing a rod down it at the speed of smell seems a lot easier on it than a bullet..

I do live in a bad humidity area so anything steel stays oiled or greased.. Some of my guns were my grandfather's and altho he took care of them none of these new fangled rods or bore guides , super oils or cleaning supplies were around and they still shoot great after 40 or 50 years... He would run a wet patch then brush then wet patch till clean then one more oily patch before he put them in his gun cabinet , hell alot of the time he would spray wd40 on them and wipe them down...lol they still look and shoot great.. I will admit he didn't target shoot he was a hunter , he said he shot enough in WW2 for a lifetime of practice...

19. 4xforfun

4xforfun Gold $$ Contributor

That would be great, but was it a four-shot group with four shots fired, or is there a v shot that we just don't want to talk about

20. CaptainMal

CaptainMal Silver $$ Contributor

If you do not clean after shooting, our Florida humidity will make barrels look like sandpaper inside.

Comrade Terry likes this.