Favorite loads for the new 6.5 Creedmoor

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by HawkeyeJoe, Dec 30, 2009.

1. HawkeyeJoe

HawkeyeJoe

Just got a new Cooper chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor for Christmas and plan on reloading for it. The target that came with the rifle was shot with Varget and 120gr Amax. Is this what the Hornady factory offering is loaded with? I ordered 2 boxes of each(120gr and 140 gr Amax) of the factory stuff. If you did some load testing, I would like to hear your findings.
    Thanks, Hawkeye

2. 15Tango

15Tango

Hawkeye,

I have one but I won't put my exact load data up for I've been told it's on the edge if you know what I mean . . . Besides, the only loads I currently shoot are for F-class and they're not magazine length or anything.

H4350 is the factory powder, at least it was when it was first introduced, I'm not sure how they're loading it now that it's considered one of Hornady's "Super duper race car" whatever they're called line of ammunition. I will say H4350 with the factory load data did the exact velocity out of my rifle that it was advertised to do. With Reloder 17 I can push things farther and approach some fun velocities. Varget with a 120 grain sounds a touch fast to me and wouldn't be surprised if the velocity wasn't there compared to R17 or 4350 - never know though.

I was curious and went on Cooper's site and it appears the 6.5CM is a regular offering now which is interesting, maybe this cartridge will actually catch on in the mainstream eventually. It's a good performer and very accurate, it would be great if somebody else made some brass though.

I have some factory data written down from the American Rifleman issue from about a year ago that had an article about the 6.5CM and it had factory load data. Thing is, the data is a little different than the data published in this other article with factory data that's online http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/?p=4 for fear of posting data that can cause an issue I'll keep it to myself. I'd say running the SOP of reducing the data from that site 10% and working up should get you where you need to be.

How long's the barrel on your Cooper and what's the twist?

Wayne

3. HawkeyeJoe

HawkeyeJoe

Wayne
    I ordered the rifle back in May and thought by the time I get it, somebody else other than Hornady would be making brass and dies. Boy was I wrong. The rifle is a 9 twist with a 24 inch barrel. Standard barrel is 26". I had this built for prone and 3 position matches. That's the reason for the single sling stud and short barrel. The factory target was shot with the Hornady 120 Amax loaded with Varget. I think that's the Hornady factory offering because next to the heading "Ammo" on the target, It says Hornady not "handload". I did hear however that H4350 is used in the 140gr factory ammo.
    How many powders did you try? And could you post good start points with each so I can work them up in my rifle. My camera washes out the grain in the pictures. It looks much better in person.

Thanks,Hawkeye
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. 15Tango

15Tango

I think you'll have a hard time getting the velocities I am with a 24" barrel but the 9 twist may (should) lower your pressures a tad if I'm guessing right, and from what I've seen lower pressure means lower velocity as well - can't know for sure until you try it though.

I never did any testing with the 140 A-max so I can't help you on that, only the 140 Berger VLD and 142 SMK. The 140 VLD I'm still messing with and the 142 SMK I was able to get 2980 out of but pressure was for sure over so I backed it down to 2925.

120 A-max
    H4350 - 44.7 Gr
    2.720"
    Hornady Brass
    CCI #200 primer = 3010 FPS - this is supposed to be the factory load according to the A.R. magazine data and it was spot on for what Hornady claimed for velocity.

120 A-max
    Reloder 17 - 42.5 gave 2935 fps, 43.4 gave 3020 fps and 45.0 gave 3170 fps but I stopped there with that bullet.
    2.740" COAL - .020" longer than factory.
    Hornady brass
    Remington primer.

You'll have to custom taylor everything to your rifle of course, work up slow and there shouldn't be any surprises. That 6.5CM is very accurate though and the recoil's very mild.

I always liked that Cooper model (21 I believe?) with the varmint fore end and Buick holes. I wish Cooper would state the yardage on their factory targets.

Wayne

5. HawkeyeJoe

HawkeyeJoe

After break in with the factory rounds I want to try the Berger 140 VLD's and H4350. I have plenty of both on hand for my 6.5/284. Not sure how they'll work with a short barrel and 9 twist though. Ever try RE15?

Edit: IT'S A MODEL 22

6. 15Tango

15Tango

If you have the 140 VLDs and H4350 handy I'd use the 4350, don't bother with the Varget or R15 with the 140s, it'll be too fast and just spike pressure. When you run out of H4350 try R17 in it, you'll get better velocity or if you'd prefer, lower pressure and longer case life. When you start jacking that 6.5CM up fast the brass seems to only go for 5-8 loadings before the primer pockets are loose. It'd be nice if Lapua would make the brass but I'm not holding my breath, at least the Hornady brass is relatively cheap.

I suspect the 140 VLDs will stabilize fine with enough speed in the 9 twist.

Varget or R15 might be interesting with some light bullets in that 100 grain area for a varmint load, maybe a 95 grain V-max - that would be interesting.

7. Viperdoc

Viperdoc

Out of my Tubb T2K I can routinely get five shot groups of less than ..3-0.4 inches off of sand bags at 100 yds with Hornady factory ammo 140gr. Loaded up some Sierra MK's 142 with H4350 as well as Reloder 17, but it's too cold to try them right now. The Hornady box does actually post the load with H4350- didn't seem too hot in my gun, but didn't use a chrono, either. It's just too cold outside (single digits today)

8. HawkeyeJoe

HawkeyeJoe

I don't plan on shooting any fast varmint loads. The 120-140gr bullets and everywhere in between are my only interests. I'll definitely try some RE17 with the 140 grain pills. After going through several reloading manuals and burn rate charts, it looks like I'll be trying some Vihtavuori N140 with the 120gr bullets. N140 is one of my favorite powders. Now it's time to start comparing the B.C. numbers and decide what Berger bullet to shoot. Thanks for the info!

9. 15Tango

15Tango

Viper,

I hear you, it's -2 here today in Minnesota.

Hawkeye,

I'll save you the time on the Berger BC question for 140 grain, it's part # 264140v, its listed BC is .640. In the 120 class the 123 Scenar seems to own it and they're boringly consistent.

wayne

10. HawkeyeJoe

HawkeyeJoe

Anybody try forming brass out of an existing caliber that has quality brass available? The 123's sound Very tempting ;)

11. 15Tango

15Tango

I haven't tried fire forming something but others with more talent than I may be able to figure out something that would work.

Here's my table of the 123 Scenar, I point them and add a little to the BC figure to try and guess what it's at after the pointing.

Attached Files:

12. HawkeyeJoe

HawkeyeJoe

My factory Hornady showed today and to my surprise the 120gr Amax is loaded with 39.0 grains of Varget.

13. Raptor

Raptor

Don't discount Varget. I have had a couple of 260s that loved Varget with the 140 AMAXs. My load was 37.5 with one rifle and 38 to 38.5 with the other.

My new 260 will not shoot any of my 4350 loads as well as it will shoot the Varget loads. I am using 123 Lapuas now in my 260s and my new rifle loves the 123s with a load of 40.5grs of Varget. (NOTE.....These loads are or were safe in my rifles so start lower and work your way up.)

14. HawkeyeJoe

HawkeyeJoe

I'm getting 2830fps with the factory 120's out of my 24 inch 9 twist barrel. No signs of pressure and very light recoil. It's a nice little round, Can't wait to see what it can do when it warms up.

15. wbm

wbm

Just build a Creedmoor on a new Savage stainless, accutrigger action. Bought a Krieger/Criterion 26" 1-8 twist match barrel. Will send a range report as soon as I can get to the range....-20 last night and snow on the ground so the range ain't exactly shooter friendly right now.

16. moore_man

moore_man

Used these loads in a DPMS and currently have a CREED being made by AZ Precision Gunsmithing. I plan on going right to the 130 berger VLD hunting bullet(.552B.C) and H4350. Looking to get 2800fps from a 24" Shilin Select Match with out pushing anything.

130 berger
    42.5-43.0 grns H4350
    Hornady brass of course
    CCI BR-2 large rifle primer
    2.80 OAL

139 Lapua/ 140 A-Max
    42.0 H4350
    Hornady brass
    CCI BR-2 Primer
    2.80 OAL

17. offgrid

offgrid

Running the 130VLD's @ 2960. Very accurate. 26" 8 twist. 2800 will be EZ.

I'm jumping them .038. OAL 2.875. That's as long as can go and still reliably mag feed.

If you are planning on shooting just the 130VLD's, maybe consider getting a reamer made for a shorter OAL?

18. 15Tango

15Tango

I'm pretty sure the 130 shares the same jacket die and ogive as the 140, it just has less lead in it. That would mean you'd want the same leade as for a 140. Maybe I'm wrong.

19. moore_man

moore_man

Whats youre powder and charge?.I plan on this rifle being my tactical competition rifle and I want a fast, accurate load with a good B.C.
    Also! Do you have a Detach Box Mag? 2.875 Seems long to not shoot single shot? My DPMS wouldnt cycle with anything over 2.810 OAL.

20. offgrid

offgrid

Wayne, I was comparing the 139Scenar/140 Amax to the 130VLD. If I were building another CM and planned on only shooting the 130/140 VLD's, would go for a shorter throat which would allow the option of jamming the lands and keep all or most of the bullet seated in the neck and mag feed.

Kevin