Federal Ultra match

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by johara1, Jan 24, 2018.

1. johara1

johara1

Sportsman's guide has Federal Ultra on sale for 8.09 a box...jim

Rsadams and 22BRGUY like this.
  2. 22BRGUY

22BRGUY Silver $$ Contributor

THANKS JIM!

3. johara1

johara1

I heard a rumor that Federal Ultra match and RWS R50 are made the same place....... any truth to it?....... Jim

4. riverwolf1

riverwolf1

johara1 No rumor it says it on the box, really good shooting rim fire ammo.
    bought a couple of bricks at slightly more than the price you posted, and ran some quick test on a very cold day out of a new new Anschutz 1416D HB literally one ragged hole at 50 yards.

5. flatlander

flatlander

I bought some of the UM22 from Midway last year to try in my custom bbls (Benchmark, Krieger, Lilja). I got three different lots in the 20-box order - sadly, none of it shot very well out of my rifles. Find myself wishing I'd spent that same amount of $$$ on a good lot of SK Rifle or Pistol Match instead.

USMCDOC likes this.
  6. johara1

johara1

It sure shoots out of an Anschutz 1807...... I see Anschutz is carrying RWS for their guns ....... Jim

7. Tommie

Tommie Gold $$ Contributor

Remember the original UM1 ammo with the dimple in the case head? Bought a brick way back when. It was supposedly the greatest stuff made but none of my guns were particularly impressed. Still have a half dozen boxes of it.

8. johara1

johara1

This is the new stuff UM22 I believe and it shoots really good indoor 50ft. 1 hole 5 shots to zero and 250 with 25X's..... Jim

9. flatlander

flatlander

"Shoots really good indoor 50ft." There's the biggest part of the reason for a difference in yours & my opinions on the accuracy of UM22 - I've tested it at 50 & 100yds, outdoors, where it compared poorly to SK Rifle or Pistol Match, Lapua Center-X & Polar Biathlon. We don't currently have any organized indoor competitions out here, only NRL 22 & other independent 22RF PR matches, with more rounds fired for score at 100-200yds than are shot at 25-50yds. I was wondering what type of shooting you're doing after your reports of it shooting very well out of your Anschutz, and now that I know, I can understand why you were pleased with its accuracy. I was hoping to find domestic-branded 22RF ammo with accuracy comparable to the SK/Lapua brands for my application, but Fed UM22 sure isn't it - and it's made in Germany. I do have an Anschutz 2011 prone rifle - I should try what's left of the 20 boxes of UM22 I bought through it, though all my prone practice is done at 50-100yds.

SBS likes this.
  10. SBS

SBS Gold $$ Contributor

My first .22 competition was indoor gallery at 50 ft. I used Rem & later, Win. target ammo (neither made any longer). A lot of the prone shooters shot with us in the winter to keep up their shooting skills. I noticed they nearly all shot Eley Tenex. When quizzed, they told me that what I was shooting at 50 ft. was okay, but would never be competitive outdoors; which I found to be true when I tried the prone game. Even then, prone shooters tried out different lots and usually bought a case min. at a time and so used it for all their shooting. The farther you shoot, the better the ammo it requires. Similar to testing longer range CF loads, where you can get quite a few loads to shoot well at 100 yds., but many of these groups fall apart farther out.

11. johara1

johara1

Well I guess I failed to mention that it shot a 1/4" at 100 yds. with Federal Ultra match. My real Question is why Anschutz uses RWS in stead of Eley now? I see all the different Lots on the site. Also this gun is a 200 yd. gun and it sure did it's share of winning....... Jim

12. SBS

SBS Gold $$ Contributor

That's great, ammo less than half the price of Tenex shooting such groups. Better buy all you can of that lot; apparently suits your rifle well. My experience has been that of flatlander's: rather mediocre performance outdoors. I wasn't aware that Anschutz had used Tenex for their test groups that came with new rifles. I thought it had always been RWS.

USMCDOC likes this.
  13. johara1

johara1

Dennis, I can't shoot outside right now due to the winter conditions, it is something to fill in doing the winter. I was surprised that Eley won't shoot out of it. Soon as it warms up a little I will go out back and stretch it out and see what it has past 100....... Jim

14. johara1

johara1

I shot it out of my 1407 and 1413.... in the 70's and red box and black box Eley shot well back then now I guess it doesn't. Jim

15. USMCDOC

USMCDOC Silver $$ Contributor

Things have really changed since then. What i am reading is that Eley hasn't really produced outstanding ammo for a couple of years now.. i hear a lot grumble where i shoot.. Most are shooting Lapua now.. i have not shot any Eley much.. what i have shot, did so in a bad way.. I know that my rifles like Center-X and Polar Biathlon..

seymour fish and perry42 like this.
  16. flatlander

flatlander

Jim,
    Our club uses an indoor police range one nite a week during the winter months; IIRC, it's 25yds from the booths to the backstop. I spent two nites a week all through several winters down there when we were shooting IPSC & PPC pistol matches, but that was 30yrs ago, and my motivation to drive 60mi each way for an hour of prone smallbore just isn't there anymore. Fortunately, I have a 100yd smallbore range a quarter mile west of my house, so when the weather's decent enough, I head out there. We'd had a rather mild winter up until a few weeks ago, and I'd been able to get in quite a bit of 100 & 200yd shooting - but from this evening's forecast, I'm wondering if we'll see anything nice enough to entice me out to shoot for the rest of February. If that's the case, I'll be wishing I had something like your indoor range to use...quality indoor trigger time sure beats watching TV every evening.

USMCDOC likes this.
  17. johara1

johara1

I like you hate what TV. has degenerated to, The kneeling football players....... And entertainers with their political agendas ...... So I build guns and make my equipment improvements for the the year. This has been a really bad wintering it doesn't look like it will let up anytime soon.
    The restocked 1807 filled the void of winter nicely, and I'm in the process of making wind flag stands for the up coming 50/50 matches that are with in 15 miles to 40 mile max. Four a month if I want. So it was a good move, and a steep learning curve that happened really fast. I still will shoot long again once the gun is finished but the 22 does look more to my liking at 74 years old now........ Jim

seymour fish and flatlander like this.
  18. kapt

kapt Silver $$ Contributor

In my 50 years of shooting with multiple 100k rounds fired I have tried almost every 22 ammo known. In the 90's and early 2000's Eley was great ammo if you managed to get the right combination your rifle likes. At that time Lapua made good ammo especially their X-ACT high end stuff but generally was not really up to Eley Tenex. In the past 10 years Lapua has made leaps and bounds in accuracy. I have a 54 Super Match that is completely stock, a Custom Hall/Benchmark/McMillian/Tuned rifle and a Full Custom Kidd 10/22. Midas+ will out shoot any other ammo in all three at both 50m and 100m. As I said I have tried it all.. Have to change speed a bit for conditions but all around Midas+ does best for me.
    Believe it or not, the second best ammo in cold weather is SK Pistol Match Special. Not so great in hot weather because it is fast.
    Just My $.02

flatlander and USMCDOC like this.
  19. johara1

johara1

My last 22 Eley ammo was in the early 70's, now I notice the big change from Eley to what ever, we will see. What works for one doesn't work for all. Most are quoting custom barrels also....... Jim

20. Rsadams

Rsadams

That's funny you post this.. I watched a friend test the ultra and regular match at 200 the other day and the regular match shot better.. But of course it's Rimfire so each gun is different in what it likes..