F-T/R guys - Load dev from a bipod or rest?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by MikeMcCasland, Mar 24, 2019.

1. MikeMcCasland

MikeMcCasland Gold $$ Contributor

Title pretty much says it all. If you're shooting F-T/R do you perform load development off a rest to aid in consistency, or are y'all shooting everything as you would in competition?

2. Medic505

Medic505 Dean Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

I switched to shooting everything prone. Just back from doing some tuner twisting and I shot it prone also. Just like competition. I know those who test from a rest and it works fine for them. Whatever works best for you is what I'd recommend.

I'll edit and add, for me, shooting prone helps manage recoil. It also gives me time on the rifle holding up my noggin. Strengthens the neck for competition

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    JCUtah likes this.
  3. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Gold $$ Contributor

Develop it like you shoot it. If you're shooting Ftr comp, that should also be your best shooting position.

Jacob.A, B Nettesheim and Medic505 like this.
  4. Down South

Down South FTR Junkie Gold $$ Contributor

I've always done my load work from the bench on a front rest but like Dean said, whatever works best for you is the way to go.

Dgd6mm and JBT like this.
  5. Peebles24

Peebles24

I actually shoot best from prone so i try to always shoot that way.

6. iron308

iron308

+1

7. xswanted

xswanted Gold $$ Contributor

Not an FTR shooter but I shoot off bipods laying prone a lot. I do load development off a bipod on a bench or prone. Seems to work well.

8. Jarhead6870

Jarhead6870 Silver $$ Contributor

Like many above, I do my load work like I shoot...in my case it’s prone. I’m of the belief that management of the recoil impulse is different when shooting from a bench vs prone and I want my loads to be consistent with my normal shooting position.

hpshooter likes this.
  9. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

This is exactly how I do it and feel. It works for me.

10. Down South

Down South FTR Junkie Gold $$ Contributor

I personally shoot better groups from the bench and can really fine tune the load. My thoughts have always been I wanna get the best load possible from the gun, not see how good I can shoot off a bipod in prone position even though that's how I shoot in a match. Maybe I'm wrong and missing out on something by not developing the load shooting prone on the bipod?

11. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold $$ Contributor

I shoot the Cortina method from the bench at 100 for load development then go to the 500 and shoot 20 prone to verify

12. milanuk

milanuk Gold $$ Contributor

Jade, I do pretty much the same thing. I want to remove as much 'me' from the load development process as I can. Once I have the load working to my satisfaction I move to prone and concentrate on form.

And for what it's worth, I've seen you shoot; I don't think you're giving up anything ;)

Dgd6mm and Nature Boy like this.
  13. Jdne5b

Jdne5b Gold $$ Contributor

I can never get comfortable on a bench, and don't own a rest. So I shoot prone/bipod. One of these days I'll pick up a Seb-Mini and maybe use it prone. I only have benches available at 100 and 200.

14. K22

K22

I don't shot F Class but I do a lot of precision varmint and predator shooting and have learned a few things about load development and sight in that work very well, at least for me.

I've always conducted load development in the most stable position meaning off the bench with front and rear supports. The idea is to wring out an accurate load combo for that rifle and eliminate as much human error as possible to determine the full accuracy potential of a load.

Once I have determine an acceptably accurate load I do all my sight in work the way that I hunt meaning off my shooting cross sticks because the rifle will shoot differently off the sticks versus the bench. I also practice a lot off the sticks to refine the sight in. In this manner I have a much better sight in for the field and achieve better field results.

Just offering this since the principle may apply to F Class shooting.

15. BP1

BP1 Team Texas F-TR Gold $$ Contributor

I always do mine shooting prone,i can’t shoot off a bench to save my life.

16. Quickoz

Quickoz

I do mine prone off bipod. I can't shoot well off a bench. Just not comfy at all. But your gun handling must be good to do it well no matter what.

17. Trevor60

Trevor60

From a Bench. Like Down South i want to get as much mechanical consistency as possible.

1) Front rest removes side to side movement (rifle can only travel in one direction) back
    2) Front rest bump stop. enables me to return the rifle to the same point each time. It also means the butt section is in the same location in the rear bag.
    3) Front rest allows control of the compression to the front bag acting on the sides of the rifle by mechanical means, i can increase or decrease the amount of tension and have more consistent release when the shot is fired.
    4) Returning the rifle back to battery will return the cross hairs to my point of aim on the target. Big win here, i don't influence the cross hairs by shouldering or cheeking the rifle which almost completely eliminates human interference. trigger pressure is all that is required.
    5) Benches are usually made of concrete and perfectly level which translates into a level rifle, and scope cant.

All the best.
    Trevor

18. MikeMcCasland

MikeMcCasland Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks for the feedback guys....sounds like I need to find a local range that will even allow prone shooting, or get used to driving longer distances. ;)