Favorite mass produced bullet?

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by kris bassett, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Hanbleceya

Hanbleceya

Almost everyone in my group shoots it. I'm the maligned Hybrid shooter, but I know they can hear the steel ringing even though they appear not to...
    Good observations. Guessing many do not realize how altitude affects ballistics, even though they might plug in the variable

kris bassett likes this.
  2. kris bassett

kris bassett Silver $$ Contributor

Anybody here tried the 110 smk?

3. stacy

stacy 2 TIMOTHY 2 VERUS 15 Silver $$ Contributor

I SHOOT ALOT OF BERGERS OUT OF MY SHOP BUT I'LL SAY THIS IF I ONLY COULD HAVE ONE BRAND OF BULLET FROM HUNTING TO PAPER IT WOULD FORSURE BE HORNADY HANDS DOWN :D:D:D FOR ME !!!!!!

4. Hanbleceya

Hanbleceya

If I were still able to hunt, I would shoot Hornadys as well. They have an offering for everyone.

Do you think trophy bucks prefer have a preference?

hogpatrol, stacy and Stan Taylor like this.
  5. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor

Here is a recov
    Here is a recovered 105 gr hornady a max out of a doe that was shot at 926 yds with a 6mmbr. image_20171213_070637_1513166876464.jpg

hogpatrol, Rushty, stacy and 2 others like this.
  6. Hanbleceya

Hanbleceya

Good braggin' rights for distance! No so much for fragmentation. Where did you hit her?...and don't say "over on the west forty.";)

Thanks Stan for the pic.

Stan Taylor likes this.
  7. kris bassett

I shoot Hornady almost exclusively. I'm sure I'll end up trying their 105 bthp at some point.

Hanbleceya likes this.
  8. stacy

stacy 2 TIMOTHY 2 VERUS 15 Silver $$ Contributor

YES SIR THEY HAVE SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE FORSURE

9. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor

The bullet recovered came out of her upper back but good penetration considered the distance I didn't shoot it one of the gentleman that I set him up on long distance shooting did this an I have the video of his success I was impressed with the bullet performance even it is not logical to do that kind of shooting on game with such a small caliber not much on bragging just a guy that likes to shoot long range.

Hanbleceya likes this.
  10. Hanbleceya

Hanbleceya

Stan, I didn't mean to suggest bragging-just that is quite impressive a shot. Thanks

Stan Taylor likes this.
  11. Hanbleceya

Hanbleceya

I shoot Bergers but Hornady has a bullet for most everyone, as much more affordable price. I am considering going to Hornady, if for no other reason than Berger 105 Hybrid lack of availability.

Dgd6mm and Stan Taylor like this.
  12. Hanbleceya

Hanbleceya

Some of our guys, when competing against each other, sort their bullets by weight and ogive and I have seen a difference. So, target or hunting, it's all their as far as options.

Dgd6mm and Stan Taylor like this.
  13. Stan Taylor

Stan Taylor

Not ethical but pretty good shooting to say the least he did have a good teacher though.lol

14. AckleymanII

AckleymanII Gold $$ Contributor

For a slow twist and short freebore

60g sierra Hp-super accurate

Speer 70g TNT- you will just have to experience this bullet's accuracy to believe it

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  15. kris bassett

Dang can't beat the price with a stick either!

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/17375

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  16. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Gold $$ Contributor

We shoot steel, 500 to 1000 and groundhogs in mid to late Spring into Summer. Loads differ by bullet weight, 115s are quite a bit different than 105s. I get 3075 FPS from an XC or 243win with 115s and 3125 FPS for 105s - w/30” Broughtons or Bartleins throated accordingly.

The list of bullets is based on 1000s of bullets measured/sorted by ogives and weight and then shot in carefully prepped Brass. If the want low single digit ES and SD, start with the best bullets you can find and concentrate on Brass prep. If every case isn’t the same you’ll struggle to maintain consistenty with ES and SD. Your trying to create the same explosion, pressure, vibration, compensation etc.

New Brass Prep
    You can weight em now/later
    File case head to datum length
    Square primer pocket to proper depth
    Clean up any burrs in primer pocket hole
    FL resize with proper bushing
    Tumble
    Trim to overall length
    If your gonna neck turn do it now
    Chamfer case mouth
    Weigh again
    Tumble

Your done with Brass, now drop powder to just under your specified/known load and weigh to .02 grains, seat a quality sorted bullet. I would be shocked if the load with the prep above doesn’t hold a waterline with a good trigger puller.

Turd Fergusson

17. StevenDzupin

StevenDzupin

Sierras

18. retired

retired

except for the text that clearly says 6mm

19. Hammer47

Hammer47 I suffer fools poorly. Silver $$ Contributor

When you consider price, quality, ACCURACY, availability and the fact that these bullets are almost benchrest in quality and accuracy I would give the nod to the SIERRA 87 BTHP GAMEKING.

20. Richard Coody

Richard Coody Gold $$ Contributor

i have tried them all. hornady cheap for a reason. won't waste my money. sort a couple of 100 and you will see why.

Match Kings are nice bullets they are in second place.

but my money goes to berger.
    VLDs can shoot lights out. A little finicky to find the right seating depth. i usually shoot them jammed but they will jump. my experience when you get them dialed they will outshoot the hybrid but not by much
    the hybrid is my go to bullet. Easy to dial in. much more forgiving on seating depth. shoot lights out.