f6.5 cm resizing problem

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by BW64, Nov 24, 2017.

1. BW64

BW64

OK So I put a new McGowan barrel from Gun Shack on my Axis XP. Head space is perfect. My fired brass will go back into the chamber but will not fit in my Wilson seater die or my case headspace gauge. If I fl resize it works. If I neck size it doesn't. Oversize chamber reamed??? Using Peterson srp brass if that matters. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, BW

2. mikecr

mikecr

Oversize chamber
    I don't see your brass lasting long

3. Prose

Prose

I don't think there is enough info here to say your chamber is oversized. From your description, you have a perfectly working system. The fact that your chamber is larger than your dies is perfectly normal. Take some measurements and figure out by how much, and adjust accordingly.

4. BW64

BW64

Thank you for the reply.
    What other info is required? Should I just fl size & toss the brass when it looks bad? I neck size my .308 & have more than 10 firings on the brass.

BW

5. 243winxb

243winxb

A Wilson cartridge gage should only measure head to datum.. The body diameter of a fired case should not keep the brass from entering the gage.

If using a Lyman gage, it does check case body diameters, but only fl sized brass. No fired brass should fit.

Measure your fired brass, see how they compare to SAAMI chamber measurements.

Screenshot_20171124-204638.jpg

6. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Silver $$ Contributor

Did you use a head space gauge to set the head space or a fired case? If you used a head space gauge I would think that you should full length resize your cases and then each firing after that you could neck size. The brass if fired from a different barrel could have been fired in an over sized chamber or one with improper head space.

7. Wingzero

Wingzero

Wilson case gage is intended to be used with fired case.

8. BW64

BW64

Thank you for the info.
    Forster head space gauge. All brass fired from same barrel. 5 firings & I still have to fl every firing size. Tried neck size & shoulder was too long. Specs say 1551 max. shoulder. My fired brass comes out 1557-1559. I have to run through the fl size twice to get it to fit the chamber. Maybe I should reset head space with longest piece of fired brass???

BW

9. BW64

BW64

Thank you for the info.
    Yes Lyman gauge. Have some loaded to fire on Sunday. I'll get back with the dimensions.

BW

10. Ringostar

Ringostar

You say that the head space is perfect. Do you have the go gauge that was used when installing the barrel? If so, then measure the base to datum on that vs your fired cases.

11. BW64

BW64

Yes I have to go gauge. It measures 1.555. Action closes smoothly. That's what I meant by perfect. So allowing
    002 for space that means my brass at 1.557 should work but it does not. It will close if I force it.

BW

12. 243winxb

243winxb

If taking measurements with a comparator, its not accurate enough to compare to the chamber specifications. How the FL sized brass chambers in your rifle is more accurate. Not all FL dies are the same. IMO.

Full length size ever loading, with press cam over would seem the way to go.

13. BW64

BW64

OK Just fired some loads. The measurement at the base of the case should be .471 but my fired brass is .475 & it slides right back in the chamber with no effort to close the bolt. That seems like a lot to me but I'm not an expert. What's your take?? Is the chamber oversized? Should I try a different seating die so I don't have to fl size every time? Thank you.

14. 243winxb

243winxb

Looks oversize. I would try to return barrel for a replacement.
    Get others options. I am not a gunsmith.

15. fyrewall

fyrewall

I would agree with Prose.
    McGowen uses standard SAAMI dimensions for standard cartridges like your 6.5 Creedmore.
    This is not worth agonizing over - if in doubt email McGowen and their very nice gunsmith might provide a professional evaluation of your situation.

16. BW64

BW64

Thank you gentlemen. Appreciate the help. :)

BW

17. 243winxb

243winxb

From Wilson
    Chamber Type Bullet Seater
    https://lewilson.com/instruction-sheets/

18. BW64

BW64

Aha!! Thank you didn't know they would adjust it. A new case fits perfectly. Thanks.

BW

19. 243winxb

243winxb

I would contact the barrel company first. Start there.

Or full length size every loading.

Good luck.

BW64 likes this.
  20. BW64

BW64

Spoke to Gun Shack today & they are picking up the shipping to McGowen. 6-8 weeks turn around.

BW

243winxb likes this.