f6.5 cm resizing problem

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by BW64, Nov 24, 2017.

1. BW64

BW64

So.. I had to call McGowen & they sent GShack an email so I could send the barrel back. WOW. Not impressed.

BW

2. MNbogboy

MNbogboy

Maybe you have already tried this but one more check before you send it back is to place two thicknesses of scotch tape on the back of the go gauge. Trim tape round with scissors. They are approximate .002 thick your bolt should not close with the tape on the go gauge. If it does then you are set more than .002 headspace. Often setting the barrel nut will change the headspace and it takes more than a try or two to get it perfect.
    At least in my experience and I have rebarreled a couple dozen or so Savages.

Good Luck,
    Randy

3. BW64

BW64

[hanksQUOTE="MNbogboy, post: 37100203, member: 1276877"]Maybe you have already tried this but one more check before you send it back is to place two thicknesses of scotch tape on the back of the go gauge. Trim tape round with scissors. They are approximate .002 thick your bolt should not close with the tape on the go gauge. If it does then you are set more than .002 headspace. Often setting the barrel nut will change the headspace and it takes more than a try or two to get it perfect.
    At least in my experience and I have rebarreled a couple dozen or so Savages.

Good Luck,
    Randy[/QUOTE]

Thanks Randy. Yeah I did that numerous times when I installed the barrel. Worked perfectly.

BW
    T

4. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

There are a few more details worth mentioning here. If you set your die to touch the shell holder at the top of the ram's travel, with no case being sized, and then insert a lubed fired case and raise the ram to the top again, sizing the case, you are likely to see that where there was no gap, one has appeared...that will give you some additional room for die adjustment. You need to bump relative to what a fired case that is tight in your chamber, minus primer, measures. One fired brass will generally work with the shoulder in the same location ( 0 bump) as it came out of the rifle after firing, because it takes a couple of neck sized firings for the shoulder to head dimension of fired brass to reach its maximum) If the die is correct for the chamber .001 of actual measured bump for the camber's maximum achievable fired case head to shoulder dimension should give you a good bolt close with no problems. An issue that can come up is that because of variations in brass hardness the same die setting can produce different shoulder to head dimensions, so it is a good idea to check all of your cases as you size them to see what the result has bee for that individual case, If you happen to use a relatively hard case to set your die others that are not as hard will have their shoulders bumped more than you intended, and if the case that you use is one of the softer ones, harder cases' shoulders may not be bumped at all. A friend of mine had this problem when working with a couple of magnums, a 7mm WSM and a .338 Lapua. He had a large shooting budget so I directed him to one of the better rotary annealers and we set it up to do just enough to uniform the bump without making his necks too soft.

5. BW64

BW64

Thanks Boyd. I'm familiar with that process & understand different brass will resize differently. my problem is case diameter near the base. It's coming out of the gun .004 more than SAMII specs. So even if I neck size it will not fit into a Wilson or RCBS seater die. Thanks for the input. I can't wait to see what McGowen has to say.

BW

6. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

Sorry about that I got carried away. You probably noticed that the chamber drawing included a +.002 tolerance, but even so your chamber is oversized at the back. They need to send you a new barrel. I would point out to them that on a replacement they should be able to get that done inside of a week given that you do not want a redo of your barrel. If you send them the barrel and one fired case they should be able to reach a conclusion just about instantly. Anything else is stalling.

BW64 likes this.
  7. BW64

BW64

Yep. Sent the barrel & 2 cases. When I told the guy on the phone it seemed like the chamber was a tad oversized he says "well that's your opinion". That's when I knew I would have a problem with them. I can assure you if they don't solve the problem they will be blasted on every social media & gun forum I can find!!

BW

8. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

If they don't make it good, why would anyone buy one of their barrels? If your measurement is correct, your tools accurate, then either they have an out of spec. reamer that they should have picked up on before they started using it, or their barreling process is not correct. Either way, it does not reflect on them well. I have seen some of the Criterion barrels that have done very well.

BW64 likes this.
  9. BW64

BW64

en, post: 37100260, member: 185107"]If they don't make it good, why would anyone buy one of their barrels? If your measurement is correct, your tools accurate, then either they have an out of spec. reamer that they should have picked up on before they started using it, or their barreling process is not correct. Either way, it does not reflect on them well. I have seen some of the Criterion barrels that have done very well.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Have a Criterion on my Rem 700 in .308. Great shooter.

BW

10. BW64

BW64

GOOD NEWS!! Heard from McGowen. They are replacing the barrel due to the rear of the chamber being out of spec. :)

BW

243winxb likes this.
  11. BW64

BW64

Got my new barrel yesterday. Now to break in & find a load.

12. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox

This thread is enough to give me the jitters. Got a Creed barrel on order from them myself.

13. Clucknmoan

Clucknmoan Silver $$ Contributor

2 bad barrels from McGowen last year. Sent the first one in, after inspection told me it was a bad batch of steel. Took them 13 weeks to get me a replacememt. Replacement was bad as well, admitted another bad one out of that bad batch. Refunded my money. Never again.

14. BW64

BW64

I'm not liking this reply!! :(

BW

15. Clucknmoan

Probably just a fluke, anyone can produce a bad barrel. Two in a row was frustrating. It was the 13 weeks to get one that did me in.

16. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox

Double jitters now. What cal was this one in?

17. BW64

BW64

Yeah I got lucky with 4 weeks I guess.

BW

18. Clucknmoan

6.5 x 284

19. WEL

WEL

Fwiw I have a 7 mag Mcgowen barrel that is a tack driver. A buddy has a 260 and a 6.5 284 that are accurate as well.