• This Forum is for adults 18 years of age or over. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming that you are 18 or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.
BulletCentral.com
Midsouth Shooters
Grafs.com Shooting Products
EuroOptic.com Scopes, Rifles, Accessories
Bruno Shooters Supply

Feed solutions for the Hornady 6.5 PRC

wboggs

Gold $$ Contributor
Shooters starting to build rifles for the new Hornady 6.5 PRC are frequently reporting feeding and magazine malfunctions. Has anyone encountered this problem and devised a solution?
Thanks
Bill Boggs

Start with an action that is made for WSM's or RSAUM's for box mag fed rifles. Even then it can be tricky getting a fat case to feed in that short a distance. Single stack mags are the only sure thing.

Start with an action that is made for WSM's or RSAUM's for box mag fed rifles. Even then it can be tricky getting a fat case to feed in that short a distance. Single stack mags are the only sure thing.
Sir
Which single stack magazines will work? What is your recommendation for a magazine to be used in a LA where the oal of the cartridge is over 3"?
Finally, are you interested in working on a solution to this problem?
Thank you
Bill Boggs

I built a 6.5 saum on a Rem700 LA action, I had to slightly open the feed rails on the magnum action for the fatter case to feed, but all I used was a regular rem700 RUM box with the windows cut in it. I didn't have any feeding issues with mine.

I built a 6.5 saum on a Rem700 LA action, I had to slightly open the feed rails on the magnum action for the fatter case to feed, but all I used was a regular rem700 RUM box with the windows cut in it. I didn't have any feeding issues with mine.
Thank you. That might also work for my PRC.
I loaded some dummy rounds to 2.86 overall and they fed through the box magazine on my m700 sa 300 wsm. I think I will acquire an RUM box and adjust the rails. Did you use the standard mag follower?
I will continue to look for a single stack magazine and bottom metal but your solution is inexpensive. This will be a fun rifle for me. LR steel and targets, no matches.
With my 30" barrel and long overall length, I can get an easy 3100 from the 150 smk, 3200 from 140s, and those are conservative loads. Barrel burners will.exceed that by 100 fps.
How do.you like your 6.5 saum? Powder capacify is about 4gr more than the prc.
Thanks again.
Bill

You say in the other 6.5 PRC thread you want to use a LA. I've used AI/Accurate 300WM mags to feed RSUAM's in a LA so I don't know why you wouldn't be able to get a PRC to function in one. I can get a PRC to function fine out of Accurate 300WSM mags in a short action. I can get RSUAM's to function in the same as well. RSUAM's are a bigger problem to get to feed out of box magazines. Some work fairly easy and some take a bunch of fiddling with. I'm sure I can get a PRC to function in a box easier than a RSUAM but haven't tried yet. Part of George Gardner's initial motivation for the PRC type case was just that, RSUAM's are a pain in a box and PRC's are less. At one point he came up with an expensive box (I believe a prototype maybe from Win M70 parts/design that he might have never sold commercially) that worked for the RSUAM's but it was too expensive so when he started doing the RSUAM's (6.5 GAP Xtreme Hunter) he went the Accurate mag route.

You say in the other 6.5 PRC thread you want to use a LA. I've used AI/Accurate 300WM mags to feed RSUAM's in a LA so I don't know why you wouldn't be able to get a PRC to function in one. I can get a PRC to function fine out of Accurate 300WSM mags in a short action. I can get RSUAM's to function in the same as well. RSUAM's are a bigger problem to get to feed out of box magazines. Some work fairly easy and some take a bunch of fiddling with. I'm sure I can get a PRC to function in a box easier than a RSUAM but haven't tried yet. Part of George Gardner's initial motivation for the PRC type case was just that, RSUAM's are a pain in a box and PRC's are less. At one point he came up with an expensive box (I believe a prototype maybe from Win M70 parts/design that he might have never sold commercially) that worked for the RSUAM's but it was too expensive so when he started doing the RSUAM's (6.5 GAP Xtreme Hunter) he went the Accurate mag route.
Thank you for your detailed reply. Do I understand you can use an Accurate 300 win mag magazine to feed the 6.5 saum in a LA R700 action? Did you have to alter the magazine lips for proper function? If so, my optimal solution is the AccurateMag bottom metal with the 5 shot 300wm magazine. I'm going to send you a PM.
Thanks again
Bill Boggs

If it will feed from an Accurate 300WM magazine it should fee fine from a Magpul magnum single stack AICS type magazine. I'm thinking from looking at it that it may need the magazine rails shortened just a bit to allow the tip to rise, or it may need a pad on the follower (I think less effective because it will just depress the spring and allow the follower to drop in front anyway). If I ever get a Nucleus long action (sigh, still waiting to order) I can do a little more definitive assessment.

If it will feed from an Accurate 300WM magazine it should fee fine from a Magpul magnum single stack AICS type magazine. I'm thinking from looking at it that it may need the magazine rails shortened just a bit to allow the tip to rise, or it may need a pad on the follower (I think less effective because it will just depress the spring and allow the follower to drop in front anyway). If I ever get a Nucleus long action (sigh, still waiting to order) I can do a little more definitive assessment.
Thanks, one person who tried it said the first one or two feed and then the remainder would not pop up, the rear appearing to be the problem. I am still looking for someone who has actually had a success with the single stack magazine in a LA. The sa with an ultramag magazine does work for the prc and saum

Bill

Last edited:
Surgeon Rem LA DBM with AI 300WM 5 rnd magazines fed fine. I tested with 5 down.
Badger M4 Rem LA on std magnum action (not Ultra mag) w/Rem factory magnum box (no windows/not Ultra mag), spring and cast machined magnum follower fed fine. I can get 3 rounds down.

Last edited:
This is why I like the Alpha mags for my 6.5 saum they may work better for the prc also.
The the step in the follower and shorter lips work.

Last edited:
Anyone have luck feeding from Savage internal mags? I have a model 12 that I'm planning on converting to a 6.5 PRC

Thanks, one person who tried it said the first one or two feed and then the remainder would not pop up, the rear appearing to be the problem. I am still looking for someone who has actually had a success with the single stack magazine in a LA. The sa with an ultramag magazine does work for the prc and saum

Bill
Which Ultramag magazine are you using? I would like to see the setup if possible. I have had to tweak the internal extended mag box from PT&G to get the PRC to feed right in a sa. Plus mill out the rear of the Remington 700 sa, per instructions on Wyatts site. Thank you for any info you can share..

Chris

Bruno Shooters Supply
Grafs.com Shooting Products
Brownells Discount Code
EuroOptic.com Scopes, Rifles, Accessories
BulletCentral.com
Midsouth Shooters

Upgrades & Donations

This Forum's expenses are primarily paid by the generous contributions of members. You can upgrade your Forum membership in seconds with PayPal. Gold and Silver members get unlimited FREE classifieds for one year. Gold members can upload custom avatars.

Click Upgrade Membership Button ABOVE to get Gold or Silver Status.

You can also donate any amount, large or small, with the button below. Include your Forum Name in the PayPal Notes field.

To DONATE by CHECK, or make a recurring donation, CLICK HERE to learn how.

Classified Ads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitewing123